BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-13-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Oil Filter Housing and Plug torque specs???

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me what the oil filter plug and oil filter housing torque specs are supposed to be? I'm trying to change the oil in our 2018 650i rwd(n63tu engine) but I cannot find torque specs on it, otherwise odd? I found one chart that seems authoritative but the torques specs and procedures seem high/odd?

If I use the chart for "F06, F07 without AWD" it gives me the following specs/procedures.

"Capacity......10qts, 9.5 liters". I'm confident that is correct.

"Drain plug....25Nm". This would seem correct but please confirm.

"Torque Spec: Oil Filter Cap........Initial torque: 30Nm/Release torque through 180 degree turn counter clockwise/Final torque : 40Nm/Cap drain plug: 10Nm". What in the world is this all about? Am I supposed to torque the oil filter housing 30Nm then turn it counter clockwise 180 degrees and then re-torque to 40Nm? What is the 10Nm designation?

Your help is much appreciated.

God Bless,

Ralph
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 06:52 PM   #2
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC - M Sport

that is what the directions are telling you to do for the torque sequence. I don't think I have ever used that much torque to tighten a plastic housing that is sealed with an o-ring. But maybe I am stringer than I think. The 25nM on the oil drain plug sounds right, most people over tighten those.

As for the drain plug on the cap: My older 550i x-drive with the N63(non-TU) engine had a drain plug in the housing. When I order the genuine BMW filters for my 650i they come with an o-ring for that drain plug, but my 650 doesn't have the drain plug. I miss the drain plug, because I didn't get a hand full of oil removing the housing after I drained the housing,

Other than the missing drain plug in the housing the 2012 550i and the 2015 650i use the same kit for the oil change. The N63TU does take an extra .5 liters to fill up.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 06:54 PM   #3
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC - M Sport

Also, the x-drive and non-x-drive use the same engine. The non-x-drive does not have a transfer case, front differential, or front axle shafts. It is a little less complicated under the non-x-drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 09:52 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
Hello All,

Can anyone tell me what the oil filter plug and oil filter housing torque specs are supposed to be? I'm trying to change the oil in our 2018 650i rwd(n63tu engine) but I cannot find torque specs on it, otherwise odd? I found one chart that seems authoritative but the torques specs and procedures seem high/odd?

If I use the chart for "F06, F07 without AWD" it gives me the following specs/procedures.

"Capacity......10qts, 9.5 liters". I'm confident that is correct.

"Drain plug....25Nm". This would seem correct but please confirm.

"Torque Spec: Oil Filter Cap........Initial torque: 30Nm/Release torque through 180 degree turn counter clockwise/Final torque : 40Nm/Cap drain plug: 10Nm". What in the world is this all about? Am I supposed to torque the oil filter housing 30Nm then turn it counter clockwise 180 degrees and then re-torque to 40Nm? What is the 10Nm designation?

Your help is much appreciated.

God Bless,

Ralph
As mentioned in my reply in the other thread…in regard to the “Cap drain plug”…you don’t have one…so that instruction can be ignored since it doesn’t apply to your situation.

Some older versions of the n63 engine has a drain in the filter cap (see #4 in the diagram below). BMW uses the same diagram across multiple platforms because they use the same oil filter and O-ring…but later versions like the N63TU and proceeding iterations…there’s no drain in the oil filter cap:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 10:26 PM   #5
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Just FYI.

*I torqued my drain plug to 25Nm.
*I hand tightened my oil filter cap/housing to around 18-19Nm as that is where it essentially stopped. I then torqued it to 22Nm with my wrench. This felt proper to me and there is no way I would have risked torquing it any more than that.

There were no oil drops the following morning, so I think that was plenty sufficient. If anyone comes up with something more definitive though let me know.

Thanks,
Ralph
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 02:44 PM   #6
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Somewhere, someone has a technical manual with these specs in it. Good information to have for sure....we just have to wait for that right person.

L
Appreciate 0