BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-20-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
shagler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Another DTM & Any wiper recommendations

My '14 F13 had it's second Drivetrain Malfunction this past weekend, so off to the dealer it went. The official indication from the dealer was that the fuel injector cylinder #3 is leaking fuel and had fouled out the spark plug, the recommended solution will be; replacing spark plug #3, 1 spark plug, clean fuel injection system. CPO covered the majority of this as expected.

Since they had the car, they did a typical multipoint inspection and came back with some recommendations...mostly about fluid flushes, all of which I declined until my independent shop can give me their opinion. In addition to fluids, the inspection said that my wipers are streaking. I have almost never been completely satisfied that wipers work great and the ones on my car today are no exception...they aren't perfect. Anyway, the quote to replace the wipers came back with a cost of $140. I have a good advisor and joked that they must be made of gold. He acknowledged that the wipers from BMW are expensive, but that this quote also included adjustments...something I have not heard before related to wipers.

So....Curious what type of adjustment there may be for wipers. Any pointers to information that would be interesting?

Also, any good recommendations on wipers? I have had a few BMWs and many of the aftermarket wipers tend to look pretty different (more bulky, etc) than original. I did a quick look and one of the BMW dealers that offers parts online had the pair at $50 which seems more inline with what I would have expected (from a dealer). Anyone had good success with other wipers that work great and look original?

Steven
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagler View Post
My '14 F13 had it's second Drivetrain Malfunction this past weekend, so off to the dealer it went. The official indication from the dealer was that the fuel injector cylinder #3 is leaking fuel and had fouled out the spark plug, the recommended solution will be; replacing spark plug #3, 1 spark plug, clean fuel injection system. CPO covered the majority of this as expected.

Since they had the car, they did a typical multipoint inspection and came back with some recommendations...mostly about fluid flushes, all of which I declined until my independent shop can give me their opinion. In addition to fluids, the inspection said that my wipers are streaking. I have almost never been completely satisfied that wipers work great and the ones on my car today are no exception...they aren't perfect. Anyway, the quote to replace the wipers came back with a cost of $140. I have a good advisor and joked that they must be made of gold. He acknowledged that the wipers from BMW are expensive, but that this quote also included adjustments...something I have not heard before related to wipers.

So....Curious what type of adjustment there may be for wipers. Any pointers to information that would be interesting?

Also, any good recommendations on wipers? I have had a few BMWs and many of the aftermarket wipers tend to look pretty different (more bulky, etc) than original. I did a quick look and one of the BMW dealers that offers parts online had the pair at $50 which seems more inline with what I would have expected (from a dealer). Anyone had good success with other wipers that work great and look original?

Steven
They jerking you bro go get some Bosch from autozone or rain x
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmith88 View Post
They jerking you bro go get some Bosch from autozone or rain x
I fully appreciate that the adviser was doing his job and I have a good relationship with him, so no harm. I am not looking for a cheap way to solve the wiper problem, I am looking for good recommendations that work well and aren't simply universal in nature. My experience is that universal ones tend to have extras that take away from the clean look of originals. My experience with RainX is that I will avoid using it in the future. Just too much "baggage" that comes with that approach (doesn't work well over time, leaves a residue, etc).

S
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I fully appreciate that the adviser was doing his job and I have a good relationship with him, so no harm. I am not looking for a cheap way to solve the wiper problem, I am looking for good recommendations that work well and aren't simply universal in nature. My experience is that universal ones tend to have extras that take away from the clean look of originals. My experience with RainX is that I will avoid using it in the future. Just too much "baggage" that comes with that approach (doesn't work well over time, leaves a residue, etc).

S
While you were at the dealership...did you walk over to the parts department? If not, give them a call and quote for the price of wiper blade refills. Then post back to and let us know what the difference is.

What it may show is that the blades are approx $50...the the rest of that is labor. And hopefully you know how easy & simple it is to replace the wiper blades on an F06/F12/F13. Basically, when you open the car door (to "wake-up" the car)...you can initiate the wiper blade fold out position WITHOUT having to press the START/STOP button. You just press upward on the wiper stalk & hold it for approx 10 seconds (this moves the wiper blade arms into the fold-out position). If that doesn't work, then DO press the start/stop button once (no need to start the engine)...then press upward & hold the wiper stalk. You then move the blades away from the windshield and turn the rubber part horizontal which allows you to pull/separate the rubber blade part from the wiper arm. You then slide the new blade on and lower the arm back to the glass.

If you are uncomfortable with the above and feel better paying someone $140...then send me your address...I'll come and do it for $135.

Edit:

Call/ask your local BMW dealership's parts department how much they sell item #1 for in the diagram below...or type "BMW 61 61 2 209 047" into a google/internet search box to find online vendors selling the part:

{here's a video that shows how easy it is to change the wiper blades}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-20-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
You bring up a very good question that I neglected to ask..how much just for the blades. I just sent a message back to the adviser asking that question and will past back.

I consider myself to be quite mechanically inclined, so zero issues on actually changing out the blades. I had never heard of any type of adjustment which was one of the main questions to the forum.

Completely agree...I'd change someone's wipers for $100 any day of the week.

Thanks

Steven
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
dansonsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 640d in Alpine white

Great info QSilver7...much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Call/ask your local BMW dealership's parts department how much they sell item #1 for in the diagram below...or type "BMW 61 61 2 209 047" into a google/internet search box to find online vendors selling the part:
Here is the direct email response from my service adviser: BMW WIPERS FOR YOUR MODEL $94 + TAX

A quick search shows that the parts are available at a dealer in Georgia that I believe is well known on this site has the same thing for $49.

I really want to work with my local dealer, but not if there is this much discrepancy. I am messaging back to my dealer this information to see how they respond. The basic question...Why would I pay DOUBLE from my primary dealer when the alternative is simply to order online for the exact same part.

Interested to see how they respond.

Steven
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Just a quick follow up. The dealer came back to me and said that they could offer non-BMW wipers at similar costs, but could not offer BMW wipers, even though the price I gave them was from another dealer (albeit, not a local one).

Like I have said, I would love to support my local dealer..they have been good to me. But that can't be at a 100% premium.

Steven
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Just a quick follow up. The dealer came back to me and said that they could offer non-BMW wipers at similar costs, but could not offer BMW wipers, even though the price I gave them was from another dealer (albeit, not a local one).

Like I have said, I would love to support my local dealer..they have been good to me. But that can't be at a 100% premium.

Steven
Well...that kind of sucks...especially when you're trying to work with them.

The only thing I can suggest/recommend (based on what you've written)...is to bypass the Service manager and walk directly in to the parts department and deal with them one-on-one.

I did this a long time ago and has worked great. I deal with the service guys and the parts guys/gals separately. Even if I'm going to have work done at the dealership through the SA...I will order my parts (myself) through the parts guys...work my deal there, then make the appointment with the SA and let them know that the parts have already been ordered and to see their parts department.

My motivation was just like what you've intimated. For parts that really needed to be purchased from BMW...I wanted to give my local economy the 1st chance...so I brought in price quotes from online (BMW parts and aftermarket parts) then asked if they could match or come close. They hem-hawed at first...but then I mentioned that I really wanted to support them...but in the end, my wallet is going to try to be the winner.

Sometimes they can't match/beat the online prices and sometimes they can or come real close. Sometimes they may cost more but when the local tax is added vs the shipping/handling cost...they win the bid.

Again, I would avoid asking the service adivsor...and walk or call the parts department regularly. My local BMW parts dept have saved me so much money some years...I usually reward them with some treat at Christmas or around the end of the year. That probably helps endear me as well...and I at least get a hardy hello and smile when I walk in the door.

Good luck.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0