BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #133
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
wife cooked some honey bbq beef ribs yesterday in her crockpot for 8 hours.

she picked up the rack of ribs and it split in half......

with a side of some alfredo noodle type stuff......

Awww yeah that's the good stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #134
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Cooked Filet Mignon today with thick cut hickory smoked bacon wrapped around. Have a picture on my phone but for some reason my phone is a POS and won't send to my e-mail
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #135
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI

will be cooking a bunch of tandoori chicken, lamb kabobs, and paneer on the grill for xmas. Hey im indian lol. Will take pictures upon completion. We also have a bunch of random side dishes but peppermint chocolate brownies with ice cream and whipped cream will be the perfect dessert

|2010 E90 LCI 328i|Matte Black grilles|35% Ceramic Tint|Black Chrome Varrstoen ES2|ST Coilovers|Mtech Front Bumper|
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #136
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKap08 View Post
will be cooking a bunch of tandoori chicken, lamb kabobs, and paneer on the grill
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #137
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Nah, you're technically correct. I waste more money every year on fine dining than anyone I know but I'll be the first to admit that none of this food is worth as much as restaurants charge for it.

You have to view it as an expensive hobby.

Some people spend thousands of dollars on watches or designer bags or designer clothes or jewelry (which to some extent one might even view as "investments" albeit poor ones, because you can always sell them). I spend thousands of dollars on filets and red wine reductions and potato purees and jus which disappear the moment I consume them It's just what I like.

But honestly if you're going to waste thousands of dollars on fine dining you better have deep, deep pockets, because as you implied the product doesn't really justify the cost. You're just hemorrhaging money that goes towards paying for the preparation (and sometimes the ambience), because food at its core is really quite inexpensive.

I will say though I think it's worth going to a Michelin star caliber restaurant at least once in your life.

The thing about fine dining is an expertly cooked piece of meat isn't really worth $50 or $100 or $200 or whatever restaurants charge for it, but at the same time it's highly unlikely that you'd be able to replicate that kind of preparation at home. You might be able to replicate 50% of it for 1/10 of the cost (i.e. you'll always get much better value cooking at home), but it'll never be quite the same unless you're a classically trained chef.

If I ever get the chance to marry a chef I'm totally going for it
For me its not even really that it's not worth it in the sense that the food doesn't really cost that much. I simply do not enjoy the experience X times more than I would eating at a cheaper place. All of the "expensive" restaurants we have tried also happen to be fancy. I don't do well with fancy. I find the whole thing rather uncomfortable which is completely the opposite of what I want when I'm eating.

If given the choice of having to pay $200 regardless of if I choose a fancy steak house or a hole in the wall Mexican joint, I would still go for the Mexican place.

Also is it just me, but I find the filet to be one of my least favorite cuts of meat. I would much rather have a cheap skirt steak any day.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #138
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
For me its not even really that it's not worth it in the sense that the food doesn't really cost that much. I simply do not enjoy the experience X times more than I would eating at a cheaper place. All of the "expensive" restaurants we have tried also happen to be fancy. I don't do well with fancy. I find the whole thing rather uncomfortable which is completely the opposite of what I want when I'm eating.

If given the choice of having to pay $200 regardless of if I choose a fancy steak house or a hole in the wall Mexican joint, I would still go for the Mexican place.

Also is it just me, but I find the filet to be one of my least favorite cuts of meat. I would much rather have a cheap skirt steak any day.
eating fancy is an acquired taste and money needs to be a non factor, because a lot of cost goes towards service, atmosphere, creativity. Sort of like art.

fk
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #139
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

cooked 18 ribeyes yesterday on the grill over a 3 hour period.

they were amazing....had them marinating for about 11 hours before they were cooked....

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #140
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

i always consider the ingredients and flavor when i eat out. if i'm eating something expensive, it has to taste hella good, and it has to be something hard for me to get or cook at home. i dont have to worry about dressing up because theres literally no dress codes in san francisco restaurants.

so for example, i eat out at a lot of expensive chinese restaurants where they can get live rare rockfish, live king crab, or live australian rock lobsters which are phenomenal btw.

or at a steak house, i'll try to go to a place that has japanese wagyu which i think is totally worth the price. theres a place in san francisco called la folie where you can get 4-5oz of miyazaki wagyu ribeye for a $75 supplement to their menu. that's a pretty good deal imo. filet is also one of my least favorite cuts too. if you like skirt, you should try ribeye cap.

i will admit that a lot of modern upscale restauarants dont put flavor as top priority especially ones that do more molecular gastronomy. i dont really understand why they would make a foam or jelly and call it essence of tomato. why cant they just use a freaking tomato?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #141
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

litos, you certainly eat my friend.

i eat shit in comparison to you. seems like you have a solid meal all the time lol
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #142
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Mmmmm cajun-ish fried turkey.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #143
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
litos, you certainly eat my friend.

i eat shit in comparison to you. seems like you have a solid meal all the time lol
i'll die before you too lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #144
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
made prime rib for christmas.

Appreciate 1
      12-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #145
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List

From the local " In 'N' Out". Being that I'm currently in a 3rd world African country this wasn't too bad. Its got what's basically a flat mozzarella stick on top of the beef and some lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles.
      12-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #146
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
basically a flat mozzarella stick on top of the beef
pfffft - i'm in !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #147
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post

From the local " In 'N' Out". Being that I'm currently in a 3rd world African country this wasn't too bad. Its got what's basically a flat mozzarella stick on top of the beef and some lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles.
perfect drunk food

|2010 E90 LCI 328i|Matte Black grilles|35% Ceramic Tint|Black Chrome Varrstoen ES2|ST Coilovers|Mtech Front Bumper|
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #148
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Went to Truluck's today. Filet (rare) "bernaise royale" style topped with lump crab/shrimp and bernaise sauce over parmesan mashed potatoes.

And then keylime pie for dessert -

That black thing is part of my brother's dessert. Chocolate bread pudding.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #149
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

threw it down mexican style this weekend with a "Discada".

Fajita, t-bone, sausage, potatoes, bell peppers, tomato sauce, onions and tomatoes......

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #150
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Nice! That iron skillet set up is an interesting way to cook!

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #151
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
Nice! That iron skillet set up is an interesting way to cook!
my brother came in for the holidays - he lives 5 hours away.

he brought all of his "cooking equipment" HAHA !!!!

it was freaking amazing.

only think i didn't like was that my damn mom left some bones on the tbone so you had to be careful how hard you bit down.....
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #152
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Litos how much do you spend weekly on food? lol

I'm kind of thinking it's Chipotle burrito dinner for me tonight.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #153
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aM. View Post
Litos how much do you spend weekly on food? lol

I'm kind of thinking it's Chipotle burrito dinner for me tonight.
well, not that much.....

i do normal grocery shopping like any father of two - @ $120-140 a week.

the expensive dinners that i get in this thread are usually paid for by my vendors, but on occasion i take my wife out to dinner and spend almost $200 (once every 3 months or so)...

on the weekends, my dad and brother usually buy the meat that goes on the grill....

....and i only go to fast food places once a week....
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #154
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
my brother came in for the holidays - he lives 5 hours away.

he brought all of his "cooking equipment" HAHA !!!!

it was freaking amazing.

only think i didn't like was that my damn mom left some bones on the tbone so you had to be careful how hard you bit down.....
We use a lot of spices in our culture but the thing is that a lot of the spices aren't directly edible and you're technically supposed to strain the sauce to separate the sauce from the spices once you're done cooking with them.

Well, my mom quite often (read: always) skips the straining step and so when she cooks a bunch of meat I always have to be careful about biting down because if I bite down into one of those tiny spice "bombs" it's over I pretty much have to feel around the sauce and fish out the spices before I bite into the meat.

It's not quite the same as your problem but it's similar so I can definitely relate
Appreciate 0