BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-31-2021, 06:53 PM   #1
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Air Filter Change from Stock to K&N?

Hello

I think I've seen people saying replacing the stock air filter with K&N Filter? or other aftermarket will make good improvements on sound? I think I saw some ppl claiming that getting an aftermarket intake system that costs 2~3k is not worth it and replacing the air filter alone does a decent job.

I am not in the market to get an aftermarket intake system just yet and wanted to hear what other peoples' view on this subject matter

my general interest in any mods is usually just around cosmetic upgrades and sound improvements, not so much on the performance.

I currently have Dinan 1 tune and just muffler delete done on the car, I am not going downpipe or catless at this time due to the extended warranty is remaining for the next 4 years.

update: ok i guess it's got more to do with the charcoal filter delete? how risky is it to do the charcoal filter delete?

Last edited by Infiniteflow; 03-31-2021 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
jjgrizz73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

Adding filters won't change the sound but they will help, mostly from the removal of the charcoal filters in the stock intakes. I prefer dry filters so there's no need for oil or a chance to mess with the MAFs.
With that, I did the Project Gamma intakes, they weren't as expensive as some of the other options and do the job nicely. Filters are placed behind the grille and they sound good, as far as the performance I'm not sure because I bumped to the stage 2 tune at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 02:31 AM   #3
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgrizz73 View Post
Adding filters won't change the sound but they will help, mostly from the removal of the charcoal filters in the stock intakes. I prefer dry filters so there's no need for oil or a chance to mess with the MAFs.
With that, I did the Project Gamma intakes, they weren't as expensive as some of the other options and do the job nicely. Filters are placed behind the grille and they sound good, as far as the performance I'm not sure because I bumped to the stage 2 tune at the same time.
Thanks for your response, is the K&N filter a dry filter? I am thinking if I should change it at my next oil change or something I just changed oil not too long ago and the shop changed the air filter at the same time

I guess I can't expect much out of charcoal filter delete haha
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
Thanks for your response, is the K&N filter a dry filter? I am thinking if I should change it at my next oil change or something I just changed oil not too long ago and the shop changed the air filter at the same time

The charcoal filter delete is very much worth it. Yes I believe the K&N is a dry drop in. Look into DNA motoring drop ins to save some $$.

You will not gain any extra sounds as the filters will still be in the box but the stock box flows rather well and with new drop ins and no charcoal filters the car will breath much better.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
jjgrizz73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgrizz73 View Post

K&N are typically oiled, I'm not sure if that has changed. I did the aFe filters prior to the intakes and I know BMC are real popular as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #6
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

I have the aFe dry filters removed the charcoal filter and also have the Akrapovic M performance exhaust and I feel the car more responsive and the sound at sport+ is perfect for me. The car does not lack power but I find this combination perfect and a small boost for me and spin tires even when warm at gear shifts.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #7
cpalacay
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC and '16 X5M

I’ve done both. Removed the charcoal filters and didn’t really notice any change. I also went the K&N route and didn’t notice any change but I bought them for the reusability factor. In my case, I ended up getting maf error issues because of the oil from the filters. I cleaned out the filters with degreaser to remove the oil and then re-oiled them with the K&N recharge kit but with very minimal oil. I flushed out the mafs with CRC maf cleaner before putting everything back together and haven’t had an issues since.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #8
cpalacay
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC and '16 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalacay View Post
I’ve done both. Removed the charcoal filters and didn’t really notice any change. I also went the K&N route and didn’t notice any change but I bought them for the reusability factor. In my case, I ended up getting maf error issues because of the oil from the filters. I cleaned out the filters with degreaser to remove the oil and then re-oiled them with the K&N recharge kit but with very minimal oil. I flushed out the mafs with CRC maf cleaner before putting everything back together and haven’t had an issues since.
In my experience it’s the ASD. I thought the charcoal filters and downpipes made everything louder and felt like the car was more responsive, but it really came from the ASD. It all sounded cool in the cabin at first, but after I removed the ASD the cabin was dead silent, I can barely even hear the turbos spooling up.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:07 PM   #9
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalacay View Post
In my experience it’s the ASD. I thought the charcoal filters and downpipes made everything louder and felt like the car was more responsive, but it really came from the ASD. It all sounded cool in the cabin at first, but after I removed the ASD the cabin was dead silent, I can barely even hear the turbos spooling up.
I deactivated ASD and I tried to see if re-activating ASD after muff delete would make the sound any different but at that point, the ASD function wasn't even working anymore. I think the muffler has something to do with the ASD.
Appreciate 0