BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #23
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

And sadly, you are right… "M6 LCI with Competition Package was no longer offered in conjunction with the six-speed manual transmission."

I'm still curious to hear what the National BMW rep tells my contact at the dealership regarding just the 2016 model, but it's not looking too promising.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:19 PM   #24
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
And sadly, you are right… "M6 LCI with Competition Package was no longer offered in conjunction with the six-speed manual transmission."

I'm still curious to hear what the National BMW rep tells my contact at the dealership regarding just the 2016 model, but it's not looking too promising.
Yeah, sorry about that. I looked into it for a while and all I could find for explanation was marketing considerations. I didn't talk to anyone who had first-hand knowledge or see any documents, so take it as a possibility rather than certainty. But the speculation (?) was that they were trying to simplify the performance description for the comp pack. Keep in mind that the coupe and gran coupe are already a little different because of the latter's greater weight. Then there's the comp/non-comp, giving four different 0-60 times. Add in the 6-speed/DCT and you could have as many as 4 different times per body style. Toss in the vert and you'll have 12 different 0-60 figures. I am not sure about the details of this argument, but the broad pattern aligns with BMW's moves away from the 6-Speed in the new M3/4 comp pack. The comp pack and AWD are both unavailable with the manual tranny, even though you can still get it on the base M3/4.

I think it was an unfortunate move on the F06/12/13 platform where BMW already had a manual transmission that could easily handle the comp pack's extra horses and also had worked out every major system for both DCT and 6-speed since they offered that pre-LCI. Anyway, that was their call. They were offering the manual only in North America and I consider it a minor miracle they chose to do so at all. Then they stuck with it through the full run. I am grateful for that.

As discussed in other threads, there were not many changes from year to year or pre/post LCI. There were some iDrive updates, a headlight change, a horsepower bump in the comp pack, and some paint color options, for example. But there was no major change in the drivetrain or anywhere else. This generation M6 is solid and I would not have any hesitation recommending one on either side of the LCI. Other factors are much more important, such as maintenance history, prior abuse, mileage, and any upcoming issues there might be. For instance, if a car has CCBs and needs or will need new ones, that's $10K in parts alone. None of these are about the LCI. Some like the pre-LCI headlights better, and the iDrives are definitely better on the later years, but either way you're getting an absolute beast of a GT rocket.

If you really want the 6-speed and the comp pack you can hunt for pre-LCI. There were two on BaT late last year. A 2014 GC in November and a 2015 vert in December. The hammer prices were $57K and $51K, respectively. Add the fees for a few thousand more. Pretty solid buys in my view, although you'd significantly pay less for the DCT.

Your other obvious choice is to give up on the factory comp pack and go LCI 6-speed. You can get some of the comp pack equipment by swapping parts such as the springs. The comp pack had 10% tighter steering and a reprogrammed differential, which would be harder to replicate. The extra 40 horses would be easily found with even the most conservative tune.

By the time I decided I "needed" an M6 BMW was no longer taking orders. The 6-speed was my sole criterion and they are so rare I wasn't really sure the actually existed beyond rumors until I saw one for sale in NJ. It looked like it had been ridden hard and put away wet, but the second one I saw (eight months later) was a keeper. Super clean, 15K miles with the choose your own adventure gearbox I required. Plus things I had hoped for, such as the CCBs and the B&O.

Or you can go DCT. It's a great gearbox and there are more examples with the comp pack, relatively speaking. It is a rare car in any configuration, to be sure. But if you just have to have the manual transmission...man, I get it. Good luck!
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00
      03-24-2021, 09:30 PM   #25
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Thank you so much for that breakdown.

Indeed the choice between pre-LCI Comp Pack and Post-LCI is tough, but at the same time I'm limited to what is out there, given the rarity of these beasts.

I'm leaning toward the pre-LCI Comp Pack (if I can find it).

I'll never consider a DCT for this beast, ever.

I wonder how difficult it would be to swap in a Pre-LCI 6spd tranny into post LCI Comp Pack car. That would be the dream, and the lower cost of the DCT model may make up for the additional cost of the trans/labor to get it to work.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:52 PM   #26
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep

I forgot to mention the exhaust is also different with the comp pack, but neither that nor the base exhaust is as good as the M-Performance/Akra upgrade (if you can stomach the cost). A lot of aftermarket options, as well.

These cars have endless computer systems. You can't even just change the battery--have to code it in afterward. I am sure there are shops that can handle the electronic back end of a transmission swap, but I would be concerned about ongoing bugs and unexpected complications. It would be a lot easier to improve a 6-speed with comp mods than to convert a DCT comp to 6-speed tranny, I believe.

But...the MT assembly is a $4000 part ($5000 if you don't have a core to exchange). I'd say that puts your conversion idea into the realm of possibility. If you know a good shop it seems worth the time to ask.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 12:18 AM   #27
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

It looks like these trannies alone can be had on eBay for ~$1500; the trim, shift knob, etc., certainly a but more on top, but indeed certainly not a deal breaker financially.

I'm sure there are independent coders out there who could code in the trans, like you said, I need to do some digging.

The one perk I'm somehow most interested in the LCI is the 40hp boost that comes with the comp pack (and of course coupled with the must-have 6spd trans), it's just a stronger base to start with in terms of potential modding of any other HP gains.

Perhaps the M5 section can bring some additional insights in terms of what this swap would entail.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #28
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep

If it's those 40 horses--and remember it's only 40 for LCI; pre-LCI the delta was 15--then you have some options. The closest you could get to a factory-made 6-speed LCI comp pack would be an LCI 6-speed with a Dinan Stage 1 tune, which was a dealer-installed option sold by BMW. According to the Dinan website, their M6 non-comp test mule came with the factory stated 560hp but measured 618. Rated torque of 500 was exceeded by a measured 576. The stage 1 tune brings these figures to 680 and 644, respectively.

With the exception of the minimally less restrictive exhaust, all of the comp pack's extra horses are from software tuning. It's not as if the comp pack came with the Holley double pumper and the regular was fitted with a single barrel needle valve from a weed whacker. From the horsepower perspective, the two versions differ only in software and not hardware.

Having said this, many M6 owners have found traction to be a far more frequent constraint than power. The ongoing discussions of tires attest to this. Depending on how you want to use the car you can decide where to put the money.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      03-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #29
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

While I'm happy I have a comp pack LCI DCT I think if I was in the states that I'd be happy to get an LCI 6MT and put on the Dinan suspension parts. These are totally ballistic anyway and I don't see that the power increase matters.
      03-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #30
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
So here is the BMW M6 registry, which has a lot of interesting details…

https://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=59
Looks like they sold about 15-20 M6 GCs per year with a 6-speed. I’m glad my car was “unpopular.”
Appreciate 3
      03-28-2021, 08:31 PM   #31
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep

I know you were looking for the coupe, but I noticed there is a GC manual available:
https://www.chantillyautosales.com/d...mw-m6/73721623
33k miles, 2014. Looks like it probably has the exec pack, steel brakes, non-comp.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 09:39 PM   #32
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Oooh that's clean. So tempting, but ya looking for an F12 (convertible).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 11:24 AM   #33
atillathetom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bike

I just grabbed a 2018 M6 GC with 6mt. 24K miles. Moonstone over black full leather. Loaded up with CCB, B&O, exec, driver assist, etc. I looked forever to find another 6MT. They would come and go quickly.

The Comp pack thing bugged me a little bit. Not because of the HP bump (Dinan Stage 1 will take care of that if the car isn't fast enough for you already) but the comp pack suspension. To me the extra 10mm makes the car look exceptionally better. I plan to add the Dinan adjustable suspension but I am concerned also about ground clearance. The car seems to scuff the flexible bumper skirt constantly despite taking angles and going slow. It is just a long nose. MPE is going on next week so I dont care about the comp exhaust. All in all, you can replicate the comp pack pretty well AND have 6MT...
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00
      04-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #34
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

There is no 10mm difference in the ride height between the M6 comp and the M6 non comp. the only thing that may differentiate the two is the black exhaust tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #35
atillathetom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM6 View Post
There is no 10mm difference in the ride height between the M6 comp and the M6 non comp. the only thing that may differentiate the two is the black exhaust tips.
you sure?

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947174

I guess reading a little closer that perhaps the M6 didn't include the 10MM. So the comp pack mission on 6MT is a non issue for me if that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #36
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
What about carbon fibre roof as standard on M6 GC Comp ?
      04-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #37
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
What about carbon fibre roof as standard on M6 GC Comp ?
And 20 inch wheel as standard on the Comp?
      04-16-2021, 11:49 PM   #38
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

CF roof is standard on all F series M6s (apart from the convertible ofc). The comp pack offers 2 types of 20" as standard -

M Double Spoke (Style 433M)
20x9.5 Front, 20x10.0 Rear

and
M Double Spoke (Stle 601M)
20x9.5 Front, 20x10.5 Rear
which are unique to comp pack
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 12:01 AM   #39
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Just to put to rest any last confusion about the competition package, you can read the info from BMW directly:

Pre-LCI Brochure
https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes...0M6GT_2014.pdf
https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes...%20M6_2014.pdf

For those who crave even higher performance from The Ultimate Driving
Machine,® the BMW M6 Competition Package brings elevated power,
precision and conviction to every stretch of road.
The potent output of the M TwinPower Turbo V-8 engine has been
increased to 575 hp for the ultimate adrenaline kick – and, in the M6 Coupe,
a 0.1-second shorter 0-60 time. BMW M engineers achieved this 15-hp
bump by raising the charge pressure in the upper rev range. This added
power, channeled through the modified sport exhaust system, emits
a sound to thrill your driving soul. The suspension has been reengineered to adjust the damping forces and stabilization levels to
support sportier driving.
The characteristics of the Dynamic Damper Control system have been
adapted to handle the increased dynamics, with M Dynamic Mode
(MDM) settings further defi ned. Steering is even more direct while
providing authentic feedback from the road; the steering ratio, revised
by 10 percent, ensures exceptionally sharp response to every movement
of the wheel. Outside, the M6 with Competition Package is marked by
exclusive 20" Double Spoke (Style 601M) bi-color M light alloy wheels
and purposeful-looking Black Chrome quad tailpipes.

LCI Brochure
https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes...%20M6_2018.pdf

20-inch Double Spoke wheels (Style 601M)
(options available)
Performance upgrade (+40 hp)
Enhanced sport suspension/damper application
M Dynamic Mode
Enhanced/more-direct Steering
Sport exhaust with black chrome tailpipes
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2021, 05:07 AM   #40
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank MMMMGC6

I never drove the non Comp. For those that I have experienced both:

Did the suspension and steering 'upgrades' make real life difference

I like the Sport exhaust that usually comes alive after 4000rpm although a bit more pops on downshifting would have been welcome. Overall the Sport exhaust is good enough for me
      04-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #41
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Comp pack still has that 40HP bump in baseline power, so with a tune will be that much more powerful than non-Comp.

Although at those numbers, I guess it is plenty enough for the street.
Appreciate 0