BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Thanksgiving/Holiday noise etiquette

Alright so it's Thanksgiving and we are here in NC alone. We have no plans so I was going to do some yard work/repairs to the barn.

My girlfriend then informs me it's not allowed to be making noise on Thanksgiving…

So instead I'm sitting here bored making this post. What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Women are super sensitive to this issue, I get told all the time, YOU CAN'T MOW BECAUSE IT"S A LONG WEEKEND or whatever. Like what?
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Because she's going to have more time to sit on the phone and gossip with friends? I think that a low to medium level of noice is acceptable but you'll need to gauge your "keep the peace" level or threaten to start your "Black Friday Project" at the crack of dawn, said the single guy...
      11-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Because she's going to have more time to sit on the phone and gossip with friends? I think that a low to medium level of noice is acceptable but you'll need to gauge your "keep the peace" level or threaten to start your "Black Friday Project" at the crack of dawn, said the single guy...
I think she more concerned about pissing off neighbors. I heard someone chainsawing off in the distance so mower might be coming out!
Appreciate 2
Alfisti6496.00
Bunnny219.50
      11-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Yeah, I hate to take her side but I agree. There is NO reasonable reason why but I walked the dog and not one person outside, not one person drove past us….probably could have walked the street Nekkid and no one noticed…..enjoy your time away and enjoy the girlfriend…na’ mean?
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Yeah, I hate to take her side but I agree. There is NO reasonable reason why but I walked the dog and not one person outside, not one person drove past us….probably could have walked the street Nekkid and no one noticed…..enjoy your time away and enjoy the girlfriend…na' mean?
Well I ended up just using it sparsely to move some stuff around. Once I saw people starting to show up at the only neighbors who could probably hear it I put it away.

Tomorrow is fair game though no?!
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4475.50
      11-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
LaVitaEBella
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Alright so it's Thanksgiving and we are here in NC alone. We have no plans so I was going to do some yard work/repairs to the barn.

My girlfriend then informs me it's not allowed to be making noise on Thanksgiving…

So instead I'm sitting here bored making this post. What are your thoughts?
Oh I don't think that it will be an issue.
I hope that you guys have a great holiday.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 09:14 PM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Holidays never stopped me before. Heck, my DW was outside this morning tuning up a new-to-her snowblower, and also ran the leaf blower to clean the front yard!

The only time that I've ever been angered by noise was when some inconsiderate driver fired up a hot dog compressor outside of my ground floor motel window at 5:00 AM at Nationals one year, and proceeded to swap his street tires for race rubber with an air gun.....
      11-25-2021, 09:19 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

We got some big Santa Ana winds today in the morning and afternoon, and yesterday. Left a big mess everywhere. I got my gas blower out today in the evening and cleaned everything up. Nobody seemed to mind.
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #10
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I heard someone mowing yesterday. Nevermind that it was windy as hell and cold enough to get a little bit of frozen stuff falling from the sky. I obviously can't speak for everyone but I'm pretty sure no one but the person mowing cared. Unless they were sitting in dead quiet in their house, they'd probably barely or not hear it. I only heard it because I was in my garage w/ the garage door open. Couldn't hear it at all from inside the house.
      11-26-2021, 08:55 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I was one of those noise makers. Screw anyone that has an issue as I'm the most quietest neighbor most of the time. The weather was great yesterday to do some outside chores. Mowed the yard with my riding mower to also grind up the leaves on the ground. Did some bush trimming. And took my daughter for a spin around the neighborhood on the riding mower.

It wasn't as if I was doing this past 4PM when most of the people were sitting down to gorge themselves.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #12
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Considering that I hear f-ing gas-powered leaf blowers in my neighborhood 6 to 7 days a week, I think it is more than appropriate and considerate to have a quiet day on holidays.

Enough is enough.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #13
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Considering that I hear f-ing gas-powered leaf blowers in my neighborhood 6 to 7 days a week, I think it is more than appropriate and considerate to have a quiet day on holidays.

Enough is enough.
If I want to clean up my yards then I will do it. If you don't like it that's just too bad. It was a terrible mess.

Like I said in my post above, my neighbors didn't mind. Some were out there doing the same thing as me. We waived hi. We're all very friendly. Been here for 30 years.

Last edited by Esteban; 11-26-2021 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
nyalpine907420.50
      11-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #14
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
If I want to clean up my yards then I will do it. If you don't like it that's just too bad. It was a terrible mess.

Like I said in my post above, my neighbors didn't mind. Some were out there doing the same thing as me. We waived hi. We're all very friendly. Been here for 30 years.
My neighbors mind so out of consideration for them, I put my money where my mouth is and went cordless electric.

Nearly every home in my neighborhood and many blocks beyond employ professional yard maintenance, so I hear 2-stroke leaf blowers and hedge trimmers virtually every week day, followed by the do-it-yourselfers on weekends - sometime 3 or 4 times a day during the week. The lots are large, so the noise goes on and on. It gets really old.

Like many other cities across the nation have already done, ours is considering a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #15
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My neighbors mind so out of consideration for them, I put my money where my mouth is and went cordless electric.

Nearly every home in my neighborhood and many blocks beyond employ professional yard maintenance, so I hear 2-stroke leaf blowers and hedge trimmers virtually every week day, followed by the do-it-yourselfers on weekends - sometime 3 or 4 times a day during the week. The lots are large, so the noise goes on and on. It gets really old.

Like many other cities across the nation have already done, ours is considering a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers.
When that happens here I will go electric. Until then I get to use my gas powered leaf blower. My neighbors have them as well. The only people who would be bothered here in my neighborhood are the old busy-bodies with nothing better to do than be bothered by their neighbors. Live and let live, I say.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #16
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

The big issue as i see it is folks using a blower on grass, that takes a LONG time, even with a really strong blower. I find it best to use the blower to extricate leaves from tough spots but once on grass i find it much faster to rake or if a really large lot, use a mulching mower.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #17
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Regardless of length of weekend or holiday, if yard work is being performed during reasonable hours (e.g. 10-5PM), there's nothing unreasonable or inconsiderate about it. People are getting hypersensitive towards everything.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615098.50
essejM360.50
      11-26-2021, 12:53 PM   #18
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I was out there and finished before dark so that would be considered reasonable in my book.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:25 PM   #19
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

So you can only go outside and make noise when all the neighbors are away?
F that.
You do work when you can. Everyone can be damned. They are just bitching because they are jealous they limit their life by stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I dunno, I have an electric leaf blower still sounds pretty loud to me. I think the blower is louder than the tiny gas engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:01 PM   #21
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
So you can only go outside and make noise when all the neighbors are away?
F that.
You do work when you can. Everyone can be damned. They are just bitching because they are jealous they limit their life by stupidity.
Yeah this thread is ridiculous. We should all be considerate toward each other. It's one thing if you're out there walking on the sidewalk with a leaf blower for the sake of creating noise, it's a completely different thing if you're doing a chore that needs to be done at a reasonable hour. What's next? Let's turn off our headlights after dark for homes at the end of a street? Some of us only find time to do our chores during holidays.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #22
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I ran the blower, in concert with my wife's uncle who ran the edger and mower. That's the least of the neighbors' concerns. As soon as I walk outside, the cube radio gets turned on. (Un)Fortunately for everyone within earshot, my radio is stuck on Country
Appreciate 0