BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Convertible

BimmerCode with a Tune

Just looking to do some simple coding for things like folding mirrors with locking and unlocking etc. Just curious, this will not affect my car's Tune will it? Just want to make sure before I plug this thing in and start changing things.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #2
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasiakos View Post
Just looking to do some simple coding for things like folding mirrors with locking and unlocking etc. Just curious, this will not affect my car's Tune will it? Just want to make sure before I plug this thing in and start changing things.
Consider bimmerlink and BimmerCode as diy route
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
Petepacman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
It will not affect your tune at all
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Bimmercode and other coding apps only changes parameters of the modules you select. If you had a “tune”...I would assume that was done to your DME/ECU that would affect the engine/transmission/throttle etc.

Folding mirrors and door lock/unlock and other coding parameters that are common...are done to the FRM/FEM/BDC/REM/HU-CIC/HU-NBT/KOMBI/JBE/SZL modules/etc. These modules have nothing to do with your engine or transmission. So the answer would be no..using Bimmercode or Carly etc should not affect an aftermarket tune if you use the apps correctly...and don’t brick the car or code so long without powering the battery that you drain the battery.

If you get an understanding of the car’s communication bus...this should help ease your mind as to what is being done and to what control modules in the car are being affected.

And the Bimmercode app tells you exactly what module you’re working on when making coding selections.

An example of the various control modules can be seen in this topological chart below...which is probably more indicative of the communication bus used on BMWs from around the 2004-2010 era. BMW has since evolved some systems and created newer modules that control various new systems around the car:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-19-2020 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Bimmercode and other coding apps only changes parameters of the modules you select. If you had a "tune"...I would assume that was done to your DME/ECU that would affect the engine/transmission/throttle etc.

Folding mirrors and door lock/unlock and other coding parameters that are common...are done to the FRM/FEM/BDC/REM/HU-CIC/HU-NBT modules/etc. These modules have nothing to do with your engine or transmission. So the answer would be no..using Bimmercode or Carly etc should not affect an aftermarket tune if you use the apps correctly...and don't brick the car or code so long without powering the battery that you drain the battery.

If you get an understanding of the car's communication bus...this should help ease your mind as to what is being done and to what control modules in the car are being affected.
Exactly, think of each module as it's own app if you were looking at this like a phone per say... update a module / is like updating an app... these apps have safe templates for what you can mod and then an advanced tab for what you should not...

Before you pay some modder to do a remote session and code your folding mirrors save your money and invest in the apps and explore it... share on here and folks can help ya with the basics...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Convertible

Thanks for easing my mind. I already bought the obd Bluetooth module and will code with BimmerCode app.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Thanks for easing my mind. I already bought the obd Bluetooth module and will code with BimmerCode app.
Happy coding. And if you plan on doing multiple things...do them in batches where you can mostly remember what you did in case you want to undo them. Even though it creates backups...it still can be daunting to a noob trying to remember all the things you did.

And if you have a battery float/trickle maintainer-charger...consider hooking it up to the correct pos./neg jump start terminals in the engine bay so that you don’t run the battery down (unless you want to run the engine while doing it). Again, this is helpful (especially for the first time) when you’re learning how the app works and scanning through all the modules to see what is available for coding.

If you haven’t watched any of the informative videos on YouTube (there’s some really good ones)...don ‘t freak out when the coding starts and you see warning/fault lights show up...this occurs as the coding is taking place and modules are being recoded & turning off/on.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0