BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

IPhone Car key?

I saw that Apple will release software that will allow you to use your phone as a car key! I hope it will work on 2016 models...

Anyone know any more about this?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I'm at the point now where I'm asking if some of the new tech is more of a gimmick versus convenience.

When I'm reading the latest gen BMW forums and they start complaining about the newest advances of CA (comfort access) where the doors lock/unlock as you walk up to the car or away from the car...or the new credit card size lock/unlock...as well as using the phone...I come away thinking that the pinnacle of this technology was the CA door handles.

The CA door handles allows you to lock/unlock the vehicle as long as the remote fob is on you or near your person (purse/bag/etc). Using the card or your phone...you have to fumble with it...it takes more time than just walking up to the car and touching a door handle. And the lock/unlock as you walk up to or away from the vehicle is fraught with not knowing if the car locked as you walked away...and then sometimes it has locked the passengers in the car because they were dawdling and the driver moved far enough away from the car...or the car didn't lock because a passenger still had their door open as the driver walked far enough away for the car to lock.

And again, pulling out your phone to lock/unlock the vehicle seems more troublesome than the normal CA operation. You might as well pull out your remote if you're going to pull out your phone then punch a code or whatever it takes to unlock the vehicle.

The card seems to work great for people that need to fly "unencumbered"...like if you are at an outing where you'd be around water...so you don't want to take your remote fob with you. The card can be secured on your person and even if it got wet...it wouldn't be an issue...but you still have to pull it out and swipe it in a specific way near the door handle...which is more cumbersome than just touching the CA ridges on the door handle.

Just some thoughts...not totally knocking the new technology...but it doesn't seem to make things easier or more convenient. It may work great for some or in some specific circumstances...but for the majority...I'm not sure if it's convenient or just a showy gimmick.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      06-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I'm at the point now where I'm asking if some of the new tech is more of a gimmick versus convenience.

When I'm reading the latest gen BMW forums and they start complaining about the newest advances of CA (comfort access) where the doors lock/unlock as you walk up to the car or away from the car...or the new credit card size lock/unlock...as well as using the phone...I come away thinking that the pinnacle of this technology was the CA door handles.

The CA door handles allows you to lock/unlock the vehicle as long as the remote fob is on you or near your person (purse/bag/etc). Using the card or your phone...you have to fumble with it...it takes more time than just walking up to the car and touching a door handle. And the lock/unlock as you walk up to or away from the vehicle is fraught with not knowing if the car locked as you walked away...and then sometimes it has locked the passengers in the car because they were dawdling and the driver moved far enough away from the car...or the car didn't lock because a passenger still had their door open as the driver walked far enough away for the car to lock.

And again, pulling out your phone to lock/unlock the vehicle seems more troublesome than the normal CA operation. You might as well pull out your remote if you're going to pull out your phone then punch a code or whatever it takes to unlock the vehicle.

The card seems to work great for people that need to fly "unencumbered"...like if you are at an outing where you'd be around water...so you don't want to take your remote fob with you. The card can be secured on your person and even if it got wet...it wouldn't be an issue...but you still have to pull it out and swipe it in a specific way near the door handle...which is more cumbersome than just touching the CA ridges on the door handle.

Just some thoughts...not totally knocking the new technology...but it doesn't seem to make things easier or more convenient. It may work great for some or in some specific circumstances...but for the majority...I'm not sure if it's convenient or just a showy gimmick.

I see your point and I agree. If the phone doesn’t work just like the fob with the nearfield business, I won’t use it. I rather like the novelty of having my phone be my car key, but if I have to yank it out of my pocket and stare at it and then push buttons to unlock my car, then what’s the point? The fob is a much better solution. Also, when I had an X3 loaner a while back, I became quite annoyed that all four door handles did not have CA tech. Only the front ones. It’s amazing how much this tiny inconvenience rankles. Like having to enter your passcode at Trader Joe’s when wearing a mask.

That said - About a year ago I misplaced my fob on a trip to Palm Springs - on a Sunday - of course. I was able to unlock my car through the BMW connected app, but was not able to start it. My host found the fob under the bed, so all ended well. In that situation, it would have been very nice to be able to start the car with the phone. For this, I’ll get the app - or whatever it is. But for everyday use, I’ll just keep the bulky fob on my person.

Funny story. I think the technology of having the door unlock as you approach began with Tesla. A few weeks ago, I decided to wash a friend’s Tesla X. She gave me the key and I started spraying. When I got within 3 feet of the driver’s door - it opened! While I was spraying water. Apparently the Tesla not only unlocks it but opens the door for you! Something to think about if you’re washing a Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

You raise some good valid points (great in a backup/emergency situation)...as well as some rankling faults (not totally ironed out in regards to everyday use).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      06-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

If I could get comfort access to work like it should, that would be great enough for me, lol
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      06-17-2020, 11:42 PM   #6
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
I see your point and I agree. If the phone doesn’t work just like the fob with the nearfield business, I won’t use it. I rather like the novelty of having my phone be my car key, but if I have to yank it out of my pocket and stare at it and then push buttons to unlock my car, then what’s the point? The fob is a much better solution. Also, when I had an X3 loaner a while back, I became quite annoyed that all four door handles did not have CA tech. Only the front ones. It’s amazing how much this tiny inconvenience rankles. Like having to enter your passcode at Trader Joe’s when wearing a mask.

That said - About a year ago I misplaced my fob on a trip to Palm Springs - on a Sunday - of course. I was able to unlock my car through the BMW connected app, but was not able to start it. My host found the fob under the bed, so all ended well. In that situation, it would have been very nice to be able to start the car with the phone. For this, I’ll get the app - or whatever it is. But for everyday use, I’ll just keep the bulky fob on my person.

Funny story. I think the technology of having the door unlock as you approach began with Tesla. A few weeks ago, I decided to wash a friend’s Tesla X. She gave me the key and I started spraying. When I got within 3 feet of the driver’s door - it opened! While I was spraying water. Apparently the Tesla not only unlocks it but opens the door for you! Something to think about if you’re washing a Tesla.

that's all those dreadful Teslas are good for anyway.... id fill them with water and put them all at the bottom of the sea and their smug drivers too....

as for CA, I sorta use it but more often than not the remote fob pressed is fine with me.... as stated by others.... this way I know for certain the car is locked!
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      06-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
If I could get comfort access to work like it should, that would be great enough for me, lol
Do you still have your NSX?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Quote:
Do you still have your NSX?
no, man. I let it go last year. Miss it now though. Fiancé moved in, It needed work, a new truck, and I was out of space
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #9
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no, man. I let it go last year. Miss it now though. Fiancé moved in, It needed work, a new truck, and I was out of space
I really miss my 97 NSX-T. I sold it to buy an SL55 back in 2005. I got seduced by the torque. Lol. I think about that NSX a lot.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      06-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #10
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

My understanding of this tech was that you can unlock the car with an Android Phone, but not be able to use Android Auto...

You can use an iPhone for CarPlay but not unlock the car.

I think the new 4 Series will be the first BMW car to have Android Auto.

I could be wrong and happy to be told otherwise

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #11
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

So When I tried to start the car I got "Remote Control - Engine Will Not Start - Hold Key to Steering Wheel". Since it appeared to me the battery was dying I went and got the second FOB. As I approached the vehicle with this FOB it sounded like it kept locking/unlocking the doors, or at least trying to. Then I got the same error message when trying to start so I assumed both remotes needed new batteries. I replaced the batteries and went back to the original FOB. Now when I approach the car it is doing what the other FOB did - constant clicking. I thought i saw a thread about this issue here but can't find it?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
...As I approached the vehicle with this FOB it sounded like it kept locking/unlocking the doors, or at least trying to. ... I assumed both remotes needed new batteries. I replaced the batteries and went back to the original FOB. Now when I approach the car it is doing what the other FOB did - constant clicking. I thought i saw a thread about this issue here but can't find it?
Do a search for failed CA (comfort access) door handles. I believe the locking/unlocking as you walk around the car is usually one of the signs that one of the CA door handles is failing.

And a failing CA door handle can drain the Car’s battery...and a low car battery can create electrical gremlins that could be the cause of the warning you’re seeing in your attempt to start the car.

You might want to check your car battery’s voltage to make sure it isn’t in a state of discharge.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Frupal. You were right - CA not working on drivers side door handle! Scheduled for an oil change tomorrow so hopefully they can fix under Warranty,
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      06-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #14
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just noticed my soft close door on the drivers side isn't working either. Perhaps the same sensor for soft close and locking? The Comfort Access does work for opening door - just not locking with thumb.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Quote:
Thanks Frupal. You were right - CA not working on drivers side door handle! Scheduled for an oil change tomorrow so hopefully they can fix under Warranty,
Mine's in for yet another DTM, but I was also having those issues with the CA door handle. Interested if they covered this for ya?

My Service guy told me that the handles would probably be classes as a "wear item" and not under warranty. I think this is bs as it's not like the handle failed due to "wear" per se, it's some sensor and also it's been in for this issue before. But.. this is BMW UK (have never really been impressed).
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just noticed my soft close door on the drivers side isn't working either. Perhaps the same sensor for soft close and locking? The Comfort Access does work for opening door - just not locking with thumb.
Here’s some info from the BMW TIS website (www.newtis.info) that might be helpful in understanding the soft-close feature and how its not related to comfort access.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #17
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Ketchup View Post
Mine's in for yet another DTM, but I was also having those issues with the CA door handle. Interested if they covered this for ya?

My Service guy told me that the handles would probably be classes as a "wear item" and not under warranty. I think this is bs as it's not like the handle failed due to "wear" per se, it's some sensor and also it's been in for this issue before. But.. this is BMW UK (have never really been impressed).
Yes they are covering under Warranty - had to order part. And I just made it, my Warranty expires tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #18
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Qsilver7 - Thanks for the additional info.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #19
pcgold
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive GC

I like the CA door handles. But when I wash the car, all it does it beep, lock and unlock the car every time I get near the handles. Sort of embarrassing at a wand wash.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #20
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgold View Post
I like the CA door handles. But when I wash the car, all it does it beep, lock and unlock the car every time I get near the handles. Sort of embarrassing at a wand wash.
Do you know why this is happening? If not, you need to remove the remote from close proximity to the cars. The remote and the handles are communicating with each other...and when the water hits the CA door handles...it is being presumed/interpreted as a “touch”.

If you’re at home...you can just move the remote further into the house or garage...but if you’re at a commercial Carwash...that may not be possible...so perhaps some type of Faraday bag or box would prevent the remote and CA door handles from communicating with each other.

You can probably find an inexpensive but workable Faraday bag on amazon.com or eBay...or do a google search.

Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      07-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #21
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you know why this is happening? If not, you need to remove the remote from close proximity to the cars. The remote and the handles are communicating with each other...and when the water hits the CA door handles...it is being presumed/interpreted as a “touch”.

If you’re at home...you can just move the remote further into the house or garage...but if you’re at a commercial Carwash...that may not be possible...so perhaps some type of Faraday bag or box would prevent the remote and CA door handles from communicating with each other.

You can probably find an inexpensive but workable Faraday bag on amazon.com or eBay...or do a google search.
This happens all the time at the hand wash. It is not a problem. The doors just lock and unlock when they think they are being fondled. It WAS a problem when I was washing a friend’s Tesla X (never do that again, the damned thing is HUUUUUUUUUGE!). When I approached the driver’s door, full on water spraying, the damn thing opened! Gave the driver’s seat a good soaking. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #22
pcgold
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgold View Post

Of course I know why it's happening 😉. Just annoying. Easy to solve at home. Not so much at a car wash.
Appreciate 0