BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-19-2022, 08:14 PM   #1
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Issues with rear sun shade

My car with 18k miles has been having annoying issues.
1.AC
2. Windows acting up occasionally
3. Rattle in the steering column ( possibly next departure sensor)
And now the sun shade came up and won't go down. I have a warranty and sending the car in. Has anyone had issues with the rear shade? Haven't found much on it
Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #2
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

I also have an issue with my rear sunshade right now. If I put it up, it gets stuck going down, I believe because the folding arms are getting stuck. Haven't had time to take it in to get fixed, so curious to hear what the issue may be if you get yours fixed sooner.

I was able to get the shade back down by lowering the shade to to the point where it gets stuck, then manually pushing one of the folding arms in slightly, walking to the other side of the car, doing the same thing to the other side, then holding the top bar while pressing the button again twice. If the folding arms stay beyond the point where they get stuck the shade lowers the rest of the way. I'm avoiding using that shade until I can get it fixed.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2022, 10:25 PM   #3
Gotyour6
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 (F06)

Quote:
Originally Posted by machareus View Post
I also have an issue with my rear sunshade right now. If I put it up, it gets stuck going down, I believe because the folding arms are getting stuck. Haven't had time to take it in to get fixed, so curious to hear what the issue may be if you get yours fixed sooner.

I was able to get the shade back down by lowering the shade to to the point where it gets stuck, then manually pushing one of the folding arms in slightly, walking to the other side of the car, doing the same thing to the other side, then holding the top bar while pressing the button again twice. If the folding arms stay beyond the point where they get stuck the shade lowers the rest of the way. I'm avoiding using that shade until I can get it fixed.
Exact same thing for me. I have 5% tint on the rear so I really don't need it now. I will never put it up again. It is a pain to get back down.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2022, 10:52 PM   #4
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

Bringing it in on Monday, I'll let you guys know. But being a BMW dealership they'll prob just want to replace the whole thing without actually diagnosing the problem. It's a lot more profitable that way hahha. My warranty charges $150 per repair,.so that's kinda bullshit considering I have like 3 or 4 things to fix. I'm sure it'll be a 3-4k bill though!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 04:15 AM   #5
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post
Quote:

Bringing it in on Monday, I'll let you guys know. But being a BMW dealership they'll prob just want to replace the whole thing without actually diagnosing the problem. It's a lot more profitable that way hahha. My warranty charges $150 per repair,.so that's kinda bullshit considering I have like 3 or 4 things to fix. I'm sure it'll be a 3-4k bill though!
Did you try spraying the mechanics with a spray - compressed air or otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 09:48 AM   #6
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Did you try spraying the mechanics with a spray - compressed air or otherwise?

No I haven't. I haven't seen much on the topic so will try to take a look at it this weekend. It may need some lubricant or maybe the motor is failing. I think it's more from not using it that it starts having issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #7
howarbeu
Registered
Rep
Drives: A8

Sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing with your car. It's great that you have a warranty and can send it for repairs. As for the rear sunshade, I haven't personally heard of any issues with it, but it's always a good idea to have it checked out when you're taking your car in. While waiting for your car to be fixed, consider looking into custom-made sun shades from https://snapshades.com/. They offer high-quality shades that are designed to fit your car's windows perfectly, and they're great for protecting your car's interior from the sun's harmful rays.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 04:41 PM   #8
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

A timely thread bump.

I took my car into the dealership for various issues, one of which was the rear sunshade. The tech said that the motor in those shades gets weak and the linkage to the arms gets loosened, and the way it's built there isn't a way to tighten it back up. Therefore they had to replace the whole sunshade mechanism.

It cost $1,048 for the assembly and another $440 for labor.

(Covered by extended warranty).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 09:29 PM   #9
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Quote:
A timely thread bump.

I took my car into the dealership for various issues, one of which was the rear sunshade. The tech said that the motor in those shades gets weak and the linkage to the arms gets loosened, and the way it's built there isn't a way to tighten it back up. Therefore they had to replace the whole sunshade mechanism.

It cost $1,048 for the assembly and another $440 for labor.

(Covered by extended warranty).
Win!
Appreciate 1