BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-27-2023, 07:51 AM   #1
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

50k mile service and tire wear question

Well, my wife talked me into keeping my 2014 650ixdrive convert, says it a great date night car, but that also means i have to perform the 50k mile service which i think is a big one. Aside from the obvious, Oil change, Spark plugs and tire rotation, should i do anything else? Trans fluid change, coolant, etc?

Also, im getting odd tire wear on the inside of the two front tires. Basically its wearing on the inside part of the tire edge much faster than the rest of the tire and that seems to be a trend given thats why i had to replace the two from tires about 20k miles ago. They aligned it when they replaced the tires, done by the dealership, and its been aligned several time prior to me owning it according to car fax. Is that just normal for these xdrive cars, or do i have another issue besides alignment i need to look into?

thx

Last edited by cdog2964; 08-27-2023 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: couldnt upload video
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 12:29 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

There should be a maintenance/service booklet in your owners manual binder, too…that can give you an idea of what services to perform based on mileage.

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 03:12 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog2964 View Post
Well, my wife talked me into keeping my 2014 650ixdrive convert, says it a great date night car, but that also means i have to perform the 50k mile service which i think is a big one. Aside from the obvious, Oil change, Spark plugs and tire rotation, should i do anything else? Trans fluid change, coolant, etc?

Also, im getting odd tire wear on the inside of the two front tires. Basically its wearing on the inside part of the tire edge much faster than the rest of the tire and that seems to be a trend given thats why i had to replace the two from tires about 20k miles ago. They aligned it when they replaced the tires, done by the dealership, and its been aligned several time prior to me owning it according to car fax. Is that just normal for these xdrive cars, or do i have another issue besides alignment i need to look into?

thx
I do not have unusual inner front tire wear on my 2015 XDrive convertible at 54,000 miles. You must have either a toe or camber issue. But before getting another alignment, I'd get a competent person to check all your suspension bushings. The oil-filled bushings on the large arms way at the front are often failed/leaking by 50,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 07:03 PM   #4
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
There should be a maintenance/service booklet in your owners manual binder, too…that can give you an idea of what services to perform based on mileage.

Yes, i understand the normal maintenance schedule, but my question is since the car has been sitting so long with not a lot of miles put on it, should i consider accelerating the fluid changes and not wait another couple of years until i have the correct amount of miles on it to do the scheduled maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 09:07 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Your question didn't say anything about the car "sitting so long." And we don't know what that means even now. I have a one year newer car with similar miles, and at no point would I say it has been "sitting." At or around 50k I did plugs, tranny fluid, front and rear differential fluids and transfer case fluid. But that's just me - I didn't do it because of sitting or any other reason. 50k is just a nice round number, so I celebrated it. I still have not changed the coolant. Maybe someday I will.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 03:35 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
...Aside from the obvious, Oil change, Spark plugs and tire rotation, should i do anything else? Trans fluid change, coolant, etc?
thx
Quote:
...since the car has been sitting so long with not a lot of miles put on it, should i consider accelerating the fluid changes and not wait another couple of years until i have the correct amount of miles on it to do the scheduled maintenance?
If the car is running great with no issues...and you do plan to keep it...and you have the funds...then why not. Treat her to a "spa day". Everything you mentioned would fall into the "good measure" category.

I would throw in one more fluid change that wasn't mentioned...and that would be to change your brake fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) which degrades the brake fluid's effectiveness. It should be changed on a 2-3 year interval.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 05:06 PM   #7
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If the car is running great with no issues...and you do plan to keep it...and you have the funds...then why not. Treat her to a "spa day". Everything you mentioned would fall into the "good measure" category.

I would throw in one more fluid change that wasn't mentioned...and that would be to change your brake fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) which degrades the brake fluid's effectiveness. It should be changed on a 2-3 year interval.
Awesome, thank you. Exactly the info i was looking for.
Thx again
Appreciate 0