05-28-2020, 10:37 PM   #375
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Would JW Black or Double Black be a good option to drink around campfires? If not, any recommendations for a $25-30 bottle for camping?
If you are with a bunch of buddies hanging around, try the Costco Kirkland 12yr Blended Scotch. A 1.75L bottle is $35 and it's real easy to drink.

I also just finished a bottle of Double Black, and it has a nice, but not strong peaty flavor. It goes well with a medium strength cigar.
      05-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #376
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
If you are with a bunch of buddies hanging around, try the Costco Kirkland 12yr Blended Scotch. A 1.75L bottle is $35 and it's real easy to drink.

I also just finished a bottle of Double Black, and it has a nice, but not strong peaty flavor. It goes well with a medium strength cigar.
That’s good value for sure. I was set on JW as my dad had some when I was a kid. Don’t think I have ever had JW as an adult and keen to try it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #377
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post

That’s good value for sure. I was set on JW as my dad had some when I was a kid. Don’t think I have ever had JW as an adult and keen to try it.
You won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:33 PM   #378
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
In JW Black or Kirkland blended?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:34 PM   #379
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In JW Black or Kirkland blended?
JW Black

Runs around 30-40 dollars a bottle. Check Costco, they have the best pricing usually.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:35 AM   #380
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Lol... double black is marketed as a higher end itme but its worse... it has no age statement whereas black is 12.

Double Black is a blend with the youngest single malt in the mix being 12 years old.
That is absolutely incorrect... that would be JW Black which has a 12 age statement on the front... the double black is unaged and allows JW to use casks that are younger... i'd be willing to bet the average of what is in there is probably closer to 10 or just a tad under...
      05-29-2020, 02:37 AM   #381
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
I have no idea how the double black is mixed but I'd be shocked if JW would use anything younger than 12 in regular black as you mention. It wouldn't be worth the risk to their rep to use younger whiskey in it.
So both Johnny Walker Black and Double Black are blends as are all JW Whisk(e)y. The youngest whisk(e)y in both blends is 12 years old. There are likely whiskey in the mix that are much older as well.

The age statement on any blended whisk(e)y is the youngest whisk(e)y in the mix, there may be 18 and 25 year olds in there as well.
Again... only applies to regular black which has the age statement... double black has zero aging references whatsoever.
      05-29-2020, 05:39 AM   #382
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
That is absolutely incorrect... that would be JW Black which has a 12 age statement on the front... the double black is unaged and allows JW to use casks that are younger... i'd be willing to bet the average of what is in there is probably closer to 10 or just a tad under...
\

I miss spoke as I was reading a comparison of Black vs Double Black earlier. I'm going to touch base with my buddy who's the Whisk(e)y Consultant for Johnny Walker and see if he can let me know what the youngest single malt in DB is. I'll report back.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:54 AM   #383
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

The absolute age is irrelevant, unless you are a numbers snob - in that case just buy the Blue and impress everyone (who doesn't know about single malt) that you spent more than is reasonable. Once you get beyond 2 or 3 years, it becomes a flavor profile issue, and many taste better in younger forms.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      05-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #384
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Now I'm confused since there's many different types. Enlighten us whiskypat!
These two chucklefucks have an entertaining YouTube channel (two actually, Whiskey Tribe and Whisky Vault).

They're not for everyone, but the info is very good.

Here's their explainer on Whisky vs Whiskey. You only need the first like 4 min of the video
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...

Last edited by WhiskyPat12; 05-29-2020 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
bobowar1353479.00
premier3is1627.00
      05-29-2020, 07:18 AM   #385
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
The absolute age is irrelevant, unless you are a numbers snob - in that case just buy the Blue and impress everyone (who doesn't know about single malt) that you spent more than is reasonable. Once you get beyond 2 or 3 years, it becomes a flavor profile issue, and many taste better in younger forms.
Partially true... JW red is roughly 4 years and its trash... the idea behind non aged malts is to have the ability to use younger casks for a different profile but... the bigger idea is to improve your margins. In the US, people are number snobs thats why aged whiskeys do better but at least you always know what you are minimally paying for.

Would you prefer to pay $500 for a nice 25 YO or something labeled as a "reserve" that could have 10 YO whiskeys? If you like the younger profile, then maybe you'd prefer the latter... but couldnt you just have bought something to cheaper to begin with?
      05-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #386
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
This is what I get for "assuming". I assumed since the double black was slightly more expensive that they wouldn't use any whisky in the blend younger than that used in the regular black.

I'd like to say I'll learn from that but you know at this age I think I am hopeless.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #387
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Partially true... JW red is roughly 4 years and its trash... the idea behind non aged malts is to have the ability to use younger casks for a different profile but... the bigger idea is to improve your margins. In the US, people are number snobs thats why aged whiskeys do better but at least you always know what you are minimally paying for.

Would you prefer to pay $500 for a nice 25 YO or something labeled as a "reserve" that could have 10 YO whiskeys? If you like the younger profile, then maybe you'd prefer the latter... but couldnt you just have bought something to cheaper to begin with?

Red is terrible, my buddy drinks it on hot days with Ginger ale. I can't do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #388
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I have found drinking spirits to be highly personal and it changes over time. I like red wine and I have found that what I like is drastically different than what others like. I have also found that spending $200+ on a bottle of Cab is no guarantee that it is "good". Although many other people like it a lot. So I spend a lot of time searching for my wine and I have found a couple of medium $$$ cabs that are great. Lately, I have been trying some blends and they are quite delicious. Very different from the classic Cab, but oh so tasty. But the wine snobs think they aren't pure.

I am just now getting into whiskey and I have discovered my taste is for Irish. I'm not a fan of JB Blue type whiskey. The peaty/mossy stuff just isn't for me. I like my Midletons Very Rare and just picked up some Redbreast 21. Both are just my kind of whiskey.

Is there a level of snobbery associated with single malt? I've had a few shots of Louis XIII over the years and whoever blends that stuff is a genius. If someone makes a good blended whiskey, I will gladly try it. I need to find something in the $80-$100 range so I'm not dropping $200+ on every bottle.
      05-29-2020, 07:45 AM   #389
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I have found drinking spirits to be highly personal and it changes over time. I like red wine and I have found that what I like is drastically different than what others like. I have also found that spending $200+ on a bottle of Cab is no guarantee that it is "good". Although many other people like it a lot. So I spend a lot of time searching for my wine and I have found a couple of medium $$$ cabs that are great. Lately, I have been trying some blends and they are quite delicious. Very different from the classic Cab, but oh so tasty. But the wine snobs think they aren't pure.

I am just now getting into whiskey and I have discovered my taste is for Irish. I'm not a fan of JB Blue type whiskey. The peaty/mossy stuff just isn't for me. I like my Midletons Very Rare and just picked up some Redbreast 21. Both are just my kind of whiskey.

Is there a level of snobbery associated with single malt? I've had a few shots of Louis XIII over the years and whoever blends that stuff is a genius. If someone makes a good blended whiskey, I will gladly try it. I need to find something in the $80-$100 range so I'm not dropping $200+ on every bottle.
Good post and well said. I'm with you, drink what you like as it is all very personal like most of life's pleasures. There is definitely a snobbery with spirits as with many other things. There are some fantastic Single Malts and some stellar blends.

Cheers.
Appreciate 2
Violator4587.50
DocL1922.50
      05-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #390
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

This is a circular phenomenon - older casks inherently cost more: they sit around costing overhead, while losing volume over time. But then the marketing/'snob factor' takes it out of the realm of simple accounting and blows it up. Age statements or debating the quality of ingredients around ANY blends is comical, since the real elite market is for rare single malts (add a few zero's to the rarest JW has ever sold). Just like with wines, some of those old casks are really only fit for cleaning solution. Blending is an art, and one that is sadly disrespected these days = it used to be that the blends were the high-class drink, and single malts were for the poor yokels who couldn't afford the refined stuff. In truth, even the single malts are usually a form of blend, in that they select casks to maintain a consistent flavor profile, even if choosing among barrels from the same batch.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #391
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
This is a circular phenomenon - older casks inherently cost more: they sit around costing overhead, while losing volume over time. But then the marketing/'snob factor' takes it out of the realm of simple accounting and blows it up. Age statements or debating the quality of ingredients around ANY blends is comical, since the real elite market is for rare single malts (add a few zero's to the rarest JW has ever sold). Just like with wines, some of those old casks are really only fit for cleaning solution. Blending is an art, and one that is sadly disrespected these days = it used to be that the blends were the high-class drink, and single malts were for the poor yokels who couldn't afford the refined stuff. In truth, even the single malts are usually a form of blend, in that they select casks to maintain a consistent flavor profile, even if choosing among barrels from the same batch.
Yes, blends are a mixture or blend of single malts. Some of the snobbery comes from in part folks that are brand snobs. I'll only drive a cadillac for example.
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
      05-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #392
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great post. The 'Single' in Single Malt means it comes from one distillery. Unless the bottle says cask strength or single barrel, it is 99% likely that it is 'blended' between that distillers casks exactly for the reason you stated. To maintain a consistent flavor profile.
Quote:
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Maynard3804.50
      05-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #393
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, blends are a mixture or blend of single malts. Some of the snobbery comes from in part folks that are brand snobs. I'll only drive a cadillac for example.
Not to sharpen the point to much but one bit of conflation that people snob about is only stating Blend without the qualifier of cereal.

If something says Blended Whisky, it might contain grain whisky. If it says Blended Malt, it only has barley. Whisk(e)y can be made from any cereal grain (Barley, Wheat, Rye, Corn for Bourbon)

As stated in my above post where the Single in Single Malt denotes one distillery, Blended means multiple distilleries.

None of this is to mean better or worse, it's all about preference. I like Chivas 12 over Johnny Walker Black (never had the double black) and I'd never spend the $$$ on JW Blue (not worth in IMO).
Quote:
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
premier3is1627.00
      05-29-2020, 08:24 AM   #394
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
The whiskey tribe is a joke.

I have not found a lot of blends I really like but the few that come to mind off hand are mostly from Compass Box. I am definitely more of a bourbon and rye drinker though, those really trip my trigger.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #395
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
These two chucklefucks have an entertaining YouTube channel (two actually, Whiskey Tribe and Whisky Vault).

Here's their explainer on Whisky vs Whiskey. You only need the first like 4 min of the video
I have watched a lot of the Whiskey Vault videos over the last few months. They’re entertaining.
Appreciate 2
bobowar1353479.00
      05-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #396
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
Quote:
Now I'm confused since there's many different types. Enlighten us whiskypat!

got it now lol. I'll pretend I didn't hear how 50% of Scotch whisky sees a Bourbon barrel at some point in its life... "but that's E territory!"
Appreciate 1