BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-23-2023, 11:29 PM   #1
Benji17
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 X-Drive M-Sport

Picking up an M6 next week, why DME tune and JB4?

Apologies if the title seems odd. I have been looking for an M6 for awhile, and I think I have found “the one”. It has the stage 2 DME tune, but also a JB4 installed. It has a custom downpipe from a speedshop in TX. I am trying to understand why there would be a need for both? I’m coming from a BM3 tuner on my N55, and the dual setup on the M6 just seems like too many steps. I am getting a PPI done hopefully this week, and as long as that comes back clean I am pulling the trigger. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

- A guy very close to attaining a longtime goal.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 11:42 AM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
You may find this article a very helpful primer on the topic. https://bmwtuning.co/ecu-flash-tunes...ggyback-tunes/
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2023, 09:47 PM   #3
Benji17
United_States
Rep

Thank you very much, that is indeed a very helpful article!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 10:38 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Happy to help. Please do read around the M5/M6 forum especially about engine issues. Make sure you get into the car at a really good price as you may have to absorb some rather costly repairs. If fixed before things go badly it is a great car to own with huge power potential An aftermarket warranty may not cover these repairs on a car with mods. These issues are usually very hard to find without taking the engine apart so they could elude even the most detailed PPI.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2023, 01:48 PM   #5
Benji17
United_States
Rep

Hmmm, I have heard horror stories with these, but I also heard the same stories with my E92 M3, and my N55 which is FBO and pretty much maxed with the stock turbo and never had issues aside from typical BMW things. The M6 has 72k miles, they are doing an oil change @ the same time as the PPI, I asked specifically for the filter etc to be looked over. I will admit, I redline my cars daily, dozens of times if I am backroading. I realize the operating costs of an M6 are high, but a $40k engine rebuild is not feasible for me at the moment. Is there anything else in particular you would recomend having looked at during the PPI?
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2023, 03:02 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Have them cut into the oil filter to look for metal flake. Search around the rear diff for fluid leaks, diff brace for cracks as these have a issue with eating themselves under high torque launches.

The turbo coolant lines are a known issue and often end up spilling out in the the upper valley of the engine and is hard to see in there without a borescope camera. The previous owner may have already had this done as they tend to fail in the 50k to 70k mile range.

We have been through this twice on my wife's F10 550. This can also lead to oil leaking down the backside of the engine and down the transmission. There is a weep hole on the back of the engine but is hidden by the transmission housing.

Make sure the door features work soft close, locks etc, not an expensive part but can be time consuming to repair so if you take it to a dealer the cost will smack ya.

Hopefully they have an obd tool that can pull BMW specific codes. Have them look for any stored codes. Misfires might be occurring as the injectors could be the originally installed. BMW does warranty them until 10years/120k miles but will only replace the ones that are failing. I am not sure how they treat tuned cars. If they can check the condition of a couple of the plugs that would help tell the tale.

Turbo rattle can also develop and be much more apparent with catless DP's.

If I can think of other issues I'll drop back in and post em up.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2023, 04:48 PM   #7
Benji17
United_States
Rep

That is some very sound advice, thank you kindly! I am going to call and ensure those items are looked at as well. There is a very reputable indy shop near me in MO, do you think a rod bearing job preventatively would provide a better peace of mind if you were in my shoes? I always heard about them with the S65, but mine seemed bulletproof.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 06:47 PM   #8
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
If you catch it before a bearing seizes or is spun you should be good to go. There is the issue of the floating metal that has come off the bearings potentially accumulating in the vanos solenoids, oil cooler, oil spray nozzles or other areas. 4 new vanos solenoids will be about 1200 if you need them and are replaceable without engine removal. On the more costly side would be damaged rods or pistons. The rear cylinders see a lot more heat due to the downpipes and turbos sandwich them in with all that heat.

See if you can get some cold start audio/video and some audio of it idling after the engine kicks down rpm post warm up. My work has me in a spot so I won't be able to listen to it but am pretty sure if you post it here or in the F10 M5 Forum /Engine sub forum you'll get some well tuned ears to listen to it. Hit youtube for some videos folks have posted of their s63tu engines with bearing and rod noise.

These cars do consume oil much like the N63tu's do but mine has not been as bad as my M6 has not been as bad as my wife's 550. That said you might be getting to a point of needing pre-cat o2 sensors. I think the pre cat o2's are about 200 each.

Have them check the battery date if they can. It will require pulling the trunk mat out and depending on the battery they may have to lift it out to see the date. It is about 240 dollars for an aftermarket battery.

Also have them check the fluids levels in the turbo coolant reservoir and engine coolant revivors. Low levels or any obd codes could be a good indicator that turbo coolant lines have leaked into the top of the engine externally. Low fluid means they have dealt with more heat and heat is the mortal enemy of these engines.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2023, 07:00 PM   #9
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
You can find the engine manual in this thread, https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803495

If the person doing the PPI is a already familiar with BMW's they likely won't need this but if they are a general mechanic this could be good prep material before making the inspection.

The vacuum operated exhaust valves is something else to get a peak at while they are looking at the rear diff. Some folks pull the vacuum line off and wire em open with coat hangers. Some folks like them open for the warm up and some folks do it because they start rattling after they age. Whatever the situation you'll want to know if the resonator is factory and if the valves work.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2023, 10:34 PM   #10
Benji17
United_States
Rep

I have added all of those as well to my list, I am going to call and discuss all of those items with them, did not get a chance to today. I was also told by a tech @ my local shop to have it in 5th @ 2500rpm, and WOT to about 5500. He said that would showcase any clutch issues, as the power numbers might be close to what the car can actually handle. I greatly appreciate your responses and sharing your knowledge with me, I can already tell how valuable it is. I admire your attention to detail, and love for BMW! I will definitely get a cold start video as well. You have already helped me make my decision on having it shipped. It is not a terribly far journey, about 14 hours round trip. I think I will drive down, and do 1 final inspection personally, checking the items I can that you have mentioned. The drive home with painters tape on the front might be a little odd, but I can deal with some side eye haha.
Appreciate 0