Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650 Xi

Maintenance items

Hi.

Would you know if and when the following items have to be replaced:

- Coolant
- Fuel filter
- Brake fluid

The reason I am asking is that two of my local BMW dealers told me this week that BMW does not recommend replacing the transmission fluid as part of the maintenance schedule for my car even though some sites say it is necessary.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLannister View Post
Hi.

- Coolant
- Fuel filter
- Brake fluid

The reason I am asking is that two of my local BMW dealers told me this week that BMW does not recommend replacing the transmission fluid as part of the maintenance schedule for my car even though some sites say it is necessary.

Thanks
You have no fuel filter except as an integral part of the pump in the fuel tank. It does not seem to be a regularly replaced item. I won't personally worry about mine unless I still own it at 100k miles, which would be about 15 years from now. Brake fluid needs to be done on any car because it absorbs moisture which causes two issues - corrosion of brake internal parts and it can boil under heavy braking. Every two years is the rule of thumb, although you can buy a tool to read the moisture level. But even at a dealer it's a pretty cheap job so I'd just do it every two years if I were you. BTW, that is one of the things your iDrive system reminds you to do. Coolant is more or less lifetime as well. If I still own my car at high miles I'd probably flush it for something to do some afternoon, but not before. It is not on my radar screen yet at 40k miles. As for the tranny, the maker, ZF, recommends a change at 60k miles. Do that. Several makers say they are lifetime now. It's nonsense. MB used to say that on a car I owned, then went to every 39k on the same car.
Appreciate 1
JBF650111.00
      10-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
F06 Russell
Rep
Drives: 16 F06 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hi.

- Coolant
- Fuel filter
- Brake fluid

Thanks
I just did my transmission service at 75k which is early even for ZF but it runs great. Many pan screws were rusted and fluid was black. It took me 2.5 hours and a lift. I recommend it although it's a hard job. You will need a way to get fluid into the transmission due to a tight bend. Hope this helps you.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
LisaLannister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650 Xi

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Did you change the filter as well?

Also, I e-mailed ZF and this is their response:

"ZF automatic transmissions are generally filled with lifetime oil. However, due to the many factors influencing the service life of transmissions in individual operation, ZF recommends an oil change after 150,000 km (93K miles) for its transmissions. In operating conditions with high temperatures and loads, or with unknown vehicle use in the past, it can make sense to change the transmission oil at shorter intervals."
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
DaveS86
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I

93k is alot of miles....I don't thinks that's great tbh. Maybe 50K
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:

"ZF automatic transmissions are generally filled with lifetime oil. However, due to the many factors influencing the service life of transmissions in individual operation, ZF recommends an oil change after 150,000 km (93K miles) for its transmissions. In operating conditions with high temperatures and loads, or with unknown vehicle use in the past, it can make sense to change the transmission oil at shorter intervals."
That's interesting about ZF, because there are a number of threads about ZF recommending a change. I still don't know what lifetime fluid means exactly. The fluid properties may be fine, but it gets filled with crap.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
F06 Russell
Rep
Drives: 16 F06 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:

Here is the kit I used, I have 2 extra liters of fluid after filling, I did replace the filter:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...RoCzZMQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 0