BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
steve640d
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport+

Intermittent vibration

Hi All,

My first post to this forum after purchasing my 2018 640d gran coupe. You guys have done some great work on your cars from the pics!

Generally very happy with it having previously had an e60 525d and f10 530d. However on idle (either in p or d), I'm getting intermittent vibration which can be heard a little and on the odd occasion felt through the brake pedal.

Don't get me wrong it's not a big issue but nothing I've experienced on my previous 5 series. The car has only 7k miles on it and the dealer didn't really recognise it as a fault and confirmed no fault codes.

The needle on the rev counter can also be seen twitching every now and again on idle although this doesn't happen at the same time as the vibration.

When I first bought my 530d with only 23k miles on the clock you could feel it rocking when in drive whilst stationery which was rectified by the dealer cleaning (the manifold??? Of carbon build up) but I'm assuming at 7k miles this is unlikely on this car.

I've got the car booked back in again on Friday as the brakes have been squealing so they're going to have another look then.

So I thought I'd ask you guys what you think it could be as i dont accept it's normal?

Thanks

Steve.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:01 AM   #2
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Hi Steve,
Welcome to club. You know .....

The vibration at idle sounds like the air-mass sensor but that will normaly call for a code. maybe the spark plugs are wet. I had that long time ago with another car.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
steve640d
Rep

Thanks, I'll ask them to check the MAF in case it is dirty already and not flagging an error code.

Anything else anyone else can suggest?

Pic of car attached. Colour is Sonic Speed Blue C1A.
The grille, wing mirrors and door handle inserts have been wrapped in black (by the dealer as it was an ex demo car)
Attached Images

Last edited by steve640d; 01-03-2019 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: With pic!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Below the submit reply botton is another box “additional options” and there you click on “manage attachments” you have to lock after the size of the pic you want to upload.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
steve640d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
Below the submit reply botton is another box “additional options” and there you click on “manage attachments” you have to lock after the size of the pic you want to upload.
Thanks for that, done it now...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve640d View Post
Anything else anyone else can suggest?

Yes...when posting pics like this...remember to leave some detail...like WHAT COLOR is this car.?

This helps the forum be informative...not just for now...but later. The end of the f06 models is already written in stone...so when future owners are perusing this site for information and knowledge...if we (the current members) are uploading images etc...please be mindful to leave info/data so that anyone reading/seeing your posts will not leave with a mystery as to what they are looking at or what modification has been done.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
steve640d
Rep

Ok, so the vibration only seems to happen in drive in 1st gear at idle speed. If it doesn't happen and I slide the gear lever over to manual/sport it starts vibrating!

It has also just started to make a slight squealing brake like noise at various speeds and the sound remains constant (We'll I've only just noticed if it's been there a while).

Can't get the car in for another 2 weeks at the garage, but with no fault codes what could this be? Only 9k on the clock!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #8
Jay928S4GT
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 928s4 GT, GC6

Hello Steve, did you manage to resolve the problem as I have the same issue?
cheers.
Appreciate 0