BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #23
Foecartel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 F06

Hey guys small update,
So today I finally got in contact with the warranty company and got the car towed to a shop of their guaranteed network. I was bummed to find out that Munich Motorsports wasn't on their list as they're who id trust the most to fix my car. Have little to no info or reviews about the place i had it sent to but the few i find are all great. I was supposed to hear back today from them regarding what they found but i guess they were busy, tomorrow im sure ill hear from them and find out what really happened. About the liquid leak, it was just water, today i had to leave work early and meet the tow truck at the spot i left the car, i was able to turn it on with no problem to put in N and the noise it made even the tow truck guy said it is the Rods. It also finally turned the CEL on.
So in theory, lets say its the rods and maybe more, they fix it and do a great job, when put back together and running with the new parts would the engine be considered in excellent health? Would this give my engine a new longer life? Its at 61k right now, would this give me a peace of mind for a long time, at least engine wise?
I will definitely keep you guys updated whenever i hear back from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:10 PM   #24
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foecartel View Post
Hey guys small update,
So today I finally got in contact with the warranty company and got the car towed to a shop of their guaranteed network. I was bummed to find out that Munich Motorsports wasn't on their list as they're who id trust the most to fix my car. Have little to no info or reviews about the place i had it sent to but the few i find are all great. I was supposed to hear back today from them regarding what they found but i guess they were busy, tomorrow im sure ill hear from them and find out what really happened. About the liquid leak, it was just water, today i had to leave work early and meet the tow truck at the spot i left the car, i was able to turn it on with no problem to put in N and the noise it made even the tow truck guy said it is the Rods. It also finally turned the CEL on.
So in theory, lets say its the rods and maybe more, they fix it and do a great job, when put back together and running with the new parts would the engine be considered in excellent health? Would this give my engine a new longer life? Its at 61k right now, would this give me a peace of mind for a long time, at least engine wise?
I will definitely keep you guys updated whenever i hear back from them.
In regards to the rods issue. If the rods are bent there is a good chance a piston or cylinder may have been damage so make sure the folks doing the work check this out and make sure you get eyes on it yourself. There is also the issue of metal getting into the oil and being distributed through the engine.

Absolutely it can all be made good if not better as there are some aftermarket rod bearings but stock rods and pistons will always have that potential for failure if pushed too hard. I am driving an rkautowerks stock rebuild with over a year/12k miles and no concerns at all. A person would be hard pressed to find the least bit difference without tearing the car down. I don't have any concerns about keeping this car as my long term daily.

If they get permission to rebuild I would suggest that you compare the cost of the rebuild vs buying a rebuilt long block. If the shop doesn't have a history of doing the work they too will likely see the value in buying the long block and just doing the transplant and sending the core back.
      10-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #25
Foecartel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 F06

Hey guys small update, after 10 days and no full details later today i was told what i already knew, the engine blew due to a rod. It looks like i wont be able to pick what i want (forged engine from rk) but atleast ill be getting a brand new one. After i get my car back hopefully i wont be having engine problems anytime soon specially since i plan to upgrade everything i can to make it more reliable like the intercoolers, intakes, filters, spark plugs and coils ect.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 05:45 PM   #26
kenken89k
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i N55

do u have a video of how it sound like, and did it happen randomly? I'm at 50k now 16 M6 just got the car and this rod bearing issue is scaring me
Appreciate 0