BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-24-2023, 01:50 PM   #1
travismelo3
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4

Alpina B6 tuning

Hi, so my dad has an Alpina B6 and he’s looking into tuning it. We can’t find any info on what wheel horsepower it has, what kind of forged internals it has or what size turbos it has on it. I know it’s an N63TU, but would he be able to throw a bootmod3 tune on it and put like a stage 3 tune on? Or would it have to be custom tuned? There aren’t any OTS Alpina tunes for sale or any info on it, so if anyone knows about the technical performance aspects that would be appreciated. Thanks!
      12-24-2023, 02:34 PM   #2
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Not sure why you can’t find anything on what HP it has and why would that matter if you’re going to tune it. HP numbers are public and widely published. Google the year and model.

Furthermore, the Alpina is already tuned hence why it’s an Alpina. However, if your dad really wants more power, he could go with a simple Dinan tune for some modest gains.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 06:59 PM   #3
travismelo3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Not sure why you can’t find anything on what HP it has and why would that matter if you’re going to tune it. HP numbers are public and widely published. Google the year and model.

Furthermore, the Alpina is already tuned hence why it’s an Alpina. However, if your dad really wants more power, he could go with a simple Dinan tune for some modest gains.
It says “HP” not wheel horsepower so I don’t know if they mean 600 wheel or crank, it’s a big difference. And Alpinas tune is very conservative. There aren’t any Alpina specific tunes, only 650i ones. We need to know what it has done and how much the internals and turbos they put in can handle, we don’t want to push the thing to 700 wheel of it can only handle like 650, but there’s no info online that says anything about that
      12-25-2023, 11:12 PM   #4
slobo7x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550 F10

If you are trying tune a car with that level of detail, factory wheel hp when it walked off the assembly line will be irrelevant anyway.

Go get a dyno of your dads car to establish a baseline, then move up from there with a reputable tunner. Current state and engine health will determine actually HP numbers.

There are plenty of people that have tuned their alpina engines even more, just go to Facebook and look up some n63 clubs.

Good luck, and you will most definitely get better answers by research then asking on forums.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2023, 09:27 PM   #5
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travismelo3 View Post
Hi, so my dad has an Alpina B6 and he’s looking into tuning it. We can’t find any info on what wheel horsepower it has, what kind of forged internals it has or what size turbos it has on it. I know it’s an N63TU, but would he be able to throw a bootmod3 tune on it and put like a stage 3 tune on? Or would it have to be custom tuned? There aren’t any OTS Alpina tunes for sale or any info on it, so if anyone knows about the technical performance aspects that would be appreciated. Thanks!
Model year?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 08:14 PM   #6
travismelo3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Model year?
It’s a 2018 Alpina B6 xdrive