BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

CarPlay retrofit diy f06

Had a great time doing this retrofit myself, hardest part was finding space for all the cable harness bulk... that part was challenging - the rest was a breeze...

CarPlay and android auto on a 10.5" display looks amazing!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Whipple260.50
Logical209.50
      11-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

This looks awesome. Is it smooth operation?
What year is your car?
Is it wireless CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
What year is your car?
Is it wireless CarPlay?
It's a 2015, M6 grand coupe competition, carbon ceramic breaks, individualized - citron - dual tone interior...

The speed and responsiveness is instant - it runs off your iPhone (CarPlay) and wirelessly. The audio quality is also amazing thx to the fiber optic cable io in these cars... the integration from the MMI prime is as good as it gets. All stock functionality and features are untouched. Doing the retrofit myself just made it more fun but do consider a pro shop as fitting the harness and bulk into the small space can get hairy...

Overall the car feels like it just got new life thx to the CarPlay functionality. Great thing about this retrofit is that it also includes iPhone mirroring! I'll post what that looks like when I take a drive later on...

This was my early Xmas toy to myself
Appreciate 3
      11-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
What year is your car?
Is it wireless CarPlay?
It's a 2015, M6 grand coupe competition, carbon ceramic breaks, individualized - citron - dual tone interior...

The speed and responsiveness is instant - it runs...
This was my early Xmas toy to myself
Appreciate it. I'm sold!
Now this or a bm3 tune for Christmas 🤔🤔
Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #5
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Just wonderful! This is something I have been on the fence about but want to do badly. I love that it is wireless and does mirroring.

I think these mods provide a far greater value for owners than anything you could do additional big exhaust note or HP bless you get a built engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 03:29 AM   #6
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

I've been thinking about this.. there is another company that has more up to date software with faster hardware. I am not an iPhone user so I don't know how much it will help for the droid users..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
I've been thinking about this.. there is another company that has more up to date software with faster hardware. I am not an iPhone user so I don't know how much it will help for the droid users..
Well the CarPlay ui and features (software) lives on the iPhone itself same for android auto that lives on the android phone os. Each os update ether iPhone (ios) or android brings all its features and benefits instantly. There is no update natively on the cpu framework (mmi prime) needed...

This is also superior to the nav on our vehicles natively in my opinion... maps are live and current always...

Overall I absolutely love it! In general helps to understand the way the different ios protocols work (CarPlay, airplay, mirroring) they all work differently.
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #8
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Looks straight forward not to difficult ,thanks for sharing I was just thinking about having CarPlay in my M6 the other day

2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #9
Badboy8813
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 Frozen SS 2014 M6 CP

ordered! looking forward to the install
      11-30-2020, 12:14 AM   #10
Speednlux
Private
Rep
Drives: F12

Will this module work in a 2012 M6?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:21 AM   #11
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Looks straight forward not to difficult ,thanks for sharing I was just thinking about having CarPlay in my M6 the other day

Lmao indeed it's simple only notice on their video they skip over the fitment and placement of the device and cable harness...

You too will pause and be like wtf... but it's possible just run the cables as organized as possible and slot the slack over to the back left then place the mmi flat against the back wall with connectors coming from the top side, then flush that as far left as possible so that the only open space left is on the right side of the mmi. That little void is barely enough to force the harness block to squeeze into - as you push everything closed and finish.

Connections and all takes 30mins or less.. sorting fitment was like 30 mins lol

Oh, test it before you screw anything down...

Tip: the harness terminals are shit quality, be careful not to break the end harness terminal clip as mine fell off and required careful handling.

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      11-30-2020, 03:24 AM   #12
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speednlux View Post
Will this module work in a 2012 M6?
Text them as they may have a different install and harness, don't take my word for it as I'm not 100% sure if it's the same for your year model.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #13
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Lmao indeed it's simple only notice on their video they skip over the fitment and placement of the device and cable harness...

You too will pause and be like wtf... but it's possible just run the cables as organized as possible and slot the slack over to the back left then place the mmi flat against the back wall with connectors coming from the top side, then flush that as far left as possible so that the only open space left is on the right side of the mmi. That little void is barely enough to force the harness block to squeeze into - as you push everything closed and finish.

Tip: the harness terminals are shit quality, be careful not to break the end harness terminal clip as mine fell off and required careful handling.

Cheers!
I seen towards the end of the vid he placed the module underneith everything ,it looked like he dropped it into a hole and the wiring he shrunk up with velcro and said keep most if it towards the left, I believe you im sure it a pain to get all the crap stuffed into that tight spot ,Im sure it nerve racking to say the least,I would saying slow movements and taking your time will be your best friend

How do you like it so far?
Can you play the radio while your in Apple car play?
If there was something you dont like what is it ?Pros and cons

Thanks
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #14
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Quote:

Cheers!
I seen towards the end of the vid he placed the module underneith everything ,it looked like he dropped it into a hole and the wiring he shrunk up with velcro and said keep most if it towards the left, I believe you im sure it a pain to get all the crap stuffed into that tight spot ,Im sure it nerve racking to say the least,I would saying slow movements and taking your time will be your best friend

How do you like it so far?
Can you play the radio while your in Apple car play?
If there was something you dont like what is it ?Pros and cons

Thanks
I absolutely love the CarPlay experience using ios 14! As a huge apple fan it was missing from my eco system per say till now. I can say that so far the only learning curve I have experienced was with the Bluetooth configuration, let me explain.

So basically without this retrofit I would have my phone paired and so phone calls and music from my iPhone would just play and accept calls all using Bluetooth instantly without any cables or fussing... Also navigating sirius xm radio was instant as well no need to worry about much...

Now with the CarPlay retrofit you will have a new connection both WiFi and Bluetooth specific to CarPlay. Now keep in mind you can switch on your phone from the previous Bluetooth to the CarPlay Bluetooth and toggle between native Sirius xm and radio and then if you prefer to CarPlay Bluetooth to keep all flowing from this source.

To keep things from defaulting to native car Bluetooth I removed "forgot" the prior Bluetooth pairing and kept the new "CarPlay" pairing. The main reason to my preference was to keep my default experience 100% CarPlay.

The experience is a huge upgrade going to CarPlay, from accepting and making calls to speaking to Siri, to navigating the map and now sometime even newer for me which I have not yet tried is migrating to sirius xm CarPlay app vs the default native setup...

Switching back and fourth from nav and radio is just as simple as pressing the menu button on the idrive. It all works incredibly better then I would have expected.

Has the newness effect worn off? No! I am still learning on all the features and ui/ux and also exploring new apps that offer CarPlay experience - you install them on your phone and if they offer CarPlay capabilities they are instantly available... think waze app for example! Also Sirius app!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      12-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #15
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is what Sirius XM looks like with CarPlay:

Worth noting - on the mobile app for Sirius you can set your preferred streaming audio quality which I think is an upgrade on its own...

Furthermore - one can customize and edit CarPlay home screen icon arrangement see pics - this is under "general settings/CarPlay/customize"
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #16
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is a great source of CarPlay apps to explore:

https://www.9to5mac.com/2020/01/01/b...or-iphone/amp/
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #17
Airz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Sakhir Coupe

This looks really cool. Does the music played through carplay work with the cars standard Logic 7 (Harman Kardon) DSP? The reason I asked is because the car already has an equalizer but I see that the MMI also has an EQ so wondering if the cars normal logic7 DSP/equalizer gets overrided somehow.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #18
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Msparta;26969564]I absolutely love the CarPlay experience using ios 14! As a huge apple fan it was missing from my eco system per say till now. I can say that so far the only learning curve I have experienced was with the Bluetooth configuration, let me explain.

So basically without this retrofit I would have my phone paired and so phone calls and music from my iPhone would just play and accept calls all using Bluetooth instantly without any cables or fussing... Also navigating sirius xm radio was instant as well no need to worry about much...

Now with the CarPlay retrofit you will have a new connection both WiFi and Bluetooth specific to CarPlay. Now keep in mind you can switch on your phone from the previous Bluetooth to the CarPlay Bluetooth and toggle between native Sirius xm and radio and then if you prefer to CarPlay Bluetooth to keep all flowing from this source.

To keep things from defaulting to native car Bluetooth I removed "forgot" the prior Bluetooth pairing and kept the new "CarPlay" pairing. The main reason to my preference was to keep my default experience 100% CarPlay.

The experience is a huge upgrade going to CarPlay, from accepting and making calls to speaking to Siri, to navigating the map and now sometime even newer for me which I have not yet tried is migrating to sirius xm CarPlay app vs the default native setup...

Switching back and fourth from nav and radio is just as simple as pressing the menu button on the idrive. It all works incredibly better then I would have expected.

Has the newness effect worn off? No! I am still learning on all the features and ui/ux and also exploring new apps that offer CarPlay experience - you install them on your phone and if they offer CarPlay capabilities they are instantly available... think waze app for example! Also Sirius app![/QUOT

Sweet! Thanks for the info and the follow up on the experience.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #19
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for the picks and the tip for the apps. This is the first thing I plan on doing after the first of the year. I hate not having a place ot keep my phone when driving. With it in my pocket the hey siri function rarely works for obvious reasons. I use spotify and apple music subscriptions almost 100% of the time and prefer to not have to wire up to the cars usb for bmw apps to access my phones maps.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #20
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airz View Post
This looks really cool. Does the music played through carplay work with the cars standard Logic 7 (Harman Kardon) DSP? The reason I asked is because the car already has an equalizer but I see that the MMI also has an EQ so wondering if the cars normal logic7 DSP/equalizer gets overrided somehow.
Yeah all audio passes through the audio fiber optic cable which ensures speakers and signal is at full band - I find that music played thus far sound far better then before the retrofit...
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      12-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #21
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the picks and the tip for the apps. This is the first thing I plan on doing after the first of the year. I hate not having a place ot keep my phone when driving. With it in my pocket the hey siri function rarely works for obvious reasons. I use spotify and apple music subscriptions almost 100% of the time and prefer to not have to wire up to the cars usb for bmw apps to access my phones maps.
Im also on Apple Music subscription, what I find very enjoyable is the improved map and nav across apps the available nav apps, plus the call functions and chat via Siri.

Another surprise is the red light camera locations that are shown on the native Apple Maps while on a route!

Was messing with the waze app today, Weatherology and NPR one. Waze for some reason felt too much like a novelty for me... Weatherology is awesome - basically localized weather forecasts with your choice of voice and background music!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #22
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Im also on Apple Music subscription, what I find very enjoyable is the improved map and nav across apps the available nav apps, plus the call functions and chat via Siri.

Another surprise is the red light camera locations that are shown on the native Apple Maps while on a route!

Was messing with the waze app today, Weatherology and NPR one. Waze for some reason felt too much like a novelty for me... Weatherology is awesome - basically localized weather forecasts with your choice of voice and background music!
Nice, I didn’t realize the Apple
Maps had red light cameras marked now. Living in Florida kind of makes ya a weather nerd just because stuff gets crazy last minute add to that hurricanes and traffic multiplied by speed traps and red light cameras equals a much needed integrated solution.
Appreciate 0