BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #23
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
I think the vast majority just don't care. It does raise a question, if no one is working and no one is watching the Olympics, then what is everyone doing?
IMO, the decline in ratings is more due to the fact that the more popular events are happing at prime time Japan Time, which is morning for most of the USA and the popularity and associability of media/social media.

By the time the main events come on in primetime USA, ive already heard/seen what happens a couple dozen times through the news and social media. Leaves you with no desire to watch the events.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #24
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

It's also terrible watching with no one in the stands...makes it feel more like a high school event to me
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #25
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
IMO, the decline in ratings is more due to the fact that the more popular events are happing at prime time Japan Time, which is morning for most of the USA and the popularity and associability of media/social media.

By the time the main events come on in primetime USA, ive already heard/seen what happens a couple dozen times through the news and social media. Leaves you with no desire to watch the events.
That's what the NBC execs have said. So, maybe. But isn't that the way it's been for a few of the last Olympics? Beijing, Sydney, Seoul, London, Athens, Barcelona--the ones I can remember.

Rio was the last i can remember that was close to US time Zones.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #26
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
That's what the NBC execs have said. So, maybe. But isn't that the way it's been for a few of the last Olympics? Beijing, Sydney, Seoul, London, Athens, Barcelona--the ones I can remember.

Rio was the last i can remember that was close to US time Zones.
over the last 5 years, more and more people get their highlights/news off social media. especially with how big tiktok has gotten, you can get all the highlights from the games while just scrolling through.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #27
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

They even had the Olympics this year?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #28
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I've never been into the olympics or sports watching in general. I just don't see the appeal in it other than the feeling that you are part of a group like team USA or whatever team your a fan of in other sports (even though you really had 0% to do with the team winning or losing and in the case of sports most of the people in that team aren't even from your state or what not).

Personally I just don't care about someone running around in a circle or jumping up and down. Watching a bunch of grown men get paid millions of dollars to throw a ball around just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe it's BECAUSE they are so good that I don't care. Maybe it's like American Idol. I have never watched a single episode... but I LOVE watching all the reject clips on youtube. Maybe if they had some fat guy trying to do a pole vault I would watch.
100% my perspective my whole life…. Then suddenly I got into f1…
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #29
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
They even had the Olympics this year?
*yawn*
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 05:47 PM   #30
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BWM E92 LCI+23 other cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I just feel like the most pathetic waste of oxygen on the planet.
At least you know your place in this world!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #31
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn-BMW View Post
At least you know your place in this world!
What do you mean?

Interesting mix of general disdain towards the Olympics here...fair enough!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:39 PM   #32
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
I think the vast majority just don't care. It does raise a question, if no one is working and no one is watching the Olympics, then what is everyone doing?

Bingo. Most of the events I want to see are happening at like 2-5am PST. I'm not waking up to watch. By the time I'm up all the media has covered the results. I'm not a fan of watching reruns especially once I know the results but I've watched a few reruns of events I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #33
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
What do you mean?

Interesting mix of general disdain towards the Olympics here...fair enough!
I love the Orympics! See what I did there?
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 02:25 AM   #34
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

I get your point but I have an opposite feeling about it. These Olympians are in rarefied air. Do you remember how we used to look up to the best athlete in our high school? Well, just to be on an Olympic team is like being the best athlete in 1,000 high schools.

We have almost 7.9 billion people on this planet. There are 11,090 Olympic athletes at the 2020 games. Just to be there makes you 1 in 700,000, and that's not winning any medals. To win a medal, you have to be one in 7 million. To win a gold medal, you have to be one in 21 million.

Just based on these numbers, to feel badly that you cannot compare is not logical.

Using a car analogy, it would like thinking my BMW is not worthy because it's not a McLaren 720s. I'm in awe of supercars, but it doesn't make my BMW any less special to me just because supercars exist.
Appreciate 3
TiMSport12796.50
      08-06-2021, 06:36 AM   #35
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

^^ Very well said sygazelle , I agree.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11345.50
      08-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #36
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

I’ve stayed away from it. It’s the most woke Olympics in history. It has even surpassed the NFL in wokeness and I would’ve thought that to be impossible. The incident that closed it for me that kept me away 100% it’s all the excuses being made for quitting. I guess this is the new generation. Congratulating or celebrating quitting has just never been a part of my generation. I’ll leave its acceptability to the younger people. Hopefully they learn sooner or later at nothing good comes from it.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60013.50
      08-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #37
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Right here.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #38
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I’ve stayed away from it. It’s the most woke Olympics in history. It has even surpassed the NFL in wokeness and I would’ve thought that to be impossible. The incident that closed it for me that kept me away 100% it’s all the excuses being made for quitting. I guess this is the new generation. Congratulating or celebrating quitting has just never been a part of my generation. I’ll leave its acceptability to the younger people. Hopefully they learn sooner or later at nothing good comes from it.
So you figure a couple of athletes (actually just 1 high profile athlete to my count) among thousands quit for whatever reason they have, that makes the entire games woke? I doubt most others feel that way when they've busted their asses to get where they are and especially for those that medaled in their respective sport.

Last edited by TiMSport; 08-06-2021 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 09:08 AM   #39
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I respect the Olympians and the work they put in, but I've never been a dedicated watcher of any sport. Watching sports is boring to me, I would much rather be participating.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 09:13 AM   #40
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I get your point but I have an opposite feeling about it. These Olympians are in rarefied air. Do you remember how we used to look up to the best athlete in our high school? Well, just to be on an Olympic team is like being the best athlete in 1,000 high schools.

We have almost 7.9 billion people on this planet. There are 11,090 Olympic athletes at the 2020 games. Just to be there makes you 1 in 700,000, and that's not winning any medals. To win a medal, you have to be one in 7 million. To win a gold medal, you have to be one in 21 million.
Maybe you have to be an athlete to appreciate that.

People curing cancer should be celebrated, given medals and put on a pedestal. Whoever invented AC should win all the gold medals for life. A dude who throws a spear further than anyone else... sorry... I just don't care. Maybe 12,000 years ago I would have.
Appreciate 1
Reborn_298.00
      08-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #41
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Maybe you have to be an athlete to appreciate that.

People curing cancer should be celebrated, given medals and put on a pedestal. Whoever invented AC should win all the gold medals for life. A dude who throws a spear further than anyone else... sorry... I just don't care. Maybe 12,000 years ago I would have.
My post was simply sharing my perspective. The OP asked a question and I responded. If you have another point of view, that's great.

I'm sure being an athlete affects my perspective. But, admiring Olympic achievement doesn't take away in any way my admiration for other types of achievement in our society. Personally, I don't have any kind of limit on admiration.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #42
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
She didn’t quit. If you’ve ever competed in a dangerous sport, at a high level, you would understand. The mental and physical stress at that level is off the charts. She could kill herself, if she didn’t know when not to compete. For me, I had to learn the hard way and I almost lost my life because of it. And now, I get to go have another surgery. She’s not competing for you. I’d even go as far to say she’s not competing for the USA. She’s competing for herself and her team. The best thing for herself and for the team was not to compete, until she reached a better place.

Last edited by Cyn-BMW; 08-06-2021 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #43
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn-BMW View Post
She didn’t quit. If you’ve ever competed in a dangerous sport, at a high level, you would understand. The mental and physical stress at that level is off the charts. She could kill herself, if she didn’t know when not to compete. For me, I had to learn the hard way and I almost lost my life because of it. She’s not competing for you. I’d even go as far to say she’s not competing for the USA. She’s competing for herself and her team. The best thing for herself and for the team was not to compete, until she reached a better place.
Yeah k

Have a great day
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #44
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
So you figure a couple of athletes (actually just 1 high profile athlete to my count) among thousands quit for whatever reason they have, that makes the entire games woke? I doubt most others feel that way when they've busted their asses to get where they are and especially for those that medaled in their respective sport.
Lots more to it then that. You must know that.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60013.50