11-19-2020, 12:58 AM   #1
dtm1
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e92 325

About to purchase 6gc- child seat help!

Hi All,
I'm about to purchase a 6gc (and will need to get back to the seller very soon) but have concerns about child seats. My kid is 3 years old and I've heard, can seats don't really fit properly due to the rear integrated headrest.
Question is, is it possible to fit in the middle seat? Is it possible? I am concerned that firstly it's not going to fit and secondly even if it fits, will there be ample room to sit adults in the left right seats?
I'm certainly in love with the styling of the 6gc, but of it doesn't work I'll have to pass.

Also any owners can comment living with the 6gc as a family car is?

Many thanks.

Last edited by dtm1; 11-19-2020 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: Clearer description on title
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:19 AM   #2
easty027
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640D MSPORT

Hi

it might not give you the answer as i am not sure how the shape of the rear seats in the GC differ from those in the coupe?. However, i have both my kids in seats (one booster seat & one a full car seat using isofix - ages 3 & 6), and in fact the kids love it far more than my previous car with was a 4 door CLS. I would have thought if the seats fit in a coupe you shouldnt have any issues with a GC, given its more family friendly.
      11-19-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
dtm1
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e92 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by easty027 View Post
Hi

it might not give you the answer as i am not sure how the shape of the rear seats in the GC differ from those in the coupe?. However, i have both my kids in seats (one booster seat & one a full car seat using isofix - ages 3 & 6), and in fact the kids love it far more than my previous car with was a 4 door CLS. I would have thought if the seats fit in a coupe you shouldnt have any issues with a GC, given its more family friendly.

Thanks for the reply. May I know if it's left right seat configuration, or did uou utilize the middle seat?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:34 AM   #4
easty027
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640D MSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. May I know if it's left right seat configuration, or did uou utilize the middle seat?
The middle seat cannot be used in the coupe, not sure about the GC. I have had both seats in both sides at some point. As the youngest child needs a car journey to get to pre-school, he is behind the passenger so he can have a little more leg space when im driving.
      11-19-2020, 06:53 AM   #5
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm1 View Post
Hi All,
I'm about to purchase a 6gc (and will need to get back to the seller very soon) but have concerns about child seats. My kid is 3 years old and I've heard, can seats don't really fit properly due to the rear integrated headrest.
Question is, is it possible to fit in the middle seat? Is it possible? I am concerned that firstly it's not going to fit and secondly even if it fits, will there be ample room to sit adults in the left right seats?
I'm certainly in love with the styling of the 6gc, but of it doesn't work I'll have to pass.

Also any owners can comment living with the 6gc as a family car is?

Many thanks.
Yes, I have a GC and a 3yr. old and the seat fits perfect. The only downside is when he is riding the passenger seat is pushed all the way forward. Leg room for him and don't really want him kicking the back of the seat. Other than that it works! Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

The middle isn't usable because the elegant center console goes all the way to the back seats. Lots of switchgear / buttons at the rear seat end of the console too... Put a child there and they'll smash the screen / buttons in no time. Middle is a no go.

I've had no trouble with upright car seats and booster seats in my GC. Car seats and boosters are often wider than the part of the GC seat you're trying to put it on... I put folded up towels under the car seats to avoid getting depressions in the leather.

It's worked out great... Would do it again...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPost View Post
The middle isn't usable ... Lots of switchgear / buttons at the rear seat end of the console too... Put a child there and they'll smash the screen / buttons in no time. Middle is a no go...
LOL...I remember well seeing smashed dials and scratched screens when I was shopping for my GC. In fact, I would hope quickly to pics of the rear seat IHKA control panel to see what condition it was in. If scratched and marred...I'd move on without investing any more time considering it for purchase.

Example:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #8
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Take your car seat and try it and tell the seller why your concerned. My f06 has been used as the luxury family carrier for the last 4 years. It works perfectly and my kids have gone from rear facing to booster seats to just the car seat.

You are correct, the headrest does get in the way as they get taller. For my 5 year old, he's in a cheaper Britax seat that flexes fine to accommodate ok. More expensive seats didn't fit as well. From the perspective of my little boy, he's happy in the seat and would hate me seeking the car.

The only way you'll be able to decide is to put the seat in one and decide for yourself.

At 3 years old the car seat is likely to be low enough to be below the head rest.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F06msportmia View Post
Yes, I have a GC and a 3yr. old and the seat fits perfect. The only downside is when he is riding the passenger seat is pushed all the way forward. Leg room for him and don't really want him kicking the back of the seat. Other than that it works! Good luck
x2 this would be my reply also

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #10
re2gie01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 640i GC

Consider trunk space. If this is the family car, luggage, stroller, etc can get pretty tight pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 09:08 AM   #11
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisdog View Post
Take your car seat and try it[...].
This is really the best advice. Or, as it is surely possible to find seats that fit the car & the kids, just take the car to one of those Mothercare/Kids Superstore sorta places and they help you fit various seats to find what works best for you. We did this with our F12 and I was really surprised how it improved the fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by re2gie01 View Post
Consider trunk space. If this is the family car, luggage, stroller, etc can get pretty tight pretty quickly.
With an F06, there will be plenty of space. We max out an F12 and take everything & the kitchen sink on seaside holidays...

We have done a lot of travelling with the F12 with a very large pram (UppaBaby Vista with 2 seats + boogeyboard), lots of luggage (soft duffels work great for cramming them in around the pram), soft coolers, boxes of wine, all sorts... Then in the cabin, we have an isofix style base and reclining seat for the 20month old situated behind the passenger side and a seatbelt-secured Nania type behind the driver's seat for a 4.5yr old. I'm tall and big, so my seat is nearly the whole way back when driving. $4.5 yr old has plenty of room. The little one on the other side also has plenty of room even with me always forcing my wife to put her seat "all the way down and back... where you belong, woman" (she hates that, haha. sometimes i get smacked.) just for my own visibility preference while driving.

Rarely, we've had to put a small bag or a soft cooler in the passenger footwell... but wifey is small and this doesn't bother her legroom at all. The car is very densely packed and noticeably weighed down. I'm often impressed with how much we cram into it... and that is without flipping back the convertible shelf flap thing in the trunk/boot which gives even more space, but then you can't open the roof. We open the roof alot.. even if it's just to load the little ones in the back. lol

Yeah, our new XC60 is probably better at weekend holidays around the UK... but nothing is better than a convertible for cruising around the seaside in style!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:36 AM   #12
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

My kids are now 4 and 7. I've had everything configuration from a rear facing seat in the middle with a convertible car seat on the outboard, to currently a high back booster on one outboard seat and a convertible car seat on the other outboard. With the original middle and outboard seat configuration, I was still able to SQUEEZE an adult in the other outboard seat. In the current configuration with the 7 year old's Graco high back booster, the fixed headrest does NOT create a problem. The only area of concern would be if you plan on having a second kid (meaning eventually 2 forward facing car seats), forget about fitting a 3rd human in the back seat. On a side note, I was also able to fit a full size Chicco travel system stroller in the trunk!
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0