BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
RenalInsult
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Cab

M-DCT Second Gear Shifting Problem

2015 M6 Cab with about 67k miles has an issue that only happens when accelerating in second gear. When the car slows and is in second gear, and accelerates, the RPMs increase but then there is about a one second pause in acceleration, then you feel a jarring/slam depending on how much throttle used. It almost feels like it is slipping then catching. It occurs in drive or sequential, but only when accelerating in second gear.

From a dead stop it is perfectly normal. Shifting from first to second to third and so on seems perfectly normal, smooth, no slipping or delays. I checked with a scanner and no codes. The battery is only a year old, I did slow charge it fully but it didn't seem to help.

I would think if it i clutch issue, it would occur in all the even gears? If a transmission issue, why no issue shifting from first to second?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
The problem could be a valve body solenoid. Maybe a transmission guru with chime in. If you have to drive the car, try shifting from 1 to 3 (doing it gently on the throttle)) until you find the cause. If not, you could wear the clutched if they are not worn yet. The solenoid change is a reasonable cost job. Changing the clutches is not.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
RenalInsult
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
The problem could be a valve body solenoid. Maybe a transmission guru with chime in. If you have to drive the car, try shifting from 1 to 3 (doing it gently on the throttle)) until you find the cause. If not, you could wear the clutched if they are not worn yet. The solenoid change is a reasonable cost job. Changing the clutches is not.
I Googled the valve body solenoid and it sounds like that could be it, thank you for the help! When I drive, shifting from first into second and into third, forth, fifth, six and finally seven is completely normal, I can't seem to reproduce it. It only happens when accelerating in second gear. That seems odd to me but I am guessing there are a number of solenoids in this transmission. I will call my local Independent repair and see if they will take a look. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0