BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
Introextro
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC CP San Marino

M6 Gran Coupe Front Bumper

Hello,

Today was a sad day because after 2.5 years i finally got a ding on my front bumper, thanks to a hidden tree stump. Showing some pictures of the damage. Can you please help to let me know if this can be repaired? Or will it have to be replaced. Also, I don't think this is worthy of a mention on the Carfax because people often misjudge Carfax, and there was no accident or any real damage, just some cosmetic scratches. What's the best way to avoid that? If i go to BMW Manhattan will they enter it into CArfax? Any idea about the costs? Thank you and really appreciate any inputs
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Grand Coupe

My guess is if you use insurance and it's over $4,000 it might be reported to carfax. If you dig into your savings and have a competent shop do it, it won't.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
dclin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FD3S

Unfortunately that is a repaint. It can be repaired though, no need to replace the bumper. Make sure they either repair with either Flex Filler:

https://www.polyvance.com/Flex-Filler-1/2000-T/

Or plastic welder

https://www.polyvance.com/video/poly...-bumper-repair

Though the damage looks minor and likely needs minimal filler, make sure the body shop doesn't get lazy and try to reshape with regular body filler. Too thick, and it can become brittle and cause issues down the road
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #4
Introextro
Private
Rep

Thank you both. I am thinking of taking it to the dealership, they said if it is minor they can repair it. I am guessing a few hundred so good to know likely won't be reported. Maybe I'll ask them to make sure it s not reported. I am definitely not going to insurance.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Too little damage to need plastic weld. Flex filler would make short work of it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Ahg, take that back, missed the crack. Definitely plastic welder. I can't see anything on this phone. I hate to say it, the dealership will probably want to replace the bumper. I'm guessing around $1000 for the bumper alone, probably $600-800 in paint and labor.

Unless you have a matte paint, you could take it any where reputable. A dealership isn't necessarily going to paint it any better. I would only take it to a BMW dealership for repairs involving structural repairs.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I was wondering that you said it can be repaired with filler. No way, the bumper is done. If you want it looking good buy a new bumper install it and go to a body shop for painting. They should overspray the fender and the hood and it will look like new.

Last edited by Havy; 06-08-2019 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
Introextro
Private
Rep

So it looks like if i went in for repair it probably won't be as good as the original, but can still be done close enough? I feel like I am ready to sell it. Also worry about the Carfax when getting a new bumper
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introextro View Post
So it looks like if i went in for repair it probably won't be as good as the original, but can still be done close enough? I feel like I am ready to sell it. Also worry about the Carfax when getting a new bumper
A good, reputable body shop can fix it, no worries. Body repair isn't rocket science - it just comes down to attention to detail and experience.

These guys talk a good game - no experience with them whatsoever though

I like that they send pictures during the repair process, at the very least it shows some pride in their work.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #10
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
I was wondering that you said I can be repaired with filler. No way, the bumper is done. If you want it looking good buy a new bumper install it and go to a body shop for painting. They should overspray the fender and the hood and it will look like new.
Because BMW parts are so expensive, it's probably still economically better to have the crack plastic welded. Here is plastic welding and flex filler in action.

OP will have to weigh the labor costs of doing something like this, vs the cost of a new bumper. My guess is the labor for plastic welding will end up being much less than 1/2 of the cost of of a new bumper skin... but then finding a good, detail orientated shop becomes even more important.

Just looked up the bumper cover for a 2014 M6 - $1434 retail, $1035 on parts.com

https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...4-%20Liter-GAS

OP - might be a good time to have them fill the holes from the license plate bracket

Last edited by dclin; 05-21-2019 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #11
Introextro
Private
Rep

Thanks, so helpful. So 2 shops have said the bumper needs to be replaced. I'll go to a couple more. Is the parts express bumper OEM? I am not sure these shops will let me order from there. Both found the MSRP
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #12
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, parts.com sells OEM parts. I can't see why they wouldn't allow you to bring your own parts, as long as you don't try to paint it yourself. Bodyshops are wary of taking on repaints, as the prep and primer etc used can affect the over all finish and longevity. If it's fresh out of the box from BMW, there isn't a concern.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
Introextro
Private
Rep

Yes, I checked for OEM too. This is awesome thank you so much. Just saved me $$! Any advice on the paint to use? I know any shop will mix to the exact specs but is there any point in going to the BMW to get it form the OEM manufacturer?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #14
dclin
Private First Class
Rep

Np! Choosing the body shop is the same as choosing what paint line they are going to use. Contrary to popular belief, car manufactures don't have their own paint (though dealership body shops will insinuate otherwise), and even if they did, the way they apply it at the factory is very different than any place that refinishes, dealership or third party body shop. (Other than touch up paint of course)

It's more important to find a body shop that will do good work, as that different paint lines can spray differently, so even if you could convince them to use a different paint, they may not be proficient at shooting it.
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      05-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #15
Introextro
Private
Rep

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind and check with Nick! Going away for a vacay so getting back to this the week after next
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #16
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Somewhat of a rookie question here, but does the Euro spec front bumper still have the orange side reflectors?

If not (which is what I'm assuming), is there a direct seller? Every parts catalog I'm finding online shows the reflectors, even if I specify an Euro vehicle...

Leo.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:29 AM   #17
anglaslt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: RHD X3 M40i + LHD Brabus B63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx View Post
Somewhat of a rookie question here, but does the Euro spec front bumper still have the orange side reflectors?

If not (which is what I'm assuming), is there a direct seller? Every parts catalog I'm finding online shows the reflectors, even if I specify an Euro vehicle...

Leo.
You're correct, there are no front reflectors on Euro spec cars. I'm assuming you'd like to remove them but doesn't that conflict with US requirements?

I cannot offer a solution as to where to source a Euro bumper (except to search the internet) but wouldn't it be easier to have a local bodyshop remove them, repair and repaint the existing bumper?

I certainly would agree that the Euro bumer is a better look.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglaslt View Post
wouldn't it be easier to have a local bodyshop remove them, repair and repaint the existing bumper?
Certainly, but since it's my daily, I would either need to leave the car there for a bit while the work is done or drive around with no bumper.

Just starting the brainstorming process. Ideally a used Euro spec bumper would be the way to go, but we both know that's not going to happen anytime soon. lol.

Just wanted to have it confirmed.
Do you/anyone know the actual part number for the Euro spec bumper?

Thanks!
Leo.
Appreciate 0