BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #67
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
I was also in Toronto on that trip, the metro area has deteriorated but not as bad as Montreal. The roads in Oakville, Burlinton, Hamilton are still in decent shape unlike the West Island of Montreal. Cars stolen in Montreal are Toyota's, Lexus, Ford F-150's and and few others. Do a simple Google search for "Montreal Car theft". Like I said, every night there was a car stolen for 4 nights in a row. Other Hotels in Montreal experiencing the same issue, even those with underground garages downtown. Toronto has similar issues with car theft but not as severe. It's really bad for tourism, residents should demand action from their police force.
Ya, for sure the roads generally suck here, but I was surprised it's getting there for Toronto.

That's insane, maybe it's all corrupt involving hotel staff and/or police, who knows? Anyway, I dislike any downtown of major cities, they are all messes or turning into messes w beggars, increased crime, etc, so I tend to stay away.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 05:38 PM   #68
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
The speed that comes right after "Hold my Beer" and just before "Officer I'm sure that's not right.
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2023, 10:39 PM   #69
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimnation View Post
When speed is not judged off of a speed limit but rather by your car’s capability and your own skill, what speed do you consider fast?
Towns the speed limit is right. Rural roads that have good unobscured visibility, low to no traffic and in the right conditions, 80mph. Most rural roads 65mph so 10mph over posted. Highways with no traffic and the right car 90-100mph would be doable, I honestly never do that though as I like my low insurance premiums. Most highways were designed for 70- 85mph but to keep emissions and fuel consumption lower the speed limits are what they are.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 07:48 AM   #70
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Whatever the ability of the driver, the, car and conditions can handle. Every situation is different.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:41 AM   #71
Fillip
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M3 (F80)

Anything over 140kph on the highways and anything over 100kph in the city.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 10:22 AM   #72
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
I was also in Toronto on that trip, the metro area has deteriorated but not as bad as Montreal. The roads in Oakville, Burlinton, Hamilton are still in decent shape unlike the West Island of Montreal. Cars stolen in Montreal are Toyota's, Lexus, Ford F-150's and and few others. Do a simple Google search for "Montreal Car theft". Like I said, every night there was a car stolen for 4 nights in a row. Other Hotels in Montreal experiencing the same issue, even those with underground garages downtown. Toronto has similar issues with car theft but not as severe. It's really bad for tourism, residents should demand action from their police force.
I live just north of Toronto do my best to stay out of Toronto/416 area code in general. Usually anything north of the 416 area code bounds is good quality pavement as the maintenance is much better, plus the infrastructure itself is not as old. My office is just a few intersections south of that "border" and by now I know where all the potholes are along any of my usual routes. All I can say that rim and tire protection already paid for itself. Still nowhere close to Montreal in terms of roads, what they have going on there is just criminal, maybe the mob is slicing too much off the top lol.

As for insurance, due to a rash of car thefts/carjackings, insurance premiums have started going up for people renewing their policies, so far I've seen dobule digit % increases for claimsfree drivers with spotless records. Last time my car was at the dealer and they couldn't provide a loaner, they took me to enterprise rentals and I was told I was lucky to be getting a car since they had several stolen the past week and the only reason I lucked out is that they got a brand new one arrive and hour prior to me showing up.
Appreciate 1
Condorll212.00
      10-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #73
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
I live just north of Toronto do my best to stay out of Toronto/416 area code in general. Usually anything north of the 416 area code bounds is good quality pavement as the maintenance is much better, plus the infrastructure itself is not as old. My office is just a few intersections south of that "border" and by now I know where all the potholes are along any of my usual routes. All I can say that rim and tire protection already paid for itself. Still nowhere close to Montreal in terms of roads, what they have going on there is just criminal, maybe the mob is slicing too much off the top lol.

As for insurance, due to a rash of car thefts/carjackings, insurance premiums have started going up for people renewing their policies, so far I've seen dobule digit % increases for claimsfree drivers with spotless records. Last time my car was at the dealer and they couldn't provide a loaner, they took me to enterprise rentals and I was told I was lucky to be getting a car since they had several stolen the past week and the only reason I lucked out is that they got a brand new one arrive and hour prior to me showing up.
Here is a story for you, two range rovers stolen and the victim drives to montreal to get the second one back from the port.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/canad...lf/ar-AA1er1rj

I highlight (Can the Canada Border Services be so damn lame or are they on the take?):

Taub said the provider of the tracking device, Tag, shared the car’s location with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), which subsequently set that container aside.

However, Taub said the CBSA told him it could take as long as four months to open the container due to the agency’s staffing shortages, and that it could still be shipped despite being set aside.
Appreciate 1
xander_g1007.50
      10-31-2023, 12:22 PM   #74
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Here is a story for you, two range rovers stolen and the victim drives to montreal to get the second one back from the port.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/canad...lf/ar-AA1er1rj

I highlight (Can the Canada Border Services be so damn lame or are they on the take?):

Taub said the provider of the tracking device, Tag, shared the car’s location with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), which subsequently set that container aside.

However, Taub said the CBSA told him it could take as long as four months to open the container due to the agency’s staffing shortages, and that it could still be shipped despite being set aside.
Sounds about right. someone found a stolen vehicle parked on his street, called the cops and they said they don't have time to address the issue at the moment. Car sat there for a couple of days, not sure what happened afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 10:06 PM   #75
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

For me I enjoy that initial torque kick more than sustaining high rolling speeds. With the M-car experience it's amazing to get up to 80-90mph aggressively, cruise a bit, then step on the throttle again and get another mule kick up to 120-130mph. (And then slow back down to the speed limit because I'm an upstanding citizen)
      11-14-2023, 10:32 PM   #76
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
I have a rule when I test drive cars. If it’s not stable and effortless at 110mph cruising then it’s a pass for me. Not that I drive this fast normally, but it’s just a sign for me on how the car behaves in such a situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 11:01 PM   #77
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
This is about as fast as I was comfortable with a

I only drive like this on the autobahn. Anywhere else is just reckless

2015 BMW M4 at the time. Left it in Germany when I moved back stateside
Attached Images

11-14-2023, 11:20 PM   #78
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBayernFTW View Post
This is about as fast as I was comfortable with a

I only drive like this on the autobahn. Anywhere else is just reckless

2015 BMW M4 at the time. Left it in Germany when I moved back stateside
Sorry. Just came from a trip to Germany again so it’s fresh in my memory.
If you drive 140km/h on the Autobahn you are part of the problem. I’d call you reckless sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 11:42 PM   #79
DontGetPassedOnTheRight
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Sorry. Just came from a trip to Germany again so it’s fresh in my memory.
If you drive 140km/h on the Autobahn you are part of the problem. I’d call you reckless sometimes.
That gauge says it's in mph. 200 kmph is only 124 mph, so that should confirm it even without the text.

As many others have mentioned, it depends on every factor from the driver to the vehicle to the conditions. An alert and able-bodied driver going 100 mph on the highway in a capable car is safe compared to a bad driver going 35 in a 40 zone in a Prius or CR-V with poor handling and stopping power. I am far more nervous seeing a shit car + driver on the same road as I am than being passed on the left at any speed differential. Personally, I've only gone up to the 130 limiter in my 3er (empty highways in Mexico during peak Covid times). [Exactly the speed limit + flow of traffic allowance] is fast enough for me in an X5.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5876.00
      11-15-2023, 12:08 AM   #80
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGetPassedOnTheRight View Post
That gauge says it's in mph. 200 kmph is only 124 mph, so that should confirm it even without the text.

As many others have mentioned, it depends on every factor from the driver to the vehicle to the conditions. An alert and able-bodied driver going 100 mph on the highway in a capable car is safe compared to a bad driver going 35 in a 40 zone in a Prius or CR-V with poor handling and stopping power. I am far more nervous seeing a shit car + driver on the same road as I am than being passed on the left at any speed differential. Personally, I've only gone up to the 130 limiter in my 3er (empty highways in Mexico during peak Covid times). [Exactly the speed limit + flow of traffic allowance] is fast enough for me in an X5.
Ah I missed the miles part lol
140 is too slow. 140 miles is ok. My bad for missing the obvious lol
Sorry op, you’re not reckless haha
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2023, 12:24 AM   #81
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimnation View Post
When speed is not judged off of a speed limit but rather by your car’s capability and your own skill, what speed do you consider fast?
If I read OP question correctly :
- the ask is for personal speed perception
- the ask does not expect an answer to be a fixed value in distance/time unit
- the "fast" does not imply "safe"

My answer: "any speed that yield in completing a trip in the smaller time window than anticipated before start of the trip".