02-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #1
NGROSSO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6

S63 Oil Check

Hi everyone,

I brought home a 2016 M6 that had been lightly hit in the left front. Its a gamble, but for the spec and out of excess time it looked like a fun project. The car is stationary due to the left aux radiator being disconnected and all coolant leaking out. Brings me to my first question..

Can I connect the coolant hoses without the left aux radiator for an attempted start?

Want to figure out if its possible to get this thing running before spending the money on parts. This leads to question 2..

Im worried about the possibility the oil cooler hoses were disconnected at one point and the engine could be seized. I can't start the car since its stationary (likely due to coolant), so has anyone come up with tricks on how to manually check the oil level?

Seizing the engine for a test start would be an even bigger mistake than buying the car in the first place! Idrive oil check requires the car to be running and theres no dipstick.

Any info helps! Thanks everyone.

Best,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Regarding the oil quantity. I am unaware of any way to manually check the level. Would it not be prudent to just drain whatever oil is in it, and then refill with some fresh oil, up to the correct quantity? That way at least you know that you have oil in it.

My .02 on the Aux Radiator.... If you can bypass it, then there should be no harm in test running the motor (after the above oil procedure). Radiators are meant to cool the coolant. You can monitor this digitally via the double secret
test mode and shutoff motor if need be.

That is how I would do it anyway.....

There is a M6 specific sub thread on this forum which may be a bit more direct in getting you help with the car. The thread you posted on is fine, but the M6 would be even better.

L
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]

My .02 on the Aux Radiator.... If you can bypass it, then there should be no harm in test running the motor (after the above oil procedure). Radiators are meant to cool the coolant. You can monitor this digitally via the double secret

L[/QUOTE]

There is a dry run protection on the circulation pump motor so you might not get a permissive to start. You will need to make sure the system if full of coolant and then "jumper" the cooler hydraulic circuit.
Try turning the engine over "by hand" (crank front bolt or bar over via starter ring) to se if it is seized.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:21 PM   #4
NGROSSO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post

L
There is a dry run protection on the circulation pump motor so you might not get a permissive to start. You will need to make sure the system if full of coolant and then "jumper" the cooler hydraulic circuit.
Try turning the engine over "by hand" (crank front bolt or bar over via starter ring) to se if it is seized.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the suggestions. That will be the plan!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
NGROSSO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
Regarding the oil quantity. I am unaware of any way to manually check the level. Would it not be prudent to just drain whatever oil is in it, and then refill with some fresh oil, up to the correct quantity? That way at least you know that you have oil in it.

That is how I would do it anyway.....

There is a M6 specific sub thread on this forum which may be a bit more direct in getting you help with the car. The thread you posted on is fine, but the M6 would be even better.

L

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0