BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-20-2018, 03:23 AM   #1
Andy Conroy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Evolve Car

Custom Mid Pipes /Removal of Resonator

Hi All - I have a highly tuned M6 which I have an aftermarket back box and catless downpipes.

I am wondering if its worth deleting the secondary cats or resonator, My concern is it will make the car smelly and make it more boomy with drone.

Is it worth doing it? Will it make it sound much better or not?
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

I took them off and it just made the sound a little more deep and a tiny bit louder. No extra drone or anything. Just so you know if you got the competition package with the comp exhaust, your resonators are hollow pipes and removing them will not do anything at all.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
I took them off and it just made the sound a little more deep and a tiny bit louder. No extra drone or anything. Just so you know if you got the competition package with the comp exhaust, your resonators are hollow pipes and removing them will not do anything at all.
Didn’t know this , so the pipes are completely hollow from the Downpipes all the way to the mufflers? , so buying a new set of midpipes for new mufflers would be pointless unless you didn’t want to hack up your factory system ?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 12:41 AM   #4
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Didn’t know this , so the pipes are completely hollow from the Downpipes all the way to the mufflers? , so buying a new set of midpipes for new mufflers would be pointless unless you didn’t want to hack up your factory system ?
Yeah you have the two cats and then straight pipes to the mufflers with a bunch of bends on the way. The only way to get more sound is by changing the mufflers out and removing the cats. I don't look at a cut and weld as a hack job unless your muffler shop is a hack shop. There are welders that can cut/weld, grind/polish and make it look like the pipes were never cut, but they cost more.
Appreciate 0