BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #67
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

I'm Wondering if it has anything to do with the fact the rims have been straightened twice now?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #68
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep

FINALLY!!

After 11 days in the shop, a new rear flex disc and U-joint, 5 bent wheels straightened, 11 wheels balanced, 2 new rims, and 2 new tires the shaking is gone!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #69
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
FINALLY!!

After 11 days in the shop, a new rear flex disc and U-joint, 5 bent wheels straightened, 11 wheels balanced, 2 new rims, and 2 new tires the shaking is gone!
And resetting the driveshaft.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #70
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithkap View Post
I have a relatively new 650 convertible with the M package. Since taking ownership I have had a shaking when the car is accelerating when going over 60mph. You can really feel it on cruise control every time it accelerates going up an incline. My techs at my dealership both felt this vibration. They called in the BMW rep and after test driving he commented that it drives the way it was designed. I sincerely doubt that BMW designed a car to shake. I contacted corporate customer service and they were no help. He basically said there is nothing he can do. Is there anyone out there that has had this same problem. My techs told me that they have had 7 series and X6's come in with the same problem when they have the M sport package installed. I thought I was getting an upgrade when I got the M package but obviously they have not perfected it.
My 640 with m sport package doesn't shake at all. Have had it up to 130 on the interstate and smooth as hell.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #71
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by major one View Post
wow. thanks. how unfortunate that this problem is pervasive across the 650 line. it makes me want to go the 640 route, but i found the i6 fairly noisy. ugh. no perfect car i realise. maybe m6 is the way to go ,,,
My 640 is smooth as hell and not noisy. In sport or sport plus, I get a nice throaty exhaust but not loud.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #72
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's the way it is suppose to be city1991. And now I'm back to that!!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #73
Il.Duce.Dicky
Rep
Drives: Lots of mercs

If you haven't already diagnosed this issue I would check out the flex discs and main driveshaft bearing. Worn flex discs could cause vibrations which feels similar to wheels out of balance. Not uncommon on engines with lot of tourqe even on low mileage. I've seen it several times.

Edit: lol, just seen that you solved the problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #74
FJBruiser
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer1 View Post
I'd like to know if anyone has had any success in solving this.

My 2017 650i xdrive Gran Coupe M Sport (5000 miles) shakes between 1500-1900 rpm with light to moderate throttle. Especially noticeable when climbing hills on interstates. If using the cruise control, a manual downshift (raising rpm above 2000) immediately stops the shake, which returns as soon as the transmission upshifts. I can duplicate this behavior in any of the top 4 gears. I'm not sure if it happens in the lower gears because I can't find a hill that would allow me to stay in the problem rpm range.

My dealer has force balanced all 4 wheels, checked alignment and replaced the transfer case with no change in behavior. Most recently, they have given me a new loaner that is, except for color, identical to my car which exhibits the same unacceptable behavior. BMW tells the dealer that they have had similar complaints but have no solution.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? How about anyone with a 2 wheel drive 650i? Any ideas on how to correct this?
I have a 2016 650i GC M sport that I had for over 3 years now. It had 5k miles when I got it. From day one it has had a vibration that seems to come from the middle where the transmission is. It happens with acceleration/gear change and it is less noticeable when NOT in Sport mode/exhaust valve is shut. When I first got the car I thought it was very odd, never experienced it with any other BMW. I was disappointed that a 6 months old $103 BMW with 5k on it would behave this way. To me it felt like NVH from a design flaw. I never asked the dealership to look into it. They have driven the car several times to test (repeatedly) warped rotors. It still happens to this day and I resigned to accept it as one of a few flaws in an otherwise beautiful and sexy beast. To me it feels that the transmission or the torque converter is vibrating when accelerating and changing gears. Quiet honestly it is a shame that a $100k BMW feels that way when my 2011 335i power train was super smooth. If anyone has had a similar experience please share it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #75
FJBruiser
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonblkf12 View Post
I have an appointment at Circle BMW in NJ on Friday. Today on the garden state pkwy between 60-80 the car vibrates and stutters... Will advise.
That’s my dealer! How did things work out for you?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #76
JMadsen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 6501

I have a 2017, 650i Coupe, M package, recently bought as a CPO, with 30K miles on it. the shaking described in the thread is exactly what I am experiencing. Had the car into the dealer twice now. New rims, new tires, still does the same thing. Now told by BMW corporate that this is a "Normal Characteristic" for this car, window sticker $ 105,000. My next stop is legal action. The car is now officially impossible to even resell, without disclosing this issue. Happy to hear from anyone who have had success dealing with BMW to find a resolution.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #77
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Well that is total BS. When everything is right this car drives smooth as silk at any speed. I'd be looking at the two rubber flex disks (Guibo's) on the drive shaft. You can only see the rear one as in this picture. Mine had some cracks but that more or less normal wear and doesn't not affect the performance of the car at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #78
JMadsen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 6501

Thanks Walt,
My dealer has given up. Next stop is BMW Corporate. The problem most likely stems from the torque converter, the problem goes away when driving in Sport mode, aka when the torque converter is locked, which is not feasible for every day driving. It is apparently a well known problem at BMW, with this particular package combination. I can't wait to hear where in the promotional literature, it says that a special feature of this car is the vibration mode at highway speeds, it is a normal characteristic which we built onto the car for you!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #79
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadsen View Post
Thanks Walt,
My dealer has given up. Next stop is BMW Corporate. The problem most likely stems from the torque converter, the problem goes away when driving in Sport mode, aka when the torque converter is locked, which is not feasible for every day driving. It is apparently a well known problem at BMW, with this particular package combination. I can't wait to hear where in the promotional literature, it says that a special feature of this car is the vibration mode at highway speeds, it is a normal characteristic which we built onto the car for you!
Is this true the torque converter locks in Sport Mode? My problem still isn't fixed. How did you make out - find the problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:21 AM   #80
doughboy650gc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i grand coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadsen View Post
Thanks Walt,
Is this true the torque converter locks in Sport Mode? My problem still isn't fixed. How did you make out - find the problem?
I bought my car back in 2016 and have brought this up numerous times... I be been given every excuse from bent wheels,cheap tire and even the this is normal for cars with the n63tus .. back then car had 34k and now has 43k I'm going to bring this up and if nothing gets done then I'll call BMW N.A
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 02:14 AM   #81
falvarado72
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i

Check you drive shaft is balanced

most people dont check their drive shafts, they must be balanced. I put on an aftermarket, and had the same issue until I took it in to a shop and they balanced it. PERFECT!! Now, I have other issues~~~
Appreciate 0