BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-22-2024, 01:50 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Telemarketers are annoying (How to stop them??)

Damn are they annoying. Is there any way to stop them? I have an Android phone and it already sometimes IDs spam numbers but they still have the option to leave a voicemail, so I have to waste time going through them...I assume there is no way to totally prevent that, or else a legit number that was trying to get through would be blocked as well?

I dunno what I'm really asking, I guess maybe I'm just venting unless you guys have a solution that I'm not seeing? TIA.

Btw, 'Group Selection Collect' apparently has a hard-on for me because I supposedly owe them a lot of $$$$ lmao. Who's your annoying spammer?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 02:19 PM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I’ve heard other people complain about spam calls and tbh, they don’t really bother me. I don’t answer my phone if I don’t recognize the caller and it goes to voicemail and very view of them leave a message.
      02-22-2024, 02:34 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I’ve heard other people complain about spam calls and tbh, they don’t really bother me. I don’t answer my phone if I don’t recognize the caller and it goes to voicemail and very view of them leave a message.
Oh, you're lucky. Many of them leave a voicemail so I gotta check and delete it, a bit of a pita.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 03:13 PM   #4
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Apparently my credit cards are used to buy apple products on a regular basis lol. I also get robocalls in mandarin semi-regularly. I hope they're not calling about my social credit score.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      02-22-2024, 03:23 PM   #5
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

I know there are some people I call who before I can leave a voice mail, you have to re enter their phone number or some crap (can't remember exactly, but think it was their phone number). Very few and far between, but spammers would struggle to leave voice mail that way as I highly doubt they know the number they called.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
      02-22-2024, 03:26 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
I know there are some people I call who before I can leave a voice mail, you have to re enter their phone number or some crap (can't remember exactly, but think it was their phone number). Very few and far between, but spammers would struggle to leave voice mail that way as I highly doubt they know the number they called.
That's a good one, kinda like having to input a 'password'. Too bad I don't think my provider has this ftn.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 03:34 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Local Toyota dealer keeps calling me about a vehicle that belongs to my son. I have told them so many times, I just let it go to VM, and delete it immediately the next time I look in my VM folder.
      02-22-2024, 03:35 PM   #8
NikMN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 n63tu

Don't pick up # you don't know 2nd option 🤬 with them and waist their time
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:09 PM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

May be me calling or SMSing re. political polling. 'Tis the season in the USA and in Canada it's a bit quiet for now until the next scandal hits, which will be tomorrow the way this government is going.

We need to call/SMS cell because landline is all geriatrics and online is all russian bots.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:55 PM   #10
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Try owning a business with multiple lines

The death penalty might be a little a little extreme but I have been know to faint interest and while they are prattling on I go back to my work.
At lease I'm tying them up and saving them from abusing someone else.

Question: Where do they get the clowns representing some "police association" That sound like they gargled with Drano and smoked a carton of Camel unfiltered cigarettes.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:57 PM   #11
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

im with Rogers, and rogers starting to show calls as '' scam possible''

Even if the call dont enter, they still can leave a voice mail.

Until I found this app : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.vvm&hl=en_US

It's legit and work very well even on the free version.

basically what it does, it transfer the call to the app provider and it manage the call AND voice mail. So if you block the phone number, it will answer and hungup without you even noticed it. The call will be redirected to the YouMail voice mail, and wont bother your main line. They also provide a spam list that you can agree to block or not (most popular scam)

In fact, its a bonified filter.

So far the only con I have,
-on the free version the voice mail message is robotic and english only.
- it wont block scammer that use phone number forwarding. (the phone number showing on your phone is only a image, and not the real one, so if you call back it wont be the same person) If you block those, you have a risk to block legit phone number
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 05:06 PM   #12
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I just don’t answer the phone anymore unless they are one of my contacts. If it’s an important call, they will leave a VM. If not they won’t. Usually my spam callers will keep trying so it’s easy to block if they call and then try to call a second time right away. I will then block them. It doesn’t keep them from leaving a VM but then I’m no longer disturbed. 90+% of the calls I receive are not anything official.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 05:21 PM   #13
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2 OG DCT

I don`t have a smart phone - I have no voicemail on either mobile or landline - I don`t answer numbers that I do not recognise - I receive negligible random calls ... go figure

Yes, I am sad and have few friends
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 05:50 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ok, no more mention of the death penalty. TY, mods.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 06:31 PM   #15
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Ironically, I was just looking at my Verizon Wireless bill and thinking about dropping my $3.99 Call Filter Plus subscription. It has been months since I received a robocall, I assume because STIR/SHAKEN is working well at the carrier level or the FTC has whacked all of the major telemarketers.....
      02-22-2024, 07:01 PM   #16
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

When they call our house phone (landline) I usually harass them! My wife asks me why I answer the phone and talk to them, and I tell her "Because it amuses me!"
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
      02-23-2024, 08:29 AM   #17
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Try owning a business with multiple lines

The death penalty might be a little a little extreme but I have been know to faint interest and while they are prattling on I go back to my work.
At lease I'm tying them up and saving them from abusing someone else.

Question: Where do they get the clowns representing some "police association" That sound like they gargled with Drano and smoked a carton of Camel unfiltered cigarettes.

My wife owns two businesses and has two cell numbers, all the spam calls drive her insane. If you answer the call then the call center knows they have a good number and will call more frequently. Key is ignore any numbers that seem fake or you don't know.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2024, 08:41 AM   #18
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
My wife owns two businesses and has two cell numbers, all the spam calls drive her insane. If you answer the call then the call center knows they have a good number and will call more frequently. Key is ignore any numbers that seem fake or you don't know.
Pretty hard to do in a retail environment. Can't block calls because the number you block could be a customer.

Lets add an additional issue. I'm guessing that most of you don't give to politicians because that would be at the top of your hate lists this time of year. Not unusual for me to get 30 emails and 20 texts a day. Personally I can't wait for Nikki Haley to quit as her people are by far the worst offenders and I never gave her a dime.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:57 AM   #19
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

This is a total real call, Kitboga is amazing

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 10:44 AM   #20
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
When they call our house phone (landline) I usually harass them! My wife asks me why I answer the phone and talk to them, and I tell her "Because it amuses me!"

Our house phone also has a landline, we had over 70 phone calls over a 7-8 day period at the beginning of February. My wife was pissed as she is home all day. When I got home the phone literally ran every half hour.

I decided to finally answer only to hear some foreign accent voice respond. I harassed also but with a bit of a raised voice and a few expliditives and then asked that they remove our number from their list. Next day, only 3 calls and none since then.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 01:29 PM   #21
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
... Personally I can't wait for Nikki Haley to quit as her people are by far the worst offenders and I never gave her a dime.
I got one from her, too. I responded that I wouldn't vote for her for dogcatcher!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2024, 01:52 PM   #22
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]