BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #1
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW

9 year old car with 28,000 KM (~17k miles)

Let's say you are looking at a 2014 with 28k KM / 17k miles on it.
Had all the regular service done at BMW from 2014 to 2017.

First oil change was at 2000 KM, and then every 5000 or so it was done.
Last mileage recorded in 2017 was 16,000 KM with an oil change.

Since then BMW has no record of service.

Car put 10k KM (6k miles) in 6 years which is nothing..... but life span of synthetic oil usually lasts what... 1 year or 2? and whatever other fluid like brakes, etc... that may degrade over time.

If you were looking at buying this used car would that concern you?

Dont know how much a PPI would help in seeing any potential problems...being practically new.

Obviously I'd do a bunch of fluids if I bought it, but Im just worried maybe things have set in properly since the car was barely used and probably in more stop and go traffic than anything.

I haven't bought a vehicle this old with so little mileage, I've heard that cars like this end up having more problems then cars driven with regular maintenance...the closest thing to this situation I've had was with my current M3. at the time 8 years old and 65k KM and that car has been problem free other than consumables...sitting at 120k KM today.

M6 Spec:
F13 M6 - Competition Package - Carbon Ceramic Brakes - Santorini Blue

Sorry if this post hurts to read.... appreciate any insight..
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2023, 06:09 PM   #2
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
[QUOTE=DJiGGs;30074129]Let's say you are looking at a 2014 with 28k KM / 17k miles on it.

I may be able to help. I purchased a 2013 with 16,500 miles last year so pretty much in the same boat as you. From my understanding, it's the oil filter that can degrade over time. That's why they recommend you change every year regardless of the mileage intervals. I haven't had any issues mechanically so far (knock on wood) . The car does have some annoying things like sporadic windows when closing, slight rattle in the lane departure thingy in the steering wheel. It also had some static in the radio that went away for now and a sunshade issue. I honestly only care about the engine and trans. As long as that stays good I'm fine with whatever annoying things come up. My thoughts have always been, go with the car with less miles. Don't get me wrong my car is mint with really low miles but there has been little bullshit quirks lol. I purchased a great warranty for 3yr/36miles warranty for 3k from a great company (Hendrick auot group), I recommend getting one just as a fail safe. I'm going to use the warranty to get everything fixed and should be good after that haha. I would get it, change the fluids and you should be fine. I'm happy with my purchase!
Appreciate 3
DJiGGs92.50
mikerx5461.00
      04-26-2023, 08:00 PM   #3
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=danielgmanm6;30074559]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJiGGs View Post
Let's say you are looking at a 2014 with 28k KM / 17k miles on it.

I may be able to help. I purchased a 2013 with 16,500 miles last year so pretty much in the same boat as you. From my understanding, it's the oil filter that can degrade over time. That's why they recommend you change every year regardless of the mileage intervals. I haven't had any issues mechanically so far (knock on wood) . The car does have some annoying things like sporadic windows when closing, slight rattle in the lane departure thingy in the steering wheel. It also had some static in the radio that went away for now and a sunshade issue. I honestly only care about the engine and trans. As long as that stays good I'm fine with whatever annoying things come up. My thoughts have always been, go with the car with less miles. Don't get me wrong my car is mint with really low miles but there has been little bullshit quirks lol. I purchased a great warranty for 3yr/36miles warranty for 3k from a great company (Hendrick auot group), I recommend getting one just as a fail safe. I'm going to use the warranty to get everything fixed and should be good after that haha. I would get it, change the fluids and you should be fine. I'm happy with my purchase!
Thanks for the insight. Got a text from the sales rep. It’s currently conditionally sold. Not even 24 hours after I left the dealer haha.

I want to get it for ~5k less then advertised since new tires were needed. Battery need to get replaced and paint work on rear bumper most likely from the PO pulling out his golf clubs.

Unfortunately I doubt I’ll have an opportunity to pick it up. Very rare find especially to find locally. Only M6 for sale in the city right now.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2023, 09:19 PM   #4
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I would say all fluids, oil, differential, transmission, strrring if it’s not electric. Then my other concern would be serpentine belts dry rotting and the same with any seals. Valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, oil filter housing comes to mind at least on an N55. I’m sure there would be other things to look at, but those would be my main ones I can think of currently.

If you’re really interested, do a thorough inspection all around and check for any smoking in the engine bay or any obvious signs there might be leaks in any of the systems.
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      04-26-2023, 09:28 PM   #5
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
[QUOTE=DJiGGs;30074825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post

Thanks for the insight. Got a text from the sales rep. It’s currently conditionally sold. Not even 24 hours after I left the dealer haha.

I want to get it for ~5k less then advertised since new tires were needed. Battery need to get replaced and paint work on rear bumper most likely from the PO pulling out his golf clubs.

Unfortunately I doubt I’ll have an opportunity to pick it up. Very rare find especially to find locally. Only M6 for sale in the city right now.

Yes. I saw mine and jumped on it immediately. Funny, the previous buyer put down a deposit but was unresponsive for a few days so they sold it to me. I hope i can own it forever I take good care of the starship! She's quick. Good luck on the next one! And maybe that deal falls through.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 09:56 PM   #6
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Yeah, I know how it goes trying to get the car you want.

When I was looking for my b6 I found one, called, didn’t put a deposit down, and next day was sold. The second one I found that matched my criteria I immediately called and put a deposit on before flying out to see it.

Good luck with the search!
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2023, 10:14 PM   #7
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate it!
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2023, 09:35 PM   #8
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I would have the seller roll the car to a local BMW dealer or indy that specializes in BMW for a thorough PPI.
Appreciate 0