BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
BBHMM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i

Unhappy Advice needed 2016 M6 Competition Edition

Hi everyone, i become lucky owner of 2016 M6 Competition Edition(BMW Certified until 2021), right after i picked up car same evening had a problem with weird noise coming from rear of the car when i was parking it(noise attached)https://voca.ro/888kE5U63ZW
so i bring car back for service showed them video with this noise, and after 2 days i received call from SA and he explained me this noise coming from Exshaust system, and the one on car is aftermarket M performance titanium Acrapovic witch cost around $8000 and coming with 2 year warranty, and only 1 they found was located in Germany, and they trying to see if that will be covered under my warranty.
Any advice in this case please?(i believe originally those cars coming with OEM titanium exhaust system so i i think it should be covered since car is BMW Certified)

Last edited by BBHMM; 06-17-2020 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
Glennyd64.00
      06-19-2020, 02:21 AM   #2
Rsnk60 M6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBHHM View Post
Hi everyone, i become lucky owner of 2016 M6 Competition Edition(BMW Certified until 2021), right after i picked up car same evening had a problem with weird noise coming from rear of the car when i was parking it(noise attached)https://voca.ro/888kE5U63ZW
so i bring car back for service showed them video with this noise, and after 2 days i received call from SA and he explained me this noise coming from Exshaust system, and the one on car is aftermarket M performance titanium Acrapovic witch cost around $8000 and coming with 2 year warranty, and only 1 they found was located in Germany, and they trying to see if that will be covered under my warranty.
Any advice in this case please?(i believe originally those cars coming with OEM titanium exhaust system so i i think it should be covered since car is BMW Certified)
It should be covered
      06-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
FullThrottle
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe, F10 M5

if its the M performance Akra, it should be covered regardless if it was bought with it stock or not.
      07-04-2020, 04:37 AM   #4
drs4life@comcast.net
Rep
Drives: 2016 F13 M6 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullThrottle View Post
if its the M performance Akra, it should be covered regardless if it was bought with it stock or not.
Sounds like the exhaust flap(s) rattling. I have aftermarket akrapovic exhaust too, purchased used (2016) M6 & heard this nasty sound from exhaust. after lifting the car & examining the exhaust, I was able to disconnect the little ball joint(actuator) threaded arm (tightened it) & now I hear nothing but that beautiful exhaust note! if your exhaust looks like this, the area in red is where I noticed play (as compared to the other side with no play & no rattle). The arm just pops right off at the ball joint. I then adjusted the green area (outward in my case) untill I had no more rattle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs4life@comcast.net View Post
Sounds like the exhaust flap(s) rattling. I have aftermarket akrapovic exhaust too, purchased used (2016) M6 & heard this nasty sound from exhaust. after lifting the car & examining the exhaust, I was able to disconnect the little ball joint(actuator) threaded arm (tightened it) & now I hear nothing but that beautiful exhaust note! if your exhaust looks like this, the area in red is where I noticed play (as compared to the other side with no play & no rattle). The arm just pops right off at the ball joint. I then adjusted the green area (outward in my case) untill I had no more rattle.
That is the actuator that opens and closes the valve. I wired mine open. I wasn't aware you can simply remove it, but if you remove or tightened it, it'll keep the valves closed longer.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
BBHMM
Private First Class
Rep

They checked exhaust flaps and found loose, and ordered new m performance exhaust, it is interesting that they ordered new exhaust and cover whole cost but in the end wright down "GOODWILL" what is that suppose to mean?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #7
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Guess they'll trash the old one
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
They checked exhaust flaps and found loose, and ordered new m performance exhaust, it is interesting that they ordered new exhaust and cover whole cost but in the end wright down "GOODWILL" what is that suppose to mean?
Goodwill means they cover it and you pay nothing. It's probably technically not correct from their internal accounting standpoint. It's technically a claim against the liability on their their balance sheet for allowances for warranty. But hey who am I to judge them for the internal accounting.

Good will typically means your car is out of warranty, but they still decided to cover it despite that
      07-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Guess they'll trash the old one
Message me to coordinate a time that you're free to go dumpster diving!
      07-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

If anything I would question them on the concept of Goodwill. It should be a technical claim against the warranty. In both cases you don't pay anything today for this incident.

The reason is important is that your car only gets a certain amount of goodwill allowance. And you don't want to use up that allowance when technically the warranty covers it. This will only come and play if say in 2022, a major issue comes up and they use some type of algorithm to determine how much goodwill to apply to your situation and that part of the algorithm see that you've used a $8,000 allowance already on the exhaust. It may reduce the amount of goodwill repairs that they are going to commit to you at that time, resulting in you paying more out of pocket.

I've done stuff like this for my X5. When the car was under CPO it also has some emissions issues. BMW fixed it under either the federal or California emissions warranty claim. I told them to register it as a claim against the CPO. Mostly because if anything happens again that's related to the fix, I could go back to them and say the CPO terms cover subsequent defects on the fixes that were not appropriately performed the first time around. The federal in California emissions warranty certainly does not have those provisions and does not force BMW to refix an issue that was caused by a poor remedy.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-10-2020 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00
BBHMM33.00
      07-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Message me to coordinate a time that you're free to go dumpster diving!
I'd drive the 8hrs to Chicago for that dumpster
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      07-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
I'd drive the 8hrs to Chicago for that dumpster
I'll pack myself into a middle seat of a plane during a pandemic for a dumpster that may or may not have a titanium muffler that rattles.
      08-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #13
BBHMM
Private First Class
Rep

Unfortunately my SA told me that they are returning exhaust to BMW for inspection :/
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #14
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately my SA told me that they are returning exhaust to BMW for inspection :/
Of course, it gets refurbished, or passed back to Akrapovic. The dumpster to dive at is really in Slovenia.
      08-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #15
Glennyd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

Quote:
Quote:
Make sure it's not your rotor protection shield rubbing first. It can sound like that
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #16
drs4life@comcast.net
Rep
Drives: 2016 F13 M6 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
That is the actuator that opens and closes the valve. I wired mine open. I wasn't aware you can simply remove it, but if you remove or tightened it, it'll keep the valves closed longer.
Not sure, but in my situation, I have an adjustible exhuast flap/valve controller, on the fly I can either set mine to closed/auto or open via my cruise control button.
Appreciate 0