BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-01-2022, 05:02 PM   #1
rmnoonan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328I (July '12 ED)

Ventilated Seat Intake

I've searched around but can't find an answer. Does anyone know where the air intake is for the ventilated seats? I'm really just trying to figure out if I can clean up the fans as I'm getting a musty smell when they turn on.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
The are direct intake fans in that they suck in the air directly around them. Seat base from below the seat and seat back from the cavity between the seat trom and backrest. It's a more cost effective solution that used by, say, Mercedes Benz where the fans are ducted and the intake sits in the backrest.
      02-02-2022, 07:22 AM   #3
rmnoonan
Private First Class
Rep

So no way to clean them or service the fans? You just replace the entire seat? dang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
The are direct intake fans in that they suck in the air directly around them. Seat base from below the seat and seat back from the cavity between the seat trom and backrest. It's a more cost effective solution that used by, say, Mercedes Benz where the fans are ducted and the intake sits in the backrest.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 09:01 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnoonan View Post
So no way to clean them or service the fans? You just replace the entire seat? dang!
I suppose it depends on how ambitious you are. You can remove the upholstery to get to the fans. That's what happens if the seat heater elements need to be replaced. Those fans move so little air I can't picture them stinking up the car. I always forget they exist because, like my MB before this car, they are nearly useless.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #5
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Have you checked to see if there are any old french fries under the seat or perhaps something that needs cleaning under the seat?

L
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 01:57 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

There are sooooo many jokes that can be made in regards to the aroma coming from seats when turning on your ventilated seats (like gaseous smells?).

But as stated above, the fans circulate air through a “permeable” layer in the seats and aren’t really “ducted”. Their design uses thermal dynamic principles (evaporation of perspiration/sweat by way of wicking it away from the surfaces your body contacts the seat) to keep passengers cool versus blowing air on them.

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-02-2022 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 10:06 AM   #7
rmnoonan
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks!

Always learning something new! Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
There are sooooo many jokes that can be made in regards to the aroma coming from seats when turning on your ventilated seats (like gaseous smells?).

But as stated above, the fans circulate air through a “permeable” layer in the seats and aren’t really “ducted”. Their design uses thermal dynamic principles (evaporation of perspiration/sweat by way of wicking it away from the surfaces your body contacts the seat) to keep passengers cool versus blowing air on them.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 06:36 PM   #8
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

I rather like my ventilated seats and mine work very well. I live in Sydney Australia we never really get bone chilling cold so rarely if ever do I feel the need to use heated seats in any of my cars.
The 'cooled' seats though are actually nice, on warm sticky days I find not only do they cool the seats down the air being blown through stops that unpleasant clothes sticking to you that normally happens with leather seats in summer.
As for yours 'smelling musty' .... I would suggest perhaps shampooing the carpets or check for water leaking into the cabin or dampness in the seat itself. Are you able to leave the windows down to air the car for a few days?
The fans draw air from the cabin as described above so the source of the 'mustiness' is perhaps dampness already in the cars carpets or seats.....
Appreciate 0