BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Dfilpo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640XI Gran coupe

New help with upgrades and maintenance -640xi n55

Hello everyone,

I am not new to bimmerpost, however this would be my first official post. As I am a loyal beamer enthusiast who has owned two E46 and have been eagerly reading all of your threads for years with envy.

Now that I am of age and a college graduate my wallet can afford something more luxurious and powerful, if I might say so myself.

I recently purchased a 2017 640xi gran coupe with the n55 engine (zf-8th speed transmission). This car is a dream come true the exterior paint is ruby red metallic , ( a whopping 1,800$ option), digital display and all the whistles and bells that have the neighbors saying ,"wow what a nice car".

The Interior of the vehicle is Opal white merino leather, with contrast stitching on the dash. (The white seats are very worrisome but both the cognac and red interior were sold quickly).

The car has almost every option besides the B-O sound system( mine has hk system) and night vision, which I see is very impractical unless you live in northern latitudes of the globe.

List of packages:
[ZCW] cold weather package
[ZDB] driving assistance plus
[ZEC] executive package
[ZMS] M sport edition
[ZMP] M sport package
ceramic controls and piano finish black trim.

The pictures do more justice, if I might say.

I was not on the market for a v8 because this car will be my daily driver as well I live in the NYC area therefore I would never consider a car with a gas guzzler engine despite the power due to constraints set by traffic.

Nonetheless I know there is a vast foundation of knowledge on the upgrades to the n55 engine, but I want those fellow 6ixers with to share some built knowledge on this thread. My car is still under warranty so besides upgrades to the charge pipe, kidney grilles and air filter I will not change the car as it is perfect in every way in my eyes until a year or so down the line when the thirst for more power engulfs my mind and body.

I do want to keep up with maintenance such as intake valve cleaning, fuel filter and various other scheduled maintenance. My visit to the service department is on October 2nd and I am not sure how it will go.I've read many bad reviews on the dealership. I also paid for external warranty through the dealership that I bought the vehicle at. My main concerns are the front shocks and the button pad in the idrive system (the buttons seem to be sticky).

and guidance on modifications , part numbers and overall experiences with the vehicle would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Mr.Filpo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Is Ruby Red the one that looks almost purple in sunlight? That's really rare even as individual colors go. I like the interior - which was like $3,500 extra.

Night vision is not really for northern latitudes, it's for anywhere when it gets dark. It's not much use in a well-lit city except as a party trick, but the original owner of my car lived above Park City, Utah where it's plenty dark and there are lots of deer. That's what it's really for. Most people who do the "my car has every option but" list forget adaptive drive. A very rare option. I can also see you do not have the "massaging" seats, which you should be happy about because they are so weird that everybody asks how to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
standslanted
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i, X5, 320i

mileage?

what mileage does your car have?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Dfilpo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by standslanted View Post
what mileage does your car have?
Currently 43,000.. I wouldn't say the vehicle is brand new but the previous owner kept it in pretty good condition and from on now I will baby this vehicle and hopefully it will see 200,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Dfilpo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Is Ruby Red the one that looks almost purple in sunlight? That's really rare even as individual colors go. I like the interior - which was like $3,500 extra.

Night vision is not really for northern latitudes, it's for anywhere when it gets dark. It's not much use in a well-lit city except as a party trick, but the original owner of my car lived above Park City, Utah where it's plenty dark and there are lots of deer. That's what it's really for. Most people who do the "my car has every option but" list forget adaptive drive. A very rare option. I can also see you do not have the "massaging" seats, which you should be happy about because they are so weird that everybody asks how to turn it off.
Yeah its almost purple in the sunlight with specks of red.....as well I didnt know there was a option for massaging seats , interesting.

Like you stated night vision isn't really useful for me since I live in NYC which is over exposed to street lights and light pollution from traffic.

and as for the adaptive drive do you know if its air suspension ? If So I thank God my car doesnt have it because I always hear of expensive repairs down the line with that suspension. But I can only imagine the level of comfort.

Thanks for the reply and information.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfilpo View Post
Yeah its almost purple in the sunlight with specks of red.....as well I didnt know there was a option for massaging seats , interesting.

Like you stated night vision isn't really useful for me since I live in NYC which is over exposed to street lights and light pollution from traffic.

and as for the adaptive drive do you know if its air suspension ? If So I thank God my car doesnt have it because I always hear of expensive repairs down the line with that suspension. But I can only imagine the level of comfort.

Thanks for the reply and information.
No, adaptive drive is not air suspension. Most cars have sway bars/anti-roll bars that are solid steel bars that run across the car to attach the right side of the suspension to the left. When you turn, the bars are put under torsional load (twisting) which has the effect of keeping the car more flat in turns and hard curves. Adaptive drive takes it a step further and instead of being a solid steel bar, each sway bar has a motor in the middle that twists the two sections as you corner so it accentuates the anti-roll effect and the car stays very flat. I have it, and my car does stay nice and flat, but I've never driven a 6 without it so I cannot compare.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

As for the "massaging" seats, it's just the seat bottoms. It alternately raises and lowers the cushion under each butt cheek so you sort of tip slowly from side to side. But it's not a quick motion - it does it every 30-40 seconds or so. It is supposed to relieve back stress. It feels like you are being molested.

Last edited by Opie55; 09-16-2020 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:50 AM   #8
standslanted
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i, X5, 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfilpo View Post
Currently 43,000.. I wouldn't say the vehicle is brand new but the previous owner kept it in pretty good condition and from on now I will baby this vehicle and hopefully it will see 200,000 miles.
I had a similar issue with the idrive, where it was sticking sometimes. My original warranty covered the replacement. I also have about 50k miles on it now, and just got my car back from getting the rear diff bushing replaced and front thrust arms, all under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
Dfilpo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by standslanted View Post
I had a similar issue with the idrive, where it was sticking sometimes. My original warranty covered the replacement. I also have about 50k miles on it now, and just got my car back from getting the rear diff bushing replaced and front thrust arms, all under warranty.

How did you manage for the dealership to replace them ?
Appreciate 0