BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #199
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Another place I've had my eye on is Barley Swine -

http://barleyswine.com/

Look at their open table reservation status. All of the reasonable times are pretty much booked through to the next month!

I've heard pretty good things about barley swine, though, and the chef's been getting a lot of accolades recently.

I'm usually a walk in on a whim kind of guy when it comes to restaurants and I hate reserving things days or weeks or months in advance, which is why I've been putting off visiting barley swine.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #200
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Trulucks @ Arboretum. Justine's Brasserie is good! I've been there a handful of times. I also tried Mettle about a month ago at the behest of a waitress at Siena, coincidentally enough (Mettle prides itself on its fried chicken).

Get the fried milk (at Uchiko)! Speaking of uchiko, I've been meaning to try out Paul Qui's (former chef de cuisine @ uchiko) new restaurant (Qui) ever since he won Top Chef. I've been putting it off because I hear the lines are extraordinarily long and Qui doesn't take many (or any?) reservations. It's all walk-in. I'm waiting for some of the post-top chef hype to die down in hopes of being seated within a reasonable time.

Uchiko/Uchi definitely rate among my top 5 as far as restaurants in Austin go.
If there is one thing I hate, it's hype. I turns me off to the point where I probably couldn't enjoy the food even if I was to be seated. I unfortunately don't do lines, which is why when I wanted to try Franklin's, I bought a ton of it over the phone so I could go pick it up and skip the line!

I think Uchi and Uchiko are fine restaurants, but I don't get the "big deal". I was at Uchi last month and although it was good, I am not jumping up and down once I leave the place. Same goes for Uchiko. Maybe I'm just not a big sushi person. Just the fact Paul Qui was on Top Chef is a turn off for me. I know I know... Terrible, but true. Give me Jeffrey's any day though!

Yes, the fried milk at Uchiko is great. I was there a few months ago and it was excellent. Just like the brussel sprouts were. I'll be eating it again tonight.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #201
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Another place I've had my eye on is Barley Swine -

http://barleyswine.com/

Look at their open table reservation status. All of the reasonable times are pretty much booked through to the next month!

I've heard pretty good things about barley swine, though, and the chef's been getting a lot of accolades recently.

I'm usually a walk in on a whim kind of guy when it comes to restaurants and I hate reserving things days or weeks or months in advance, which is why I've been putting off visiting barley swine.
I walked in there once, mentally broke down at the noise and the odd seating arrangement and walked right back out again. If there was a way I could eat the food (because I heard it's great) without breaking down, I'd be all for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #202
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Primanti Bros for lunch
Attached Images

01-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #203
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Primanti Bros for lunch
dang - looks like raw ground beef HAHA !!!!

looks good....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #204
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
dang - looks like raw ground beef HAHA !!!!

looks good....
Corned beef with fries, onions, and slaw.
      01-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #205
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
had roasted pork shank last night. delicious crispy skin with really tender and tasty meat.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #206
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Molly Schuyler sets world record for eating 72 oz of steak in under 3 minutes!

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #207
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
damn - she's definitely going to get a pink sock from her next poop session......
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #208
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
geoduck from lunch today. definitely my favorite clam.

Last edited by i dunno; 01-11-2014 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #209
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:

I find this so disgusting lol. She's good though..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #210
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
damn - she's definitely going to get a pink sock from her next poop session......
I had to urbandictionary that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
geoduck from lunch today. definitely my favorite clam.
Nice. I've always wanted to try geoduck (To be brutally honest I always thought geoduck was some special kind of duck that yielded super tender or "gooey" meat ). For the top chef fans out there Hung (season 3? 4?) used to use this product all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
I find this so disgusting lol. She's good though..
Yeah the video made me a little nauseous but it's impressive nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #211
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Nice frita for lunch, havent had one in a loong time.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #212
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice. I've always wanted to try geoduck (To be brutally honest I always thought geoduck was some special kind of duck that yielded super tender or "gooey" meat ). For the top chef fans out there Hung (season 3? 4?) used to use this product all the time.
yea i'm honestly not happy about that. with the exposure, the demand might increase and make it cost more
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 02:15 AM   #213
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
when i was in vancouver, i ate at a japanese place that had horse meat. tasted like beef.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #214
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

ok, so I've been put on a diet plan by my best friend.

pretty much consists of good protein and minimal Calories from Fat.

if I eat something, the serving size should be 20 Calories from Fat or less...

obviously, you have to wait 3 or 4 hours in between meals/snacks for it to work properly.

I'm on a diet, but I can still post pics lol.

first picture was taken on Sunday, which was my last day of eating whatever the fuck I wanted - stuffed shrimp, fried pickles, crab balls and hot wings

the second picture was lunch on Monday - beef chuck, veggies, potatoes cooked in red wine

third and 4th picture was lunch on Tuesday - pulled pork with corn tortillas and some Tapatio Hot Sauce lol

last picture was today's lunch - orange chicken with veggies and white rice with no salt.....

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #215
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
ok, so I've been put on a diet plan by my best friend.

pretty much consists of good protein and minimal Calories from Fat.

if I eat something, the serving size should be 20 Calories from Fat or less...

obviously, you have to wait 3 or 4 hours in between meals/snacks for it to work properly.

I'm on a diet, but I can still post pics lol.
looks like youre off to a good start lol. about your diet, i dont like limiting fat intake like that. theres essential fatty acids that we need to get from food. 20 calories from fat is like 2g and that doesnt seem right to me.

this page is a good summary of everything. http://simplesciencefitness.com/

Last edited by i dunno; 01-15-2014 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #216
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
first picture was taken on Sunday, which was my last day of eating whatever the fuck I wanted - stuffed shrimp, fried pickles, crab balls and hot wings

the second picture was lunch on Monday - beef chuck, veggies, potatoes cooked in red wine

third and 4th picture was lunch on Tuesday - pulled pork with corn tortillas and some Tapatio Hot Sauce lol

last picture was today's lunch - orange chicken with veggies and white rice with no salt.....
While I love me a good fried pickle, I have to say your lunches look pretty darn good for being on a diet!

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #217
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
looks like youre off to a good start lol. about your diet, i dont like limiting fat intake like that. theres essential fatty acids that we need to get from food. 20 calories from fat is like 2g and that doesnt seem right to me.

this page is a good summary of everything. http://simplesciencefitness.com/
I know there is much more too it than that, but I'd be lying to you if I told you I knew what I was talking about.

the calories from fat has more to do with snacks and other munchies outside of breakfast, lunch and dinner....

we had to go out and buy basil, thyme, parsley, bay leaves and kosher salt....

all of the ingredients that my wife uses to make food, are fairly healthy...

bought me some of that Kashi Go Lean cereal too - it actually tastes good...

I'm still drinking 2% milk though - been on that for 20 years...

I'm incorporating a ton of fruits and veggies into my plan too...

my "snacks" include almonds, cuties (mandarins), bananas, yogurts, peanuts, fruit mix, etc.....

the main goal of this diet though is to drastically cut down on the calories from fat....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #218
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
While I love me a good fried pickle, I have to say your lunches look pretty darn good for being on a diet!
I owe it all to my wife...

it was her fault that I gained so much weight after we got married, so she's doing her due diligence to see that I start eating healthier....

she ultimately controls what I put in my mouth 90% of the time....

took her about a week to map out all the lunches and dinners that we could eat for the week...

the pulled pork and the orange chicken that you see above, was cooked in the crockpot overnight...

she wakes up early in the morning to prepare the food for us to take - after she's done, she irons my shirt (every single morning) and then we leave for work together...

she's awesome
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #219
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I owe it all to my wife...

it was her fault that I gained so much weight after we got married, so she's doing her due diligence to see that I start eating healthier....

she ultimately controls what I put in my mouth 90% of the time....

took her about a week to map out all the lunches and dinners that we could eat for the week...

the pulled pork and the orange chicken that you see above, was cooked in the crockpot overnight...

she wakes up early in the morning to prepare the food for us to take - after she's done, she irons my shirt (every single morning) and then we leave for work together...

she's awesome
How'd the chicken turn out? I've never actually tried chicken in a crockpot. I'm used to lamb shanks which benefit greatly because they have a bunch of that knuckle collagen that melts into a rich, fatty, gelatinous broth that mixes in with the sauce.

I've been trying to eat more lean meats (i.e. chicken breasts) and I end up essentially pan frying them in some olive oil and they always turn out tough and bleh. I've also tried roasted chicken (just straight up oven roasting) and it turns out tough and dry.

Does chicken benefit from crock pot cooking (like, is the meat super tender)? I might try that next...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #220
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
How'd the chicken turn out? I've never actually tried chicken in a crockpot. I'm used to lamb shanks which benefit greatly because they have a bunch of that knuckle collagen that melts into a rich, fatty, gelatinous broth that mixes in with the sauce.

I've been trying to eat more lean meats (i.e. chicken breasts) and I end up essentially pan frying them in some olive oil and they always turn out tough and bleh. I've also tried roasted chicken (just straight up oven roasting) and it turns out tough and dry.

Does chicken benefit from crock pot cooking (like, is the meat super tender)? I might try that next...
just get the rotisserie chickens from costco. theyre always juicy and delicious lol. chicken breasts are always tricky but yes, they will work in a crockpot on low heat settings. if you wanna be fancy sous vide is also very useful but takes forever.
Appreciate 0