BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Installed Wide Angle side mirrors: DIY

Well...did my first mod on the f06 which was to install wide angle (aspherical) mirrors. Here's a quick/simple DIY if anyone is curious or thought about it.

BMW part nbrs for wide angle/heated/EC (aka auto dimming) mirrors :
  • 51*16*7*186*587 (left)
  • 51*16*7*186*588 (right)

I found a set of wide angle/EC/heated driver & passenger side mirrors on eBay...the 1st seller was from Lithuania...but while packing the mirrors, the passenger side mirror was dropped and got cracked. Since it was the last set they had, they contacted me to let me know what happened and cancelled the purchase and refunded me. I found another set from a seller in Berlin Germany which were actually $20 cheaper (a loss that turned into a win)

The mirrors are easy to remove especially if you have nylon/plastic pry tools. Just push the top of the mirror inward where the bottom juts outward...then gently pry the bottom half of the mirror glass off the clips that holds the mirror to the motor assembly:

Once you free the mirror from the FOUR clips (located at 1:00/5:00/7:00/11:00 o'clock positions)...you will see the electrical harness that supplies heating and dimming functions to the mirror. To release the wiring harness...just take a small tool (like a flat head screwdriver) to slightly raise the clip that secures the harness to the mirror and the harness can then be pushed/pulled out:

{note small screwdriver lifting tab that facilitates harness removal}

{note the rounded plastic nubs @ 1:00/5:00/7:00/11:00 o'clock positions...this is what the mirror glass clips onto which secures it to the mirror motor assembly}

In the pics below you can compare the front and rear sides of the passenger side wide angle/EC/heated mirror glass (on the left) to the original passenger side convex/EC/heated mirror glass (on the right):

{front side: Wide angle vs Convex}
{note how the wide angle mirror glass comes to the edge of the mirror giving a mm or two of extra reflection capability whereas the original mirror has a thick black band around the circumference of the mirror glass}

{rear side: Wide angle vs Convex}

In the pics below, you can compare the additional reflective coverage picked up by the wide angle mirrors vs the original driver's side 1:1 ratio mirror and passenger's convex mirrors. The car was parked in the same grocery store parking lot for all of the pics below. You can use the parking space lines to compare the amount of coverage for each mirror. In both cases, the wide angle (aspherical) mirrors provide more coverage. If you don't have the blind spot dectection feature...the aspherical mirrors could be greatly beneficial.

{original driver's side "plain" mirror}

{wide angle driver's side mirror}

{original passenger's side "convex" mirror}

{wide angle passenger's side mirror}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-17-2018 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00
Frupal779.50
      09-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Not something i would have ever thought about, but looks quite beneficial. Nice mod
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks...it's something I've done on my 95 525iT, 97 740iL, 99 540iT, and e53 X5 4.4 . The aspherical wide angle mirrors provides so much better coverage...it''s a must do now (for me) since I've become accustomed to them over the decades. Especially on the driver's side...not sure why the US DOT "poo-poos" them and requires a 1:1 visual ratio (plain mirror glass) on the driver's side.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #4
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Cool mod - thanks for the detailed write up!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
Genovese45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850 Gran Coupe

nice work. never crossed my mind
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Definitely one of my next mods!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
AZ_Bmw_550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i GC

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Nice write up. This is always the first mod I do to any BMW. It makes driving the car so much safer. It's mind boggling that they don't come from the factory this way. It must be some obscure US regulation, but I have no idea which one...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Bmw_550 View Post
Nice write up. This is always the first mod I do to any BMW. It makes driving the car so much safer. It's mind boggling that they don't come from the factory this way. It must be some obscure US regulation, but I have no idea which one...

It appears those of us that choose to install aspherical/wide angle mirrors are breaking the law...even though we have a greater "field of view":
LAWYER DIRECTORY
LEGAL ENCYCLOPEDIA

CFR › Title 49 › Subtitle B › Chapter V › Part 571 › Subpart B › Section 571.111
49 CFR 571.111 - Standard No. 111; Rear visibility.
eCFR
Authorities (U.S. Code)

§ 571.111 Standard No. 111; Rear visibility.
S1. Scope. This standard specifies requirements for rear visibility devices and systems.

S2. Purpose. The purpose of this standard is to reduce the number of deaths and injuries that occur when the driver of a motor vehicle does not have a clear and reasonably unobstructed view to the rear.

S3. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, school buses, motorcycles and low-speed vehicles.

S4. Definitions.

Backing event means an amount of time which starts when the vehicle's direction selector is placed in reverse, and ends at the manufacturer's choosing, when the vehicle forward motion reaches:

(a) a speed of 10 mph,

(b) a distance of 10 meters traveled, or

(c) a continuous duration of 10 seconds.

Convex mirror means a mirror having a curved reflective surface whose shape is the same as that of the exterior surface of a section of a sphere.

Effective mirror surface means the portions of a mirror that reflect images, excluding the mirror rim or mounting brackets.

Rearview image means a visual image, detected by means of a single source, of the area directly behind a vehicle that is provided in a single location to the vehicle operator and by means of indirect vision.

Rear visibility system means the set of devices or components which together perform the function of producing the rearview image as required under this standard.

Unit magnification mirror means a plane or flat mirror with a reflective surface through which the angular height and width of the image of an object is equal to the angular height and width of the object when viewed directly at the same distance except for flaws that do not exceed normal manufacturing tolerances. For the purposes of this regulation a prismatic day-night adjustment rearview mirror one of whose positions provides unit magnification is considered a unit magnification mirror.

S5. Requirements for passenger cars.

S5.1 Inside rearview mirror. Each passenger car shall have an inside rearview mirror of unit magnification.

S5.1.1 Field of view. Except as provided in S5.3, the mirror shall provide a field of view with an included horizontal angle measured from the projected eye point of at least 20 degrees, and a sufficient vertical angle to provide a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon beginning at a point not greater than 61 m to the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle is occupied by the driver and four passengers or the designated occupant capacity, if less, based on an average occupant weight of 68 kg. The line of sight may be partially obscured by seated occupants or by head restraints. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 ( § 571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.

S5.1.2 Mounting. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support for the mirror, and shall provide for mirror adjustment by tilting in both the horizontal and vertical directions. If the mirror is in the head impact area, the mounting shall deflect, collapse or break away without leaving sharp edges when the reflective surface of the mirror is subjected to a force of 400 N in any forward direction that is not more than 45° from the forward longitudinal direction.

S5.2 Outside rearview mirror - driver's side.

S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification. The mirror shall provide the driver a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon from a line, perpendicular to a longitudinal plane tangent to the driver's side of the vehicle at the widest point, extending 2.4 m out from the tangent plane 10.7 m behind the driver's eyes, with the seat in the rearmost position. The line of sight may be partially obscured by rear body or fender contours. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 ( § 571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.

S5.2.2 Mounting. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support for the mirror, and neither the mirror nor the mounting shall protrude farther than the widest part of the vehicle body except to the extent necessary to produce a field of view meeting or exceeding the requirements of S5.2.1. The mirror shall not be obscured by the unwiped portion of the windshield, and shall be adjustable by tilting in both horizontal and vertical directions from the driver's seated position. The mirror and mounting shall be free of sharp points or edges that could contribute to pedestrian injury.

S5.3 Outside rearview mirror passenger's side. Each passenger car whose inside rearview mirror does not meet the field of view requirements of S5.1.1 shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification or a convex mirror installed on the passenger's side. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support and be free of sharp points or edges that could contribute to pedestrian injury. The mirror need not be adjustable from the driver's seat but shall be capable of adjustment by tilting in both horizontal and vertical directions.

S5.4 Convex mirror requirements. Each motor vehicle using a convex mirror to meet the requirements of S5.3 shall comply with the following requirements:

S5.4.1 When each convex mirror is tested in accordance with the procedures specified in S12. of this standard, none of the radii of curvature readings shall deviate from the average radius of curvature by more than plus or minus 12.5 percent.

S5.4.2 Each convex mirror shall have permanently and indelibly marked at the lower edge of the mirror's reflective surface, in letters not less than 4.8 mm nor more than 6.4 mm high the words “Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear.”

S5.4.3 The average radius of curvature of each such mirror, as determined by using the procedure in S12., shall be not less than 889 mm and not more than 1,651 mm.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
AZ_Bmw_550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i GC

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Good to know. I'll throw myself on the mercy of the court... Another ridiculous regulation.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

I didn’t know you got an F06, Q!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 04:01 AM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by board57796 View Post
I didn’t know you got an F06, Q!!
Yep...I made the leap. I traded the e38 in for the f06 at the end of August. I haven't had a chance to take any pics yet...but here's one from the seller. You can see it's a base model (no sport pkg)...but it did have everything else on my "want" list plus some that didn't matter.

For anyone curious about the build sheet...here's the VIN..you can run it through a decoder site: D098676
Attached Images

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-17-2018 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #12
vaio23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650I

I just ordered a set of mirrors from Ebay used ($120). Looks like a nice mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you've never had them on your car before...it may take a week or two to get used to the driver's side.

It's odd how our brains work...because most USA drivers don't have an issue with the convex mirror on the passenger side...but since we are so used to the plain mirror on the driver's side...when you change to the wide angle...it can be a slight adjustment when things in that mirror are now "closer than what they appear". But once you get used to it...you can see from the pics above how much more is visible beside and behind you.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
board57796
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Wow, never thought I'd see the day Q didn't have an E38! I remember you from my first E38 days back in 2005 on Bimmerboard. Well, glad to have you over here! You are a wealth of information.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      12-17-2018, 01:22 AM   #15
tpsc3crt
Rep
Drives: 640XI F12

First off, thanks for the write up. Though I do have a question. How do you know which wide-angle mirrors have the dimming function? or do all of the heated ones with the part number you listed automatically have the dimming feature?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #16
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Good idea but here is a easier, cheaper way to get pretty much the same thing. Pic is the mirror on my Corvette but I also put one on the 650.

https://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Utopi...39655323&psc=1

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsc3crt View Post
First off, thanks for the write up. Though I do have a question. How do you know which wide-angle mirrors have the dimming function? or do all of the heated ones with the part number you listed automatically have the dimming feature?

Thanks!
If you use the 11 digit BMW part nbr...then there's no way of making a mistake (unless the vendor selling the mirror screws up). There are TWO different diagrams for the side mirrors (in the part database)...you have the regular mirrors...and the ones that have the EC (dimming) feature are under option code S430A

If you pull up the mirrors in one of the part databases (at least the ones I use)...each mirror part nbr specifically lists the options the mirror performs.

These are my favorite 3 part databases...if look up your BMW using your VIN, or even if you search generically...you will see how the database lists what each mirror is capable of:
  1. www.realoem.com
  2. www.bmwfans.info
  3. www.etk.cc

Also, the EC mirrors have a different electrical wiring harness than the regular heated mirrors. The regular heated mirrors usually only have two pin connectors that two single-wires attach to on the back of the mirror glass which powers the heating element. In the pics at the top of the thread, you can see that the EC (autodimming mirrors) have a larger wiring harness that has 4 wires. Hope this answers your question.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-18-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #18
breeze
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

For someone with decades of driving experience in Europe, US regulations allowing only a plain rearview mirror are hard to reason about. Those who have made this mod years ago — what’s your experience, have you ever got into any legal-ish issues? Like if you get pulled over, does it matter for cops if you have convex mirrors on the car? Or when you bring the car back to the dealer for oil change, are convex mirrors an issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #19
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
...Those who have made this mod years ago — what’s your experience, have you ever got into any legal-ish issues? Like if you get pulled over, does it matter for cops if you have convex mirrors on the car? Or when you bring the car back to the dealer for oil change, are convex mirrors an issue?
As mentioned back in post #3...I’ve been using wide angle/aspherical mirrors since my 1995 525iT and I’ve NEVER had any issues with the authorities (aka cops) or dealerships.

Mostly, cops probably don’t even notice or pay attention to the wide angle mirrors nor that the “warning” is missing from the passenger side mirror...they are probably more focused on their own safety (not getting shot). And since it is not against the law to adhere a small “stick on” aspherical mirror (like the link Walt posted)...it probably doesn’t even register that the mirror is supposed to be plain.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #20
breeze
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Thanks Qsilver7. That makes sense about the cops. I’m also wondering what would happen in a hypothetical situation when a dealership’s associate hits a wall or another vehicle and starts blaming the mirrors. Would the law be on the associate’s side? Trying to gauge here whether it’s worth the hassle to put flat mirrors back when going to the dealership. Based on what you shared, it’s probably not.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 01:00 PM   #21
TGrits10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC

I'm definitely going to do this, my starboard mirror has the bad fluid stain going so I'll replace both at the same time.

Question: I've actually never done international shipping before, so I'm curious how the customs/taxes/paperwork is handled. Looks like sellers on Ebay include a generic "customs/taxes/paperwork is your problem" statement and wash their hands of it. Does the buyer need to be proactive with customs to avoid holdups and confusion?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:54 AM   #22
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGrits10 View Post
I'm definitely going to do this, my starboard mirror has the bad fluid stain going so I'll replace both at the same time.

Question: I've actually never done international shipping before, so I'm curious how the customs/taxes/paperwork is handled. Looks like sellers on Ebay include a generic "customs/taxes/paperwork is your problem" statement and wash their hands of it. Does the buyer need to be proactive with customs to avoid holdups and confusion?
I’ve never had issues going through international shipping coming from overseas into the US. Never had to do anything special to ensure my items come through.
Appreciate 0