BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Sim Racing

04-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #23
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
If you do VR use contacts for sure. The headsets just aren't made for glasses wearers yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #24
MikePiper1
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Is that RaceRoom? Been meaning to check it out, I'm hearing great things about it. If not, what sim is that?
Good eye! Yes it is Raceroom. I use Raceroom for my DTM fix and also to run the M235i series.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      04-26-2018, 07:26 PM   #25
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Project Cars 2 for me
Attached Images

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 1
519.E82243.00
      04-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #26
330ciprem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 06 E46 330ci, 6spds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Project Cars 2 for me
Hey Solidjake!

Hola from the e46fanatic base
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #27
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciprem View Post
Hey Solidjake!

Hola from the e46fanatic base
What's up dude!

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #28
330ciprem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 06 E46 330ci, 6spds

Quote:
What's up dude!
Nothing much.

I got the E92 M3 so hang out here now.

Still spend some time over at e46fanatics since I still use my 330ci as daily.

As I recall from last year you got this sweet F80 328i in Manual, correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #29
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciprem View Post
Nothing much.

I got the E92 M3 so hang out here now.

Still spend some time over at e46fanatics since I still use my 330ci as daily.

As I recall from last year you got this sweet F80 328i in Manual, correct?
The M3 is a beast.... I've driven it and it's a monster. Congrats!

Yup, got the F30 in October. Check out my thread in the showroom section there

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #30
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I tried Oculus Rift with iRacing but not a fan of it (low res / pixelated). Until the technology improves a triple monitor setup is the way to go.
Appreciate 3
Solidjake945.00
Dylan861330.00
      05-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #31
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajjcc View Post
I tried Oculus Rift with iRacing but not a fan of it (low res / pixelated). Until the technology improves a triple monitor setup is the way to go.
Agreed, but can't wait for the next gen of VR, it's exciting to see where tings are going. Get some Buttkickers hooked up for even more immersion.
      05-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #32
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Project Cars 2 for me
What monitor mount are you using? Are those 24s or 27s?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #33
Rob Olejniczak
1st M-car Car nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajjcc View Post
The majority of people that try a Rift/VR on iRacing don't share your opinion. Most people that try it say they can never go back to monitors. The resolution is definitely less than some really nice monitors, but you can still see everything clearly. It takes a bit to optimize the settings to get it just right, and you need a powerful PC to get the most clarity. Biggest difference in VR is that you feel like you are actually in the car, not looking at a 2d image. The depth perception in VR is a huge advantage for VR over screens too.

I primarily race in the Kamel GT series and about 75% of the drivers are using VR. Everyone I know in that series that makes the switch says the wish they converted sooner.

One of the big drawbacks with VR can be VR sickness. It hits some people pretty hard, and others not at all. I get normal motion sickness and got sick the 1st time I used iRacing in VR. It took me about a week of working through it and haven't had an issue since.

Another thing that is interesting about racing sims in VR is that people that have no experience with racing sims, but have real track time experience are almost always faster in VR than using screens. The experience is much more like real life then screens are. The sense of speed is there with VR instantly, on screens you need to adapt to figure that out. The track and cars are a 1 to 1 scale. Braking and turn in references are the same you would use in real life braking. With screens people tend to do things like brake when the pit wall touches the side of the screen. You can't do that in real life.

There are some people that can't get over the resolution differences though. That's just eye candy though and doesn't effect the racing experience. They are also missing out on a much more immersive experience.

I never heard of iRacing until a track day instructor told me about it. He recommended it as a tool to get a lot of track time and practice in for cheap. He said the skills you learn in iRacing will translate to the track. He was so right. After a winter of using iRacing my real life lap times improved a bunch. I went from mid-pack in the intermediate group to one of the fastest guys in the advanced group. I'm not a gamer and hadn't played video games since I was a kid, but I'm having a blast on iRacing. I doubt my experience would be the same if I was using screens. I've never used iRacing with screens though.
Dylan861330.00
Nkc1600.50
      05-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #34
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Olejniczak View Post

Another thing that is interesting about racing sims in VR is that people that have no experience with racing sims, but have real track time experience are almost always faster in VR than using screens. The experience is much more like real life then screens are. The sense of speed is there with VR instantly, on screens you need to adapt to figure that out. The track and cars are a 1 to 1 scale. Braking and turn in references are the same you would use in real life braking. With screens people tend to do things like brake when the pit wall touches the side of the screen. You can't do that in real life.
Agree 100%. I have iracing at home, but after spending 10 min on vr at a friends I was already feeling a lot more connected to the car than an hr with my 3 monitors. I did however find the resolution pretty disappointing, no motion sickness tho! Pro's and con's...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #35
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Olejniczak View Post
The majority of people that try a Rift/VR on iRacing don't share your opinion. Most people that try it say they can never go back to monitors. The resolution is definitely less than some really nice monitors, but you can still see everything clearly. It takes a bit to optimize the settings to get it just right, and you need a powerful PC to get the most clarity. Biggest difference in VR is that you feel like you are actually in the car, not looking at a 2d image. The depth perception in VR is a huge advantage for VR over screens too.

I primarily race in the Kamel GT series and about 75% of the drivers are using VR. Everyone I know in that series that makes the switch says the wish they converted sooner.

One of the big drawbacks with VR can be VR sickness. It hits some people pretty hard, and others not at all. I get normal motion sickness and got sick the 1st time I used iRacing in VR. It took me about a week of working through it and haven't had an issue since.

There are some people that can't get over the resolution differences though. That's just eye candy though and doesn't effect the racing experience. They are also missing out on a much more immersive experience.

I never heard of iRacing until a track day instructor told me about it. He recommended it as a tool to get a lot of track time and practice in for cheap. He said the skills you learn in iRacing will translate to the track. He was so right. After a winter of using iRacing my real life lap times improved a bunch. I went from mid-pack in the intermediate group to one of the fastest guys in the advanced group. I'm not a gamer and hadn't played video games since I was a kid, but I'm having a blast on iRacing. I doubt my experience would be the same if I was using screens. I've never used iRacing with screens though.
VR is great with sims. It makes the gameplay feel immersive and adds to the whole experience. I felt I was actually inside the R8 lms. But I don't take iRacing seriously enough to participate in a series so I'm fine with sacrificing lap times and experience for a better video quality. Also I haven't begun timing my lap times irl so doesn't matter for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #36
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Great review, Rob! I think that pretty much sums up everything I've read and heard about VR racing so far.

For me, though, I'm not really impressed with the first gen VRs, so I'm waiting for the next crop of VRs.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #37
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

So, who's in the daily iRacing swing? Would love to lap with some fellow BMW enthusiasts..

Currently running the iRacing LeMans Series, VRS Sprint Series, IMSA, Porsche Cup for my Road Racing career. Having fun tooling around with Nascar A/B cars now, too. The GRC Rallycross is no joke, either!

I can't get off this software, it's so much fun, especially with the latest tire models, etc, so realistic! Let me know if any of you would like to lap/practice, I'm always down in the evenings.. Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom etc as well, but noting tops iRacing, imo.
      05-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #38
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

O M G, they’re on a tear this year, new cars/tracks/physics

06-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #39
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Any pointers on how to reduce motion sickness? I'm on my second day with Vive+ Project cars 2 on PC and the most I can do is about 10 mins before I feel nauseated. I start sweating and become really fearful of crashing or spinouts. I've set world movement and g force effect to zero and it seemed to prolong my tolerance on day 2.

any other ideas?
      06-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #40
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Hmm I haven't experienced motion sickness so not sure.

Have you played any intense rated game like eve valkyrie (not sure if thats available on vive) and had the same feeling?

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #41
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
What monitor mount are you using? Are those 24s or 27s?
Sorry just saw this. 24" ASUS VG248QE

This is the stand

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I don't like about it how you see my monitors is the most angle you will get. They will not turn in more

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #42
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Any pointers on how to reduce motion sickness? I'm on my second day with Vive+ Project cars 2 on PC and the most I can do is about 10 mins before I feel nauseated. I start sweating and become really fearful of crashing or spinouts. I've set world movement and g force effect to zero and it seemed to prolong my tolerance on day 2.

any other ideas?
Yes. Set IPD correctly (do not neglect this), focus on the car's interior (very important to keep you "anchored" with a sense of balance in the vr environment, stop playing when you feel a little unwell even if it's only a few minutes play at a time. Just be patient. It took me like a month in X-Plane 11 VR to get to where I could use my rift for long periods of time. Do not push things. Back a couple years ago I got a DK2 and the first thing I did was play DCS huey til I had to vomit. Bad experience. Don't do that.

Do make sure to try iracing once you're more comfortable in VR. It requires some patience but the action is not to be beat. Lots of very good drivers. Nothing beats competing with other humans.
Appreciate 1
Nkc1600.50
      06-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #43
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post

any other ideas?
Yes. Set IPD correctly (do not neglect this), focus on the car's interior (very important to keep you "anchored" with a sense of balance in the vr environment, stop playing when you feel a little unwell even if it's only a few minutes play at a time. Just be patient. It took me like a month in X-Plane 11 VR to get to where I could use my rift for long periods of time. Do not push things. Back a couple years ago I got a DK2 and the first thing I did was play DCS huey til I had to vomit. Bad experience. Don't do that.

Do make sure to try iracing once you're more comfortable in VR. It requires some patience but the action is not to be beat. Lots of very good drivers. Nothing beats competing with other humans.
Thanks for the great advice. Day 3 seems to be the ticket for me. I practiced all day at the ring on a normal screen and then jumped into VR once I got the hang of the track and the car I was practicing with (mono). Man what a whole new world. Managed 10 seconds quicker than my best time right off the bat. Placement was completed intuitive and the track suddenly got much wider. The entire sensation was about 95% of my track experience with my real Atom.

It's weird that I suddenly felt fine and feel like I can play for hours. Man can't wait to jump back on to the seat and start racing.
      06-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #44
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

how crazy of a computer is needed for iracing? looking at the requirements i see online it seems like my macbook could run it (in windows with parallels). it's a mid-2012 mbp with 2.6ghz i7, 16gm ram, nvidia geforce gt 650m 1gb. Is this capable enough of a computer?