BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
polar993
Legend
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 Gran Coupe

ECU Tuning - A few questions, and need some direction please

I am considering a tune for my 2017 Alpina B6 GC. I have read a number of posts on various tunes, including BootMod3 flash tune, and custom tunes by reputable companies like Mission Performance, etc. Even after reading through many posts, I still have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can answer for me.

- Will a tune of any type affect and void my factory warranty? My current warranty doesn’t run out for another 2 years.
- Can the car be reset to the original factory settings if necessary?
- Is it necessary to get a fully custom tune, or will a standard map like BM3 be okay?
- Do I need to bring my car in-person to have this done, or can I buy a cable and download some software and do this myself?
- Roughly how much does a tune cost?

The things I am looking to achieve with a tune are the following. My only mods so far are Eisenmann Race Rear Mufflers. Everything else is stock.

- Improve acceleration and overall power
- Improve sound of muffler (wanting more of a raspy sound….but not a ridiculous burble tune)
- Improve shift points….my car tends to upshift way too much. Cruising at 45mph in Sport Mode has the car in 7th gear, which I hate!

My main concern is the warranty. I don’t want to lose my warranty or run into any issues if I need to take my car to BMW for service.

Thanks so much in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
SSM6
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

I believe only Dinan will not void your warranty
Yes it can be reverted back to stock settings
Standard BM3 is okay, a custom dyno tune is best route for maximum performance.
You can do both, take it in or do it remotely

overall, you wont regret tuning this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Rosho808
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM6 View Post
I believe only Dinan will not void your warranty
Yes it can be reverted back to stock settings
Standard BM3 is okay, a custom dyno tune is best route for maximum performance.
You can do both, take it in or do it remotely

overall, you wont regret tuning this car.
This is all correct and great advice, I have full Dinan intake/exhaust/tuner stage 2 on my car and I love it, and the warranty piece of mind makes it that much better.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition

I am running the stage 1 flash with Bootmod3 and I have no issues with it and it really opened the car up. I will be doing stage 2 in a few weeks as I get my downpipes installed.

Bootmod3 will improve acceleration and power. Your exhaust won’t change but you’ll have an option to be able to always have the exhaust valve opened or have it always opened when you’re in sport mode. Downpipes will make a big difference in the sound of your exhaust. And as far as I know it doesn’t change anything with the DCT shifting but I may be wrong. Do you have your drive logic all the way up when you’re in sport mode?

Does the Alpina have the s63 motor in it? I know it’s a similar platform just not sure what is different. Depending on the variances the standard flash tunes might not be the best route since they were tuned using the standard s63. But with the Bootmod3 you still have the option of getting a custom tune done if the standard flashes aren’t the best option.

With the Bootmod3 you have the ability to just flash it back to stock whenever you want. So if you’re taking the car in for service, just quickly flash it back to stock and you’re good to go. It was easy to install using a laptop and an obd/Ethernet connector. You can also buy the WiFi adapter on eBay and just use your phone to connect and flash which is what I’ll be doing next. Another bonus is that you can resell the Bootmod3 license to someone else if you ever sell your car. Contact AutoTalent for pricing information. They were great to deal with when I made the purchase.

Another option would be, https://www.openflashtablet.com/shop/

I’ve read good things about them and might be worth looking into.
      04-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Note the 650i, B6 and M6 are all quite different. The Alpina one is here.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...6-alpina-b6-2/
Appreciate 0