BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-17-2019, 02:17 AM   #1
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

M6 GC aftermarket warranty data points

Hi all,

Picked up an F06 GC this week (can't stop staring at it), '14 ZCP 44k miles. I'll post pics next month as it's soon going in for a paint correction, PPF etc

Anyway, I've been on the hunt for aftermarket warranties the whole week, having searched every thread and harassed every warranty company/local dealer worth contacting.

After getting so many quotes I started noting them in a Google sheet, linked here

Hopefully this is a useful ref for people looking for data points. Please note the warranty prices are based heavily on year and mileage, so keep them in mind when comparing for your own vehicle. All dealer quotes are from the DMV area, and AFAIK plus tax.

FYI, I'm coming to the end of my research and am leaning heavily toward the MOPAR warranty (simply because it's manufacturer backed, exclusionary and a very reasonable price). Second choice is "The Mechanic" backed by Assurant, and highly recommended by a local BMW Dealer. Going to negotiate with these final two tomorrow and make a decision.

PS let me know if there are any errors in the sheet, or anything I should add/change.
Appreciate 7
iamvanja167.00
BadSeed158.00
MikeM6148.00
jjasonSU194.00
      11-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC MT

Thanks for sharing this. I am in DC and looked into some of the same options over the past few months. I eventually decided to go with a plan offered by my credit union--it is MRC (Mechanical Repair Coverage), which is marketed by many credit unions. I attach the quote I received showing coverage and deductible options for the Platinum plan (excludes maintenance and consumables but covers everything else). Tax is included. Note that these are specifically for my car, a 2016 M6GC with 16K miles, and the time and distance coverage starts when the policy is issued. (Not when the car entered service.) Opinions surely differ, but I thought the $250 deductible made sense. Good luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6GC, X5M, M3, X7, X5

Thank you for sharing the spreadsheet with detailed warranty information. You can actually buy a MOPAR warranty for an M6?

Did you make a decision?

I see so many horror stories about warranty clam issues that I'm hesitant to purchase one. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I am in DC and looked into some of the same options over the past few months. I eventually decided to go with a plan offered by my credit union--it is MRC (Mechanical Repair Coverage), which is marketed by many credit unions. I attach the quote I received showing coverage and deductible options for the Platinum plan (excludes maintenance and consumables but covers everything else). Tax is included. Note that these are specifically for my car, a 2016 M6GC with 16K miles, and the time and distance coverage starts when the policy is issued. (Not when the car entered service.) Opinions surely differ, but I thought the $250 deductible made sense. Good luck.
That's really interesting - I've not come across MRC before but being offered by a credit union, it'll likely be a more reputable plan with a strong backer. The two credit unions I tried (APGFCU and Skypoint) didn't sell extended warranties or only had the Route66 powertrain plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM6 View Post
Thank you for sharing the spreadsheet with detailed warranty information. You can actually buy a MOPAR warranty for an M6?

Did you make a decision?

I see so many horror stories about warranty clam issues that I'm hesitant to purchase one. Thanks.
Yeah I was just as surprised. I was visiting a detail shop and got to talking with the owner - he told me to forget all others and try and find a MOPAR warranty. You can check their official website here and in the FAQ they specifically mention:

All Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep® , Ram, FIAT® and Alfa Romeo vehicles, and most - but not all - competitive make vehicles are eligible for genuine Mopar® Vehicle Protection. You may purchase a plan for your vehicle by visiting an authorized dealer or calling 1-866-818-9929. If you are interested in Mopar Vehicle Protection for a competitive make, please visit your authorized dealer to inquire about eligibility.

I'm pretty close to a decision, just pending getting the policy wording sent through by my 2 top choices: MOPAR & The Mechanic/Assurant
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

I don't think I saw this in your spreadsheet, but you may also want to check out Ally's protection plans. They were formally the GM Protection Plan and now sell under the Ally name. The policy administrator is Universal Warranty Corp.

They quoted a 4 yr, 48k mi. exclusionary ("Major Guard") at $4,483 for my 2015 M6. 18 mo., 0% interest. I ended up buying it and used it once so far without any issues (replaced a coil pack). My service advisor said he's dealt w them before for other clients and never had problems with repairs being covered. Worth checking out: https://www.ally.com/auto/vehicle-protection/
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
You can check their official website here and in the FAQ they specifically mention:

All Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep® , Ram, FIAT® and Alfa Romeo vehicles, and most - but not all - competitive make vehicles are eligible for genuine Mopar® Vehicle Protection. You may purchase a plan for your vehicle by visiting an authorized dealer or calling 1-866-818-9929. If you are interested in Mopar Vehicle Protection for a competitive make, please visit your authorized dealer to inquire about eligibility.

I'm pretty close to a decision, just pending getting the policy wording sent through by my 2 top choices: MOPAR & The Mechanic/Assurant
Were you able to call and deal directly with MOPAR for the quote or did you have to visit a local Chrysler dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
They quoted a 4 yr, 48k mi. exclusionary ("Major Guard") at $4,483 for my 2015 M6. 18 mo., 0% interest. I ended up buying it and used it once so far without any issues (replaced a coil pack). My service advisor said he's dealt w them before for other clients and never had problems with repairs being covered. Worth checking out: https://www.ally.com/auto/vehicle-protection/
Is the Ally coverage 4yr, 48k mi. from the time your factory warranty coverage expires?

Did Ally cover the full cost of the repair at a BMW dealer?

Did you purchase Ally coverage direct or through a dealer? Website states to get pricing details from your dealer.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
I have Freedom Warranty of America’s policy on my 7 and 6.
I’m actually going to pay for the M6 coverage tomorrow morning.
60 months/125k on speedometer (I’m at 30k so is 95k miles)
The usual plus:
Entertainment system upgrade- screens, modules, amps...
Sensor upgrade - engine, trans, body sensors all covered.
Suspension system upgrade
Enhanced Labor rate upgrade

Have the same policy on the 7.
They’re out of Tennessee.
Can purchase from them but is expensive. I got my 7 through a dealer who uses them for his coverages. I called them and the gal told me it would be a lot less expensive if you go through a dealer. She told me to call him and ask if he’d sell a policy. I didn’t know that could done. My guy is a stand up guy, and sold me the same premium policy without even buying a car from him.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
^and a 100 $ deductible.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Quote:
Is the Ally coverage 4yr, 48k mi. from the time your factory warranty coverage expires?

Did Ally cover the full cost of the repair at a BMW dealer?

Did you purchase Ally coverage direct or through a dealer? Website states to get pricing details from your dealer.

Thanks.
4 yrs/48k mi. from the date of warranty purchase (I bought it wren I was under warranty and had a month left of factory coverage). Ally covered the full cost of the repair that was done at a BMW dealer, less a $100 deductible.

I bought it directly from calling Ally, but if you google there are probably a few dealers that will sell direct over the phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
I don't think I saw this in your spreadsheet, but you may also want to check out Ally's protection plans. They were formally the GM Protection Plan and now sell under the Ally name. The policy administrator is Universal Warranty Corp.

I definitely had Ally on my list - I can't find the details now but I'm almost certain they said they couldn't cover me when I reached out! That's an excellent price btw

Quote:
Were you able to call and deal directly with MOPAR for the quote or did you have to visit a local Chrysler dealer?
I did try call MOPAR directly but they referred me to their website which wasn't too helpful. The quote I got was through working with the dealer
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #12
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update - had to make a decision quickly as am heading out of town for some time, so I ended up going with The Mechanic (Assurant) warranty offered by BMW Alexandria.

Deal was $7.2k inc taxes for the platinum exclusionary coverage 5yr/60k 100ded, from date of signing. That would take me to 2024/105k miles. It's a massive warranty for a massive price - but the reasons I went for it were:

1 - Dealer has a long history working with them, and have had no issues with things like labor rates and non-OEM parts. Assurant are a big company.
2 - I'm looking primarily at the per-year cost, as virtually all the warranties I've seen are pro-rata refundable. I budgeted $1500 p/y as the max I would spend on a warranty; if it was much more than that I would rather just stash the $1500 away each year and keep my fingers crossed. This deal falls just below that ($1440p/y)
3 - The long terms mean that if I sell the car after a couple years, there will still be significant warranty coverage available for the new buyer, or a nice $3k+ refund for me

The only downside with this was I had to put the whole amount up front to get the discounted price. I have 60 days to change my mind so will keep my options open!
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #13
FastNotCrazy
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F06 M6

I'm in the exact same situation, thanks for sharing! Let us know if you do cancel in 60 days! Who did you speak with at BMW of Alex? Was it Al?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastNotCrazy View Post
I'm in the exact same situation, thanks for sharing! Let us know if you do cancel in 60 days! Who did you speak with at BMW of Alex? Was it Al?
Np! Hopefully people can use the data points for negotiation / ball park figures, as prices are all over the place and it's not an insignificant purchase!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:17 PM   #15
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Great info MMMM6GC. Great work on the data collection; I know that took some effort and I genuinely appreciate the share!
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      01-01-2020, 01:59 AM   #16
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastNotCrazy View Post
At this point I'm 90/10 in favour of keeping this warranty. The only annoyance and reason for wanting to cancel is having to pay the entire amount up front. It was tough to swallow right after the car purchase, and has caused me to delay all the planned work I had for the car, likely for some time.

On the flipside, without calling around yet more warranty companies, the best comparative deal I found was only a couple hundred bucks a year cheaper. I had a great service experience at BMW of Alexandria and intend to use them for all work going forward. The fact that both their service and sales department stand behind the warranty, and that it's backed by Assurant, give me the peace of mind that I'm looking for.

I'll be sure to update this thread with the results of future claims!
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #17
kguflaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

MMMM6GC,

Can you point me to the dealer you purchased your Freedom Warranty from. I just bought a 2017 M6 and I need to get a warranty and have been looking at Freedom.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #18
kguflaw
Registered
Rep

NorthCountryGuy,

Can you point me to the dealer you purchased the Freedom Warranty from. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #19
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguflaw View Post
MMMM6GC,

Can you point me to the dealer you purchased your Freedom Warranty from. I just bought a 2017 M6 and I need to get a warranty and have been looking at Freedom.

Thank you
I bought a warranty called "The Mechanic", backed by Assurant - this was purchased from BMW of Alexandria. Check my original post with a google docs link with warranty quotes and providers.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:45 AM   #20
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Brief update, 8 months after purchasing the warranty.

> All work completed at BMW of Alexandria, where I purchased the warranty. Other dealers can be used, and I may be changing dealers, but that's for another post.

> Had 2 issues with my car:

1 - Trunk pop. The gas struts had failed so the trunk lid didn't open, it just popped an inch. Never even knew this was a problem until I saw some posts about it on here, although always thought it was a bit odd!

2 - Steering wheel vibrator. Another common problem, this was rattling like crazy so I'd turned off most of my driving assistance features.

RE the warranty work - BMW Alexandria got it done right, first time, no issues. Did give me a scare of charging $160 diagnosis fee to test the steering wheel motor and another $160 to test the trunk not popping up - absolute joke. Caveat was, if the warranty covered the claim, this would be included in the coverage.

Estimated Cost
Steering wheel motor assembly $547.80
Trunk shocks / gas pressure props $843.31
Diagnosis fees $320

I'm assuming the above is plus labour, and it excludes shop fees and sales tax.

I'm sure the bill to the warranty company was substantial, but they paid out. My out of pocket cost was $100 deductible.

The Assurant warranty is by no means exclusive to Alexandria, it's effective everywhere in the US. However - and this may be BS - as a long time dealer of the warranty, Alexandria work with them every day to make claims, so the process is a lot smoother than say - going to an independent who may have to spend a lot time going back and forth with Assurant.

All told, it took about 5 days to get the steering wheel and trunk struts work complete. This includes 2 days just finding my coverage after the dealership made typo in the paperwork, diagnosis, getting warranty approval and getting the parts in - I think that's pretty fast.

I would guess that even an indie shop would charge c. $1k for all the above (at least in this area), including labour, tax etc. By that token, my warranty has been 100% worth it. I budgeted c$1.5k per year (see above in this thread) for warranty cost, any more and I would prefer to bank the money in a rainy day fund.

100% recommended as it stands!

Last edited by MMMM6GC; 07-17-2020 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #21
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

So I've been looking into an extended warranty for my 2013 M6 with 32k miles. Your data has been very helpful. My local BMW dealer sent me pricing from Warranty Solutions "five star".

https://www.warrantysolutions.com/do...20brochure.pdf

Pricing seems fairly reasonable:
24 months or 24K miles .. $3653
36 months or 36K miles .. $4728
48 months or 48K miles ..$5711
60 months or 60K miles ..$7764
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #22
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
So I've been looking into an extended warranty for my 2013 M6 with 32k miles. Your data has been very helpful. My local BMW dealer sent me pricing from Warranty Solutions "five star".

https://www.warrantysolutions.com/do...20brochure.pdf

Pricing seems fairly reasonable:
24 months or 24K miles .. $3653
36 months or 36K miles .. $4728
48 months or 48K miles ..$5711
60 months or 60K miles ..$7764
24 months or 24K miles .. $3653 = 1827py
36 months or 36K miles .. $4728 = 1576py
48 months or 48K miles ..$5711 = 1428py
60 months or 60K miles ..$7764 = 1553py

If my quick mafs is correct, the 48mos seems like the best deal. Make sure the coverage is exclusionary and that your chosen dealer have extensive experience of working with that warranty company (check with the SAs). Also check deductible.
Appreciate 0