BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #45
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Will active sound be standard on my car? It's not listed in the VIN decoder
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #46
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

yes its a standard love it or loath it feature on the 640d and newer 6pots diesels, i personally like it, my wives 530d F10 has no active sound and it shows.

By the way i think the active sound was experience was updated on the later cars, they also have a larger bore exhaust that maybe part of the set up, anyway enjoy it !!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #47
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
yes its a standard love it or loath it feature on the 640d and newer 6pots diesels, i personally like it, my wives 530d F10 has no active sound and it shows
Thats interesting, I thought it needed S9W1A to be added to the vehicle order, but if not then great, I'd like to experience it, from what I've heard it sounds quite good.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #48
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
That's good then
Have you used the connected drive app and M laptimer before?
only the connected drive app, not the laptimer
You will have to give it a try. See what 0-60 you can do
      01-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #49
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
M6 active sound
Mirrors fold nearly instantly when locking
Dials to white all the time
Angel eyes full brightness
Dvd in motion
Reverse cam at anytime
Sport configuration in menu
Update on gearbox and traction
Launch control activated
LED's and angel eyes come on when u unlock
Rear lights on as running lights

I think there were a few other bits but I can't think of what they were off the top of my head lol
Whats the active m6 sound like, had no idea that could be done, let alone via remote
I really like it.
It gives a nice burble especially when in sport plus giving it the beans.

Yes it can all be done remotely which is handy for those that don't want to try and code themselves etc
      01-17-2017, 06:50 AM   #50
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I really like it.

Yes it can all be done remotely which is handy for those that don't want to try and code themselves etc
What is the standard sound configured as?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #51
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I really like it.

What is the standard sound configured as?
I have no idea sorry. I just let him take over my computer and he did the rest lol
      01-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #52
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

does active sound affect the exterior noise too or just the cabin noise?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #53
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

sadly it will still sound like a tractor on the outside, albeit a good looking one.

I dont understand the BMW strategy here, its very possible to have diesels sound fruity, my neighbour has an Audi A7 3.0tdi, the engine note externally sounds amazing, a sort of high pitched whine that gets louder the faster you go.

Or you can go for an exhaust upgrade for about £400.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #54
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thats interesting, I thought it needed S9W1A to be added to the vehicle order, but if not then great, I'd like to experience it, from what I've heard it sounds quite good.
The module sits in the rear boot lining, my 2013 640d had it and it was an early car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #55
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
sadly it will still sound like a tractor on the outside, albeit a good looking one.

I dont understand the BMW strategy here, its very possible to have diesels sound fruity, my neighbour has an Audi A7 3.0tdi, the engine note externally sounds amazing, a sort of high pitched whine that gets louder the faster you go.

I did think about an exhaust upgrade, nothing over the top, just to get rid of that tractor note. But it's not top of my priority list! swapping the aluminium trim will be though, as well as the new NBT EVO 6 upgrade that will be available next month. Just need to find someone who wants aluminium for their wood!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #56
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree that trim really lets it down, flat or brushed aluminium is OK but that textured effect is not for me. I guess you may find someone that will trade the polar dark wood for the metal one, or you can get it wrapped in piano black

Also another thing to consider, this will show my geekiness, if your car is an AUC car, tell the dealer that your heater unit is playing up i.e. dials not responding when you twist them, odds on the unit will will be replaced under warranty with a newer version that has a very nice piano finish rather than that matt black, trust me thus will lift the centre section, i had it done on my 6
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #57
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I agree that trim really lets it down, flat or brushed aluminium is OK but that textured effect is not for me. I guess you may find someone that will trade the polar dark wood for the metal one, or you can get it wrapped in piano black

Also another thing to consider, this will show my geekiness, if your car is an AUC car, tell the dealer that your heater unit is playing up i.e. dials not responding when you twist them, odds on the unit will will be replaced under warranty with a newer version that has a very nice piano finish rather than that matt black, trust me thus will lift the centre section, i had it done on my 6
It's funny, I had the same textured trim in my F10 and it didn't bother me at all, somehow in the GC it doesn't look the same. I have been looking into wrapping but I wouldn't go piano black, too hard to keep looking good IMO. I like some of the modern wood trims that are around at the moment, like the satin wood black trim in the Mercedes recent models, but I can't find a wrap like that.

Which parts of the heater controls are piano black? Mine's not AUC but if it looks ok I might be willing to find one myself and fit it.

Edit: ok I have found a picture, I see what you mean. It seems it would work better with the rest of the trim in Piano Black though?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #58
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

the heater panel itself is in piano black, i have piano black in m6, even wiping it with a lint free cloth damages it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #59
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
the heater panel itself is in piano black, i have piano black in m6, even wiping it with a lint free cloth damages it.
Yeah that's my worry. The piano black trim does look better than the aluminium though, I would rather the black ash but finding any complete sets anywhere is harder than it seems
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #60
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I personally think the 640d doesn't sound tractor like at all. The best sounding diesel they have brought out imo.

You can buy a add on contraption that beefs up the sound like the Audi uses but it's expensive. The active sound doesn't sound bad at all either and has fooled many that have been in my car.
      01-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #61
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I personally think the 640d doesn't sound tractor like at all. The best sounding diesel they have brought out imo.

You can buy a add on contraption that beefs up the sound like the Audi uses but it's expensive. The active sound doesn't sound bad at all either and has fooled many that have been in my car.
Official contraption or aftermarket? Not seriously considering it but be good to see it in action.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #62
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Official contraption or aftermarket? Not seriously considering it but be good to see it in action.
It was something like this.

01-18-2017, 03:12 AM   #63
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Agree active sound is good, external engine note for a diesel is OK, though in my view no different from any other 6pot diesel
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #64
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

im considering doing a NBT EVO ID6 retrofit from Germaniks, is there anyone on the forum who can help with the install? I've done similar before but this seems more complicated
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #65
Kenders
Rep
Drives: 640d GC

Quote:
im considering doing a NBT EVO ID6 retrofit from Germaniks, is there anyone on the forum who can help with the install? I've done similar before but this seems more complicated
That looks very good, please keep us updated as to how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #66
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

You might or might not be interested to know that I cancelled my original order, and ordered a different one from BMW direct with full AUC. The price was more but made up slightly by the fact I didn't have to buy a warranty in the first year. Here's the spec

Deep Sea Blue Metallic
Sunroof
Comfort Access
Soft Close Doors
Comfort Seats
Full Digital display
HUD
Heated Steering Wheel
Harman/Kardon
High Beam Assist
Reversing Camera

Much happier with the spec, it's 100% of what I wanted originally and more. £27.5k

Last edited by 325_bucks; 01-18-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0