BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #2641
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Rules of bulk is to just not worry about the excess gain. With that said, if it is bothering you I'd just add in a little cardio following your lifts for a week. After that the weight should have dwindled, then just pick back up where you left off. Long story short if you want to drop the weight work on it over a week span then increase your bulk duration by a week. Shouldn't be overly problematic.

As for the disproportion, like my self, it just sucks haha. Like I mentioned, I don't think mine is really noticeable to anyone but myself. It is still bothersome though. I know I can correct it to an extent, just going to take some time to do so haha. Boils down to muscle/mind connection, ensuring you are working each muscle equally (at least to the best of your ability). Just adding it to the list of goals for myself, can't have too many of those in regards to fitness imo.
Sound advice. I'll start throwing in 15 minutes of cardio at the end of my sessions for a week/week and a half. It's not that I've accumulated a lot of weight, I just know that I'll be putting more on over the next few months in addition to my newly found (again) fat.

I'm sure neither of us are in any kind of danger of someone pointing out that one muscle is bigger than the other. Recently I have started touching the muscle (when possible) I'm working when lifting. Also tend to turn my head and look at the muscle to create that mind/muscle connection. It seems to be working, but hell what do I know.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #2642
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Sound advice. I'll start throwing in 15 minutes of cardio at the end of my sessions for a week/week and a half. It's not that I've accumulated a lot of weight, I just know that I'll be putting more on over the next few months in addition to my newly found (again) fat.

I'm sure neither of us are in any kind of danger of someone pointing out that one muscle is bigger than the other. Recently I have started touching the muscle (when possible) I'm working when lifting. Also tend to turn my head and look at the muscle to create that mind/muscle connection. It seems to be working, but hell what do I know.
The mind/muscle connection is more difficult as first just because you are working with less muscle. As you start to put more on it becomes essential (in my opinion). Goal is to focus on the contraction/extension of the muscle group being worked through the entire movement. You'll notice as you progress that there are numerous areas in one muscle group that you can focus more on (because you have developed them contrary to where you have started). It becomes more difficult when you start throwing in barbell lifts as you are working numerous muscle groups in a single movements - I find this especially to be the case with shoulder presses. It just takes some time to get the hang of. Best way to lift in my opinion because it also reduces the risk of injury due to constant focus.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      11-05-2020, 05:49 AM   #2643
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

i'm finally confidently lifting 135 for barbell shoulder press in my last set - 7-8 reps... been ending leg day with these - since i don't have a designated shoulder day. And the sissy squats are helping activate parts of my quads... i'm using the smith machine, putting my legs fwd w. heels on 25 lbs plates... JP10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #2644
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
i'm finally confidently lifting 135 for barbell shoulder press in my last set - 7-8 reps... been ending leg day with these - since i don't have a designated shoulder day. And the sissy squats are helping activate parts of my quads... i'm using the smith machine, putting my legs fwd w. heels on 25 lbs plates... JP10
Nice weight on the shoulder presses! I'm not sure what I barbell press for shoulders, haven't done them in awhile now that I think about it. I usually can get the 70lb DBs for 7-8ish (seated). I've done the sissy squats on the smith machine before, goal is to keep your shins stagnant. Movement should just be from your knees up, keep your core tight. Close stance leg presses also does wonders for quad development. Set you feet roughly 4-6" apart, and towards the top of the platform. Focus on pushing through you heels, should allow you to squeeze the vastus medialis (tear drop muscle closest to your knee). So better for inner quad development.

Side note, lifted chest this morning. Was solid over all. Every now and again I over extend doing flys and my left shoulder has minor pain. Usually towards the end of my workout, so I called it quits after that. I've tried to push through even just minor things you wouldn't think is an injury before and it isn't worth it haha.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #2645
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I'd never heard of sissy squats and had to look them up. Ugh, just did leg day yesterday and this afternoon is bis/tris. I'll try to do a couple of sets to see how they feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #2646
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Recently I have started touching the muscle (when possible)
Confession thread is over there ->

Right now I'm STILL just doing core/stretches because of WC. Dr. is almost convinced I can at least sit on machines and do upper isolation movements. He said deadlift are out of the question . . .
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      11-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #2647
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice weight on the shoulder presses! I'm not sure what I barbell press for shoulders, haven't done them in awhile now that I think about it. I usually can get the 70lb DBs for 7-8ish (seated). I've done the sissy squats on the smith machine before, goal is to keep your shins stagnant. Movement should just be from your knees up, keep your core tight. Close stance leg presses also does wonders for quad development. Set you feet roughly 4-6" apart, and towards the top of the platform. Focus on pushing through you heels, should allow you to squeeze the vastus medialis (tear drop muscle closest to your knee). So better for inner quad development..
Thanks JP - ya that's pretty much what i've been doing - it's definitely an awesome addition to my routine - did them today - went nearly all
the way down - when you do them do you go heavy or stay on the 10 rep range?

Back n Bi's today - weighted pull-ups - reverse grip cable pull downs ended with 200 lbs for 8 reps, felt solid.

JP - As for the fly's i like to do 2-3 sets incline first then 2-3 sets flat bench - I don't go heavier than 60's it's not needed if you go slow. Then i'll hit the Fly machine and go heavy.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 06:38 AM   #2648
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks JP - ya that's pretty much what i've been doing - it's definitely an awesome addition to my routine - did them today - went nearly all
the way down - when you do them do you go heavy or stay on the 10 rep range?

Back n Bi's today - weighted pull-ups - reverse grip cable pull downs ended with 200 lbs for 8 reps, felt solid.

JP - As for the fly's i like to do 2-3 sets incline first then 2-3 sets flat bench - I don't go heavier than 60's it's not needed if you go slow. Then i'll hit the Fly machine and go heavy.
I usually pair sissy squats with a more heavy excercise, not saying this is the best way, just my preferred way. For instance I'll go heavy using a V-squat machine & pair them with sissy squats in the 10-12 rep range.

Damn you're gettings 60's on your flys, that is very solid. I'd probably tear something lol. I usually max out at 40s-45s. Not saying I couldn't go heavier, but I'm a form nazi. I try to make sure I am getting full extension through the motion - arms no less than 135° - DB will usually stop when they are inline with my chest. Doing so puts a lot of tension on my front delt hence I keep it lighter through that movement. Prefer to do them incline then I'll go right into incline DB squeeze presses to failure, get a mean pump after that.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2020, 10:35 PM   #2649
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Rode 20 miles today in the nice weather, felt great.

Fitbit tells me that calories burned per hour is greater for walking and swimming, compared with biking. Seems strange because average heart rate for each activity is roughly the same.

What do people think about Fitbit's calorie burn data?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #2650
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
If I ride my motorcycle, I get almost as many steps as walking . . .
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      11-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #2651
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Rode 20 miles today in the nice weather, felt great.

Fitbit tells me that calories burned per hour is greater for walking and swimming, compared with biking. Seems strange because average heart rate for each activity is roughly the same.

All data should be dependent on HR. Type of cardio shouldn't play a major factor. Calories burned are calories burned. If you heart rate is greater walking & swimming compared to biking then that would make sense. Although I'd assume your HR would be greater when biking then walking.

Formulas for Determination of Calorie Burn if VO2max is Unknown
Male: ((-55.0969 + (0.6309 x HR) + (0.1988 x W) + (0.2017 x A))/4.184) x 60 x T

Female: ((-20.4022 + (0.4472 x HR) - (0.1263 x W) + (0.074 x A))/4.184) x 60 x T
where

HR = Heart rate (in beats/minute)

W = Weight (in kilograms)

A = Age (in years)

T = Exercise duration time (in hours)

Formulas for Determination of Calorie Burn if VO2max is Known
Male: ((-95.7735 + (0.634 x HR) + (0.404 x VO2max) + (0.394 x W) + (0.271 x A))/4.184) x 60 x T

Female: ((-59.3954 + (0.45 x HR) + (0.380 x VO2max) + (0.103 x W) + (0.274 x A))/4.184) x 60 x T
where

HR = Heart rate (in beats/minute)

VO2max = Maximal oxygen consumption (in mL•kg-1•min-1)

W = Weight (in kilograms)

A = Age (in years)

T = Exercise duration time (in hours)
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      11-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #2652
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Pulled 405 deadlift for couple today just as a test havent done them for most of the year. Felt decent.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #2653
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

^ Beast
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #2654
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

First time INDOORS at the gym yesterday, since La 'Rona. Dr. released me to do low/slow individual muscle isolation. Chest I dropped to just 25lbs each side, 7-second for each rep. THAT was a different type of burn, especially after not lifting for 4 weeks.

Oh, and while we were allowed inside, I still went out to Muscle Beach, in the wind, and mid-50s temps. Oh, the huge manatee!!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #2655
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Legs this morning, did a lighter day since my right knee is bothering me a little bit. Felt pretty solid upon waking up this morning, but didn't want to risk going into an injury.

Been eating an excessive amount at home. Parents visited and left way too many snacks so I need to work my way through them haha. Should have them taken care of by the weekend hopefully. Might start cutting right after Thanksgiving.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #2656
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Right knee still giving me some problems, might have to take an off day or at least not do cardio. Felt fine yesterday, but might've tweaked it on the incline treadmill this morning.

Yesterday was chest day, and today was arms. Feeling full haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #2657
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Had bis/tris yesterday. Did something to my right wrist, so haven't been able to do heavy in a few months. Was doing reverse grip preacher curls with curl bar and damn by bis were dying at the peak.
Did lightweight tris as well since apparently my tennis elbow is back in my right one (entire right arm is trying to give up & I'm only 31), but focused on squeezing the muscle at the end of pull-downs, and that was killer.
Haven't been able to do a real arm day in a couple of weeks, so it was nice to do. Shoulders/Traps on the docket for today
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #2658
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
Had bis/tris yesterday. Did something to my right wrist, so haven't been able to do heavy in a few months. Was doing reverse grip preacher curls with curl bar and damn by bis were dying at the peak.
Did lightweight tris as well since apparently my tennis elbow is back in my right one (entire right arm is trying to give up & I'm only 31), but focused on squeezing the muscle at the end of pull-downs, and that was killer.
Haven't been able to do a real arm day in a couple of weeks, so it was nice to do. Shoulders/Traps on the docket for today
Odd your wrists are giving you trouble. When you're doing your reverse grip curls are you letting your wrists hang at the top of the motion? Try to keep the tops of your hands inline with your forearms. That should relieve the stress to an extent. Shitty you have all of those injuries, hoping I won't be in the same boat when I get there haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #2659
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Cold and rainy here, so back into the pool.

Did 0.8 miles and it felt good. Then a long soak in the spa and a quick hot shower on someone else's nickel. Life is good.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #2660
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Odd your wrists are giving you trouble. When you're doing your reverse grip curls are you letting your wrists hang at the top of the motion? Try to keep the tops of your hands inline with your forearms. That should relieve the stress to an extent. Shitty you have all of those injuries, hoping I won't be in the same boat when I get there haha.
The wrists have been hurting off/on for months now. I've started using a wrap, which I haven't had to do in about 4 years. No, I've still got form when doing the reverse curl and keeping things in line. I just am having to keep the weight way down so that I'm not feeling the pain and/or making it worse.

Part of getting older, man. I've got sports injuries in the knees/ankles and should from rugby. It'll getcha lol

I'm 31, but know I could still beat my 25yr old ass no problem. I was always in good shape, but feel in better shape now, despite everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #2661
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

I hear ya, I try to be a deligent as possible when listening to my body. Any sign of potential injury I'll usually change path to avoid. Currently both of my knees seem to be giving me some issue. Almost as if I am overextending them, which I could see to an extent. I do at least 30 mins of cardio a day. And bulk of my cardio puts excess pressure on my knees, running/incline treadmill/stairmaster. As of now I have switched my regimen up to include cycling (static). Actually enjoying it a solid bit, feels nice in the hips and knees couldn't be happier.

Lifted back on friday, and managed to get into the gym Saturday for shoulders. Although upon arriving at the gym I realized I was in no condition to be there haha (too hungover - not proud of it but it is what it is). Managed to push through a 75min workout, but felt like death afterwards - most likely dehydrated. Took Sunday off to rest as my body is getting beat down like I mentioned above. Was back in there this morning for chest day, good day overall, did a strict DB only workout. Lot of stretching an full range of motion movements, felt great!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #2662
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just returned from Siesta Key, had an awesome vacation there, no gym, just pullups and some light calisthenics, managed to gain 1 pound, so I'm happy at 201 lbs at the moment. Can't wait to tear the gym up tomorrow.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0