BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
DarrenDre
Rep
Drives: bmw M6 gran coupe

Need Help In Buying M6

Hi. I am new in this forum. I am looking to buy a 2014 M6 but it has a KW suspension and the dealer told me that because the last owner change the suspension, the driver could no longer adjust the suspension using ICM (Integrated Chassis Management)

my question is what is ICM? and is this a big problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Dealer is probably talking about EDC. Electronic Damper Control. It's variable adjustments in the shocks. The KW system replaces the entire shock and spring setup.

Up to you what you value. Some people prefer the KW system, not sure why, but some people do. You may be able to get someone to do a swap with you.

Read this:.
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759602
      02-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
SS3935
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe

Also depends which KW suspension is installed. If KW V3 then it will replace the stock setup and EDC etc......however if KW HAS (Height Adjustable Springs) then it maintains the stock shock absorber and EDC settings etc.....Worth asking them but they may not know. You can check yourself by seeing if comfort, sport and sport plus settings work whilst you test drive the car. If so then it probably has the KW HAS.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS3935 View Post
Also depends which KW suspension is installed. If KW V3 then it will replace the stock setup and EDC etc......however if KW HAS (Height Adjustable Springs) then it maintains the stock shock absorber and EDC settings etc.....Worth asking them but they may not know. You can check yourself by seeing if comfort, sport and sport plus settings work whilst you test drive the car. If so then it probably has the KW HAS.
Good that you distinguished the two. I was talking about V3, a very popular line of KW coilovers
      02-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #5
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

I don't believe you have the KW Height adjustable springs. The KW HAS only lowers the car without disabling suspension stiffness adjustability. If your EDC is completely disabled you probably have the full coil over system.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
DarrenDre
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Dealer is probably talking about EDC. Electronic Damper Control. It's variable adjustments in the shocks. The KW system replaces the entire shock and spring setup.

Up to you what you value. Some people prefer the KW system, not sure why, but some people do. You may be able to get someone to do a swap with you.

Read this:.
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759602
Nice video, it helps me a lot.... Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:14 AM   #7
DarrenDre
Rep

Does KW suspension improve the handling of the car? Or it just lowered the car? What are the advantages and disadvantages of changing the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:25 AM   #8
ilidon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDre View Post
Does KW suspension improve the handling of the car? Or it just lowered the car? What are the advantages and disadvantages of changing the suspension?
KW definitely improves the handling. If you are the type of guy who puts performance over everything KW v3 is the way to go. If you are in the middle go for KW HAS (Height adjustable springs). If you want full comfort then just keep your suspension stock, it wouldnt handle that good though.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Are you daily driving the car? If so, I don't recommend changing the suspension. It all comes down to the purpose of the car and what you're willing to put up with in terms of comfort.

That said, the HAS would be my only choice if I had to change the suspension. But again, I would never do it. I did it on an older car (not a BMW), and I absolutely hated driving it daily.
      02-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
DarrenDre
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Are you daily driving the car? If so, I don't recommend changing the suspension. It all comes down to the purpose of the car and what you're willing to put up with in terms of comfort.

That said, the HAS would be my only choice if I had to change the suspension. But again, I would never do it. I did it on an older car (not a BMW), and I absolutely hated driving it daily.
yeah I think it would be to stiff for daily driving. Thanks for your help!!
Appreciate 0