BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-13-2018, 02:09 AM   #23
RaFFI ///M3
Private
Rep
Drives: SL55

Wow lol, this thread is definitely not making me want to buy a 650.. Leaning more on the CLS side now.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:51 AM   #24
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm looking to buy a 650i xDrive with high mileage and was wondering if anybody has over 100k miles by now and has any input! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #25
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjoker View Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm looking to buy a 650i xDrive with high mileage and was wondering if anybody has over 100k miles by now and has any input! Thanks
You don't say what year. 2014 or later is best. I don't know that anybody on here has that high of miles, but so much depends on who you are as much as what the car is. If you are buying a 6 with miles that high because you can't afford anything else then you may be making a mistake. How much less are you paying for one with high miles vs. one with 30k miles? Will the 100k car need more than that price differential in repairs? Can you do most everything yourself? If so, then it may be worth it. If not, and you are stretching your finances to get a 100k car, you will almost certainly regret it. Unless already done, by those miles the suspension will be pretty shot. Unless done, by those miles various hoses near the turbos will need to be replaced soon, etc.

I now see that you already have a 2016 X, so maybe money is not really an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #26
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

When asking about the 650, you really need to look at the year - in particular, does it have the N63 or N63TU. The N63, in my opinion, should be avoided at all costs. It's notoriously unreliable. The N63TU, on the other hand, is a significant improvement - but still not a car you should own "lightly."

As the old saying goes, there's nothing more expensive than a used German luxury car. Now, that's not the way it NEEDS to be, but you should be prepared for it. In roughly 20 years of owning BMWs, some of which I've kept to around (and over) 100k miles (always purchased new), I've had very good experiences with them mechanically - even when the broader model has known for problems.

A few observations:

- BMW is fantastic at inline-6's - this is their heritage. The V8s? They're low volume.

- You need to know what you're buying - how was the car treated by the previous owner (if buying used)? Was it driven by a businessman on highway trips? Was it driven by a younger guy who tuned it and flogged it? I'd sooner buy a 50k mile car driven by the former than a 15k mile car owned by the latter.

- Preventative maintenance. Too many people, especially once the car is out of warranty, think that "oil changes" equate to maintenance. There's much more to it, so look for complete maintenance records. Cars with incomplete maintenance records should be avoided.

- Drive it respectfully - it's a powerful GT, not a sports car. Some people confuse high HP with thinking they can drive a GT as if it's a sports car. No, the engines weren't designed for racing - holding high revs, excessive heat dissipation, endurance on a road course, etc. It was designed for highway cruising, lots of air flow, high but constant speeds, and occasional kick-down for passing. That's where it's at home. Find the one that's been driven this way.

- City vs. Suburb vs. Rural. If I was buying a car like this used, I'd be going after the one that lived in a more rural area, followed by a suburb. I'd avoid a city car altogether. Stop and go, in general, is bad for anything mechanical - engine speeds, transmission, brakes, suspension, etc.

Overall, if the car was well maintained, driven as it was designed, not mechanically modded (e.g. tuned for extra boost), and lived in a low wear-and-tear environment, there's a decent chance it'll be a keeper IMHO. But even still, consider that it's a $100k+ car, and while cars depreciate, new parts and labor do NOT. So when (not if) something goes wrong, expect it'll cost you a pretty penny. It's not a 3-series, which in and of itself, isn't a Honda Civic. So, everything is relative.

If you're owning outside of the warranty period, decide whether to self insurance or get a warranty. If a $5k repair is going to break the bank, then buy a warranty.
Appreciate 8
      05-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #27
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
As the old saying goes, there's nothing more expensive than a used German luxury car.
ezmaass, your posts have always been complete, enlightening, and on point. So thanks for posting and keeping the community...a community!

Here is a correction to your above post:
As the old saying goes, there's nothing more expensive than a used German luxury car, EXCEPT A USED ITALIAN CAR!
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #28
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

thankful to hear the 650 has lots of problems so i can sleep better at night, i wanted it so badly over my 640 and i could have gotten it so easily for about 1-2k price difference if that..( CPO'd ) so i forced myself to a 640i since i have a n54 135i i knew what the n55 was about.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #29
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
thankful to hear the 650 has lots of problems so i can sleep better at night, i wanted it so badly over my 640 and i could have gotten it so easily for about 1-2k price difference if that..( CPO'd ) so i forced myself to a 640i since i have a n54 135i i knew what the n55 was about.
If i know i'm settling rather than stretching, that keeps me up at night.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #30
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
ezmaass, your posts have always been complete, enlightening, and on point. So thanks for posting and keeping the community...a community!

Here is a correction to your above post:
As the old saying goes, there's nothing more expensive than a used German luxury car, EXCEPT A USED ITALIAN CAR!
Haha, correction noted! Yes, a used Italian is certainly a few notches up the ladder of pain!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #31
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

You'd be better off purchasing a CLS63 AMG... more reliable, far more powerful, and comparable looks/interior.

Do a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #32
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

None of these issues should deter someone from buying a 650 - it is, after all, one of the very best GT cars in its class. The level of luxury, speed, technology, and drop dead gorgeous looks - it's seriously hard to beat. You really need to step up to something like a Bentley GTC - and the latest, at that - to get something markedly better. Now you're into a $200k+ price range.

Truth be told, even the new 8-series, I feel, doesn't live up to the 6 as a total package - it has the interior quality but not necessarily the style; the same is true of the exterior - good but not gorgeous. The power is the one area it clearly beats the 6, and while I wouldn't turn it down, I never feel like the 6's 445hp leaves me wanting for more. And this is exactly why I'm not trading my 650 for an 850 now.

Just know what you're getting into when you buy it. As I said above, do your homework and buy one that's been treated the right way. Then just be prepared for what MIGHT happen - hope for the best, expect the worst. The 650 is really a nice place to spend time - so enjoy it! There seriously aren't many cars that are THIS complete of a package.

Lastly, it's worth shopping for one with the bells and whistles. All the little stuff adds up - whether B&O, adaptive drive, night vision, or even the active seats. It all adds to the atmosphere of what's a very luxurious and stylish package.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #33
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
None of these issues should deter someone from buying a 650 - it is, after all, one of the very best GT cars in its class. The level of luxury, speed, technology, and drop dead gorgeous looks - it's seriously hard to beat. You really need to step up to something like a Bentley GTC - and the latest, at that - to get something markedly better. Now you're into a $200k+ price range.

Truth be told, even the new 8-series, I feel, doesn't live up to the 6 as a total package - it has the interior quality but not necessarily the style; the same is true of the exterior - good but not gorgeous. The power is the one area it clearly beats the 6, and while I wouldn't turn it down, I never feel like the 6's 445hp leaves me wanting for more. And this is exactly why I'm not trading my 650 for an 850 now.

Just know what you're getting into when you buy it. As I said above, do your homework and buy one that's been treated the right way. Then just be prepared for what MIGHT happen - hope for the best, expect the worst. The 650 is really a nice place to spend time - so enjoy it! There seriously aren't many cars that are THIS complete of a package.

Lastly, it's worth shopping for one with the bells and whistles. All the little stuff adds up - whether B&O, adaptive drive, night vision, or even the active seats. It all adds to the atmosphere of what's a very luxurious and stylish package.
Totally agree with this post. Just took mine on an 2,300 mile road trip with zero issues. And mine has every option you listed. The active seats are weird as heck, but hey, you won't find them in a Honda.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2019, 09:52 PM   #34
bemami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Gran Coupe, 2014 CAyenne

V8 bmws are dangerous. My 550 had 10k in engine repairs. Fortunately it was covered by CPO. I have a 640 F06 off warranty. I wouldn't do the same with a 650.
05 M3 coupe alpine white/ cinnamon - 18k miles!
2011 550xi alpine white on ivory (sold)
2013 640i black sapphire metallic on cinnamon
2014 Cayenne GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #35
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemami View Post
V8 bmws are dangerous. My 550 had 10k in engine repairs. Fortunately it was covered by CPO. I have a 640 F06 off warranty. I wouldn't do the same with a 650.
My CPO ends in 30 days and, true to form, I will not buy an extended warranty. Life is dangerous. First world danger.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #36
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

I have been the very proud owner of a 2015 650 GC for over a year and I find it to be not only one of the most beautiful sedans ever designed, but also a great drivers car built with exceptional quality.

I have had very few issues with my car, and the ones I have had have been very minor. The dealer did tell me that for 2015, BMW had ironed out many, if not all, of the bugs of the 2013 and 2014 models.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #37
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaFFI ///M3 View Post
Wow lol, this thread is definitely not making me want to buy a 650.. Leaning more on the CLS side now.
Consider 640i. Originally wanted a 650i but was horrified by the stories. After thinking more about it, realized that I wanted V8 only for the sound. After test driving it however, the difference in sound between 640 and 650 was minimal inside the car. At that point, 640i was a no-brainer.
The only thing that seems a "normal" thing with BMW's i6 is crappy gaskets that result in oil leaks, especially if you live in a warmer climate.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:07 AM   #38
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Are warranties even offered after 100k miles? If I were to buy one it would be a 2013 model and own for 2-3 years, ~10k miles a year...I found one for very cheap. I need the xDrive for winter and 650 vs 640 are similarly priced. Originally wanted to splurge on an M6 but that's not practical and financially responsible at the moment, but in 2-3 years maybe it will be lol.

I'm mechanically inclined enough to wrench on my own cars but if it's something like all these drivetrain malfunctions I'm reading about the 650i, I def cannot do.

One of my last cars was a V8 S4 that was notorious for timing chain issues...luckily for the 5 years that I owned it from 100k to 130k miles, I never had any major repairs I couldn't do myself. So finding the right one with records/maintenance proof is very important.

CLS AMG looks very tempting...but tough to find with AWD.

How well do 6 series perform in snow without xDrive?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #39
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

I drove a Mercedes CLK year round in Colorado and it was rear wheel drive. It was not very good in snow, and I suspect a 6 series RWD would be the same. My XDrive has been fine. A vast improvement over the CLK.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #40
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
If i know i'm settling rather than stretching, that keeps me up at night.
It was more than that being that i had a car that was much faster than a 650i (135i n54) with the f06 i saw the v8 as just a poor choice to make on a cpo vehicle. Although i paid nearly 5k for a top of the line warranty anyway ( im covered till 6 yr and 150k miles). I also knew the 640 will be an easier sell later on and it will probably be worth more than a similar year spec'd 650i down the road that and paired with the fact that i wanted it for a daily with xdrive for the winter so i can baby my 1 more and build it to be even more raw'r. But ofcourse im a sucker for high powerd cars so i wanted the 650 but then im
more of a screw the 650 kinda guy i much rather just get the m6 for all that if im going in mine as well go all the way.. So i made the smart choice and to be honest i dont regret it yet lol. But who cares I will sell it down the road and get an m8 gran coupe next.

On a side note 6 months with my cpo 2015 f06 640i and this is what has been done by the dealer:
1. Front driver window regulator
2. A/c condensor replaced due to leak
3. Both drivers side door handles replaced due to comfort access acting up
4.Drivers seat leather seat bottom sue to tear
5. A/c radio panel complained to selling dealer about it being worn alot and they bit and replaced it
6. Rear side window shade replaced
7. Front left tie rod
8 Front lower control arm bushings
u
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #41
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

The 650 GC is a much more fun and engaging car to drive than the 640 GC with its much stronger acceleration, and the engine/exhaust note is much more sport oriented.

I also doubt that the 650 will depreciate faster than the 640. If anything, it should depreciate at a slower rate. People who are in the market for these type of cars, which are relatively rare, understand the differences between the turbocharged inline 6 and the twin turbo V8 and want the feel, power and sound one gets from a high performance BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 02:10 AM   #42
kolp
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Looking to buy a 2015 650GC(60k miles, still under CPO warranty) and as I am checking this thread i notice that owners of pre-LCI 650i seem to be having a lot of issues, which is normal I guess, since it has the initial N63 engine.

What about LCI cars with the N63TU(second edition), are they also as unreliable? Have you heard about the engine being replaced, or the burning oil issue still present with the new one?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:21 AM   #43
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolp View Post
Looking to buy a 2015 650GC(60k miles, still under CPO warranty) and as I am checking this thread i notice that owners of pre-LCI 650i seem to be having a lot of issues, which is normal I guess, since it has the initial N63 engine.

What about LCI cars with the N63TU(second edition), are they also as unreliable? Have you heard about the engine being replaced, or the burning oil issue still present with the new one?

Many thanks!
Just by casually reading the threads, my sense is that some early (2013) N63Tu engines burned some oil. What I can tell you for sure is that my 2015 at 35,000 miles burns no oil at all. The measurement gauge in iDrive is graduated in several steps between the MAX and MIN lines, each step representing part of a quart. Mine never moves off the MAX line between oil changes in mostly city driving, and I just got back from a 2,300 mile road trip, most of it at about 90 mph. In addition to not burning oil, I have all the records for the car, and nothing forward of the firewall has ever been done to it. Zero engine issues of any kind.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #44
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So to my understanding:

2012 have pre TU engines and should be avoided

2013 have early TU engines are more reliable but may have some issues

2014 should be good?

Is there any way to verify if your car has TU engine?
Appreciate 0