BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
mpower33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 E60

my car died (help needed)

so I own a 20112bmw 650i I bought the car used last year, and I drove it for about 15K the car now is at 70K

so the car has been braking a lot, even more than my old car which was an e60 m5

but the major and scary issue I currently have is that I was driving and then the car suddenly died on me, no lights, no weird sounds, nothing; It literally just died.

note: the car visited the mechanic more than 5 times over 2 months, I replaced both fuel pumps injectors fixed leakages and new alternator, and some other parts.

but few days ago the car suddenly decided to die on me which I thought its low fuel, I filled the car with gas and still it wouldn't start then suddenly out of no where I smell electrical smell (which Isnt the first time but I thought I fixed that issue just few weeks back when the car was at the mechanic) but this time white smoke came out which was very scary.
long story short today the same mechanic called me and told me that the engine might be seized, but honestly I don't know how true that is specially that he didn't even open the engine.

any opinions/suggestions will really help.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower33 View Post
so I own a 20112bmw 650i I bought the car used last year, and I drove it for about 15K the car now is at 70K

so the car has been braking a lot, even more than my old car which was an e60 m5

but the major and scary issue I currently have is that I was driving and then the car suddenly died on me, no lights, no weird sounds, nothing; It literally just died.

note: the car visited the mechanic more than 5 times over 2 months, I replaced both fuel pumps injectors fixed leakages and new alternator, and some other parts.

but few days ago the car suddenly decided to die on me which I thought its low fuel, I filled the car with gas and still it wouldn't start then suddenly out of no where I smell electrical smell (which Isnt the first time but I thought I fixed that issue just few weeks back when the car was at the mechanic) but this time white smoke came out which was very scary.
long story short today the same mechanic called me and told me that the engine might be seized, but honestly I don't know how true that is specially that he didn't even open the engine.

any opinions/suggestions will really help.
In the trunk there is a fuel computer to the right it either malfunctioning or ya wiring has a short but you said your not getting fuel supply warning correct??
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You don't give enough details. You said the engine would not start, but what does it do when you try? A seized engine will do nothing - you will hear a click as your starter solenoid engages, but nothing else. If the engine turned over, but just didn't start, then it is not seized. White smoke from where? What were you doing when the white smoke came out? Finally, you don't need to open an engine to determine if it is seized. You can try and turn the engine manually. Did you ask the mechanic what he did to determine it might be seized?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
mpower33
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
You don't give enough details. You said the engine would not start, but what does it do when you try? A seized engine will do nothing - you will hear a click as your starter solenoid engages, but nothing else. If the engine turned over, but just didn't start, then it is not seized. White smoke from where? What were you doing when the white smoke came out? Finally, you don't need to open an engine to determine if it is seized. You can try and turn the engine manually. Did you ask the mechanic what he did to determine it might be seized?
I hear nothing no clicks, white smoke from the hood (I've seen this before when there was a leak on the alternator), I tried to start the car after I filled it with gas and then electrical smell came out then on my second attempt to start the car the white smoke appeared.
the mechanic just tried to start the car he did not give enough details, that's why I'm worried and I want to know what to look for

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
mpower33
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmith88 View Post
In the trunk there is a fuel computer to the right it either malfunctioning or ya wiring has a short but you said your not getting fuel supply warning correct??
no I thought the car died because of low gas, but after I filled it, it still wont start, in matter of the fact that's when the electrical smell appeared, so the issue isn't gas but im not sure what it is
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

A car that will not start can be too many things to guess at from here, so we can't really tell you what to look for. If you trust the mechanic, talk to him. It's not too hard to tell if an engine is seized, although these cars are a bit harder because of all the stuff up front in the way. Basically you put a socket on the flywheel bolt and see if you can turn the engine with a breaker bar. Taking the plugs out helps it turn easier, but not totally necessary. So step one is whether it is seized. If not, you may have a short that killed your battery or electrical systems. Or somebody who worked on it recently did something wrong. But if it does nothing when you try to start it, then it is not a fuel issue. It's either seized, or an electrical issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
mpower33
Enlisted Member
Rep

update: its been a week and the mechanic just told me that the engine will not start but in order for him to know why he'll have to tear down the engine.
all he said is that its common with V8 bmw's.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower33 View Post
update: its been a week and the mechanic just told me that the engine will not start but in order for him to know why he'll have to tear down the engine.
all he said is that its common with V8 bmw's.
That doesn't make much sense unless by "will not start" you mean will not even turn.
Appreciate 0