BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
matt44228
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (Black Sapphire

hardtop

will bmw ever make a hardtop 6 series?? I personally am not a fan of soft top cars i like hardtop convertibles. (just my opinion) I think it would be great if they would add a hardtop convertible to the 6 series lineup, id buy one. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
My understanding is the reason for not offering it is because of the class of the vehicle. The soft top is a tribute to the old money, old school luxury look of the cabriolet. The flying buttress design further emphasizes that look. Bentley, Aston, and Maserati also went with soft tops, and the rationale, I believe, was very similar. Also, I read in an interview that the average customer will be buying this car as a second, third, or fourth car in his/her current stable, so the durability benefits are also less of a concern. That may be true, but I think the classic beauty of a soft-top convertible is what they're going for. Making it a hardtop would cheapen the line by making it like a 3 Series. The 6er is supposed to be the top of the line for BMW (disregarding ///M vehicles), so it makes sense that they'd follow the choices of Bentley and Aston.

The soft-top is also lighter helping performance... something that I'm sure was kept in mind when building a car to sit at the top end of "The Ultimate Driving Machine" line.

I think like many other things around this price point, people who appreciate cars will appreciate the choice to follow the tradition of luxury convertibles you'd expect to see cruising around the south of France. I don't think financial considerations had anything to do with the decision. In the elitist mind of BMW, I think they'd hold the belief that if you think the look of a soft top is cheap, then you probably can't afford one and don't appreciate that it is a symbol rather than a choice to save money. BMW probably doesn't care too much about the person with the narrow view of hard tops are high tech and only on expensive cars .

As a 6er owner, I appreciate the attention to detail and luxury of this car as it goes beyond anything else BMW has ever done. Practicality was very low on the list when making decisions about this car (i.e. no backseat space at all). This car is all about luxury and performance. They did that brilliantly, and the cloth roof promotes that philosophy.

There's no denying that hard tops are nice as you don't have to worry as much about them - no arguing with that. That's just not the point of this car. I definitely see where you're coming from, but appearances are a big part of this car, and that trumps durability in the case of the F12.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe

Just like Southern said and to add to it, the reason they went with a soft top is because convertible owners of this class of car want everyone to know they are in a convertible, even with the top up. it's a classier look.

I myself would prefer a hard top (a glass hard top!!!) as I prefer the hard top look and soft tops are more susceptible to bad vandalism. Imagine coming back to your soft top in the parking lot and seeing a huge knife gash in it. Yikes!!! Not to mention, if you don't have a garage, you have to get it fixed soonest before it rains.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
matt44228
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

yeah i see where you guys are coming from. Im just not a fan of soft tops, would really prefer if there was an option for a hardtop. They don't have to eliminate the softtop just make 2 versions of the car. Thats just my opinion, i know people enjoy the look of the softtop but im just not the biggest fan of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I too would probably prefer a hard top for a daily driver. I've had a convertible, so I was kinda ready to go the coupe route anyway. The soft top wouldn't have deterred me if I wanted a cabrio. I think that's what BMW figured would happen with this car. Keeping the soft top makes the car in the class of the Bentley GTC and it's competitors (not that it's a competitor in reality, but they want to act like it is). The option of hard or soft top, while nice, would add production casts and difficulty stocking dealerships, but, more importantly, they'd be putting the 6 badge on a car that is inconsistent with their philosophy for this car. But, yes, for those of us who aren't pulling this car out of the garage on Saturday morning to drive to the country club, the hard top makes much more sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
As a 6er owner, I appreciate the attention to detail and luxury of this car as it goes beyond anything else BMW has ever done. Practicality was very low on the list when making decisions about this car (i.e. no backseat space at all). This car is all about luxury and performance. They did that brilliantly, and the cloth roof promotes that
I think this analysis is mostly correct. When it comes to practicality however, the car is not as bad as one might think.
I believe BMW did put a lot of effort to make the new 6er more practical than the old. More driver assistance systems, larger trunk (acceptable even in the vert), a little more space in the rear seats (and as we have learnt on this forum it is acceptable in world markets where people don't grow to 6 or 7'), easy everday handling with adptive drive and integral active steering etc.

This does not change the reason why BMW chose the soft top over a hard top for the 6 series. This was a wise decision, allthough I personally would have bought the convertible anyhow. But being the way it is, it's even better looking.

Last edited by Superspeed; 03-25-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

M3 cab is exclusive enough and has a hardtop. Also Z4.
It s good to have a soft top cab in the range; for example Porsche has only soft top cab models, also Audi.
Looking at the class of 6 series: Jag XK has soft top; Maserati has soft top; Aston and Bentley too. There is a british exclusive Morgan Aero 8 with soft top too. Only Merc SL has taken the other route.
So, plenty of options, but only one manufacturer with hard top.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca
M3 cab is exclusive enough and has a hardtop. Also Z4.
It s good to have a soft top cab in the range; for example Porsche has only soft top cab models, also Audi.
Looking at the class of 6 series: Jag XK has soft top; Maserati has soft top; Aston and Bentley too. There is a british exclusive Morgan Aero 8 with soft top too. Only Merc SL has taken the other route.
So, plenty of options, but only one manufacturer with hard top.
While the M3 cab is exclusive, you have to look at it from the type of car it is.

The 6er is a GT

The M3 is race/performance.

I think BMW went with a smooth hardtop for the M3 because of its aerodynamic qualities.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt44228
yeah i see where you guys are coming from. Im just not a fan of soft tops, would really prefer if there was an option for a hardtop. They don't have to eliminate the softtop just make 2 versions of the car. Thats just my opinion, i know people enjoy the look of the softtop but im just not the biggest fan of them.
We're getting a head of ourselves here.

How about an option for soft close doors and trunk to start damn it lol

Southern would concur with this
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinj6 View Post

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I can forgive the crappy, crappy mileage, BMW Apps being useless, and a rear seat designed for people without legs... but COME ON!!! It is a pain to have to manually close the trunk, but, more importantly, I'm embarassed to close my trunk with people around. They're staring at the beautiful car, and then they expect me to reach up, press a button, and watch the trunk close gracefully - but no, I carefully position myself so no fingerprints or scratches follow, and then there is a big thump.

Rant over - Itinj, I think you just wanted to set me off for fun
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
matt44228
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

hahah they don't make soft close doors for the new 6? wow thats crazy. in my m6 i have soft close doors.. I would think they would include that package for the new 6 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt44228 View Post
hahah they don't make soft close doors for the new 6? wow thats crazy. in my m6 i have soft close doors.. I would think they would include that package for the new 6 series.
Don't assume anything with BMW on this car. Anything you read you need to triple check (or ask Itinj or myself - we know everything lol) as the regional differences are not exactly minor, soft close and shadowline trim, for instance. The M Sport exhaust is another big topic of debate (although you've probably figured that out already if you've done a little reading around here). The car is brilliant, so these reporting discrepancies are forgivable; the trunk and soft-close not so much - but I'd buy the car again in a heartbeat. I would say I'm sure the U.S. M6 will get soft-close, but I'm not assuming anything about these cars after the messes BMW has made with the regular 6er.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22
Quote:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I can forgive the crappy, crappy mileage, BMW Apps being useless, and a rear seat designed for people without legs... but COME ON!!! It is a pain to have to manually close the trunk, but, more importantly, I'm embarassed to close my trunk with people around. They're staring at the beautiful car, and then they expect me to reach up, press a button, and watch the trunk close gracefully - but no, I carefully position myself so no fingerprints or scratches follow, and then there is a big thump.

Rant over - Itinj, I think you just wanted to set me off for fun
You're so cute when you're mad

LMAO.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
TopDownInFL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650 Coupe

BMW did a survey of it's 6 convertible owners and received the feedback that the owners wanted people to know it was a convertible when the top was up. Think of how you need to look a little more at a 3er to tell if it's a coupe or vert. 6er owners apparently want it to be obvious.

Last edited by TopDownInFL; 04-01-2012 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: can't spell and have bad grammar!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL
BMW did a survey of it's 6 convertible owners and received the feedback that the owners wanted people to know it was a convertible when the top was up. Think of how you need to look a little more at a 3er to tell if it's a coupe or vert. 6er owners apparently want it to be obvious.
First thing I see and they stick out like a sore thumb when spotted, are the butt ugly folding hardtop roof lines. They are not so bad on the 3er, but damn, some companies need to address that huge gap immediately. Chrysler comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
First thing I see and they stick out like a sore thumb when spotted, are the butt ugly folding hardtop roof lines. They are not so bad on the 3er, but damn, some companies need to address that huge gap immediately. Chrysler comes to mind.
Get what you pay for.

Chrysler =
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
I could be biased because I drive one, but I think MB has got the folding hardtop down better than anyone else, with both the SLK and the SL. They look natural and intentional, with a shape that fits the car rather than a shape that makes the car look ugly because it's a folding hardtop. I think if either of these cars were to be a proper coupe, they would have the same roof line and shape. That's what wins it in my book.

The worst are Lexus, followed by Infiniti, as far as how the overall shape of the roof looks nothing like it would if the car was a coupe. They both look deformed. They both remind me of Quasimodo, without the personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Chrysler =
I never even knew Chrysler had a folding hardtop! But agree with the sentiments herein.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I agree that the hard top on the SL/SLK is well suited. The SL really works with the hard top. I think 2 seaters in general are better at rocking the hard top. The classic look of the soft top fits the long, wide 4 seater GT/cabriolet.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
matt44228
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I could be biased because I drive one, but I think MB has got the folding hardtop down better than anyone else, with both the SLK and the SL. They look natural and intentional, with a shape that fits the car rather than a shape that makes the car look ugly because it's a folding hardtop. I think if either of these cars were to be a proper coupe, they would have the same roof line and shape. That's what wins it in my book.

The worst are Lexus, followed by Infiniti, as far as how the overall shape of the roof looks nothing like it would if the car was a coupe. They both look deformed. They both remind me of Quasimodo, without the personality.

I never even knew Chrysler had a folding hardtop! But agree with the sentiments herein.
yeah i agree, mercedes has a really nice looking hardtop
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
TopDownInFL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650 Coupe

Quote:
So the roof lines show more if the top is not taken care of - I treated my tops with RaggTopp protectant and the lines were barely noticeable.

And it's funny you mention the Chrysler - I thought the 6er vert looked like a Chrysler when I first saw it. It's grown on me, but not so much that I chose a coupe!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #21
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

Quote:

Can't recall whether I have ever mentioned this, but I have soft close doors. Have I?
      04-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsta View Post
Can't recall whether I have ever mentioned this, but I have soft close doors. Have I?
You have...

But you also paid x2.5 as we did, so you're forgiven
Appreciate 0