BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
DarrenDre
Rep
Drives: bmw M6 gran coupe

Smile Buying Used M6 With Kw Suspension

Hi. I am new in this forum. I am looking to buy a 2014 M6 but it has a KW suspension and the dealer told me that because the last owner change the suspension, the driver could no longer adjust the suspension using ICM (Integrated Chassis Management)

my question is what is ICM? and is this a big problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6;E92 M3;E85 Z4M; 958 SEH

You can't change the ride stiffness anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

correct. you need a module delete for that...thinks its the edc delete kit. Or you can buy the more expensive KWs with the edc in the shock already
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
KSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime456 View Post
correct. you need a module delete for that...thinks its the edc delete kit. Or you can buy the more expensive KWs with the edc in the shock already
I don't think KW manufactures a kit with EDC (or ICM, the new name for it) for the 6 series. What they can provide is an EDC Delete Module, which is a feedback loop to prevent the system from registering an "EDC Malfuntion" error.

I installed the KW Variant 3 with EDC Delete in my 535i. The kit has transformed the car - float is entirely gone, ride is outstandingly crisp but very comfortable (I use KW's recommended base settings). Lowering the car an inch also looks fantastic. One caveat: the EDC delete is via a wire which is prone to pinching or snagging somehow. Three of the four corners have required a repair so far.

I would love to try a 6 with KW's installed. Mine floats like an ocean liner, just like the 535i did when I first got it. It's the one thing I don't love about the car.

Will I put the KW kit in my 640? Not sure -- doesn't need lowering, may try something else.

Last edited by Errowen; 02-22-2018 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
DarrenDre
Rep
Drives: bmw M6 gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowen View Post
I don't think KW manufactures a kit with EDC (or ICM, the new name for it) for the 6 series. What they can provide is an EDC Delete Module, which is a feedback loop to prevent the system from registering an "EDC Malfuntion" error.

I installed the KW Variant 3 with EDC Delete in my 535i. The kit has transformed the car - float is entirely gone, ride is outstandingly crisp but very comfortable (I use KW's recommended base settings). Lowering the car an inch also looks fantastic. One caveat: the EDC delete is via a wire which is prone to pinching or snagging somehow. Three of the four corners have required a repair so far.

I would love to try a 6 with KW's installed. Mine floats like an ocean liner, just like the 535i did when I first got it. It's the one thing I don't love about the car.

Will I put the KW kit in my 640? Not sure -- doesn't need lowering, may try something else.
what kind of repair that you do to those three corners? did you go to the bmw dealer to repair the KW suspension or just go to any auto shop that carry KW suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDre View Post
what kind of repair that you do to those three corners? did you go to the bmw dealer to repair the KW suspension or just go to any auto shop that carry KW suspension?
Small guage wire that forms the feedback loop was broken - got caught or pinched somehow. BMW dealership service soldered it back together, wrapped it in shrink wrap - on each corner.
Appreciate 0