BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
MarcusK24
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Warranty Question

I'm interested in purchasing a 2013 M6 vert with 42K miles, black on red.

I'm in California and the car is in New York. With that being said I'm kind of worried about condition. It's not my first m6 so I am sure I won't need to physically see it I'm only concerned with how it runs.

The car comes with a stage 1 tune, catback exhaust/ or some sort of exhaust system, and the transmission was replaced by the dealer for $7,000.

MY concern is, should I be worried about this car giving me problems? Im planning on purchasing the full plat warranty that covers it A-Z 5 yrs 100K miles but will I have a problem with my warranty being voided? I don't drive the car fast, and to be honest I rather remove the tune but If I do remove the tune, keep the exhaust, will my warranty ever be voided ?

Or should I just get a clean stock black on black with 32k miles for the same price.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I would go for the clean stock for the same price. I would be definitely worried about why they replaced the transmission on a car with so few miles.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

If you’re buying the warranty thru BMW I would steer clear, they may not know it’s tuned now and you may put it back to stock, but if you blow your engine and they do a diagnostic they will find out that the car was at one point tuned and it’s an easy claim denial. It sounds like this will be a stock keeper for you and your concern is warranty so go with an untuned car - have it PPI’d by a dealer to verify if you are uncertain.
      12-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Hmmmm, lets see, should I buy a car from New York or California......

Sorry buddy, but I can't believe thats even a question.

L
Appreciate 1
DRKNTM615.50
      12-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Honestly, if you plan on purchasing a 5yr 100k warranty there are literally thousands upon thousands of companies that offer aftermarket warranties that are accepted by major dealerships. I would stay clear of the BMW platinum plus warranty and get equivalent coverage from a reputable company offered by the dealership upon purchase. No third party company will reject a claim based on a tune uploaded to both DME's. That is BMW specific and its their way of keeping costs lower by not having people modify what they've spent billions on in engineering.

Also being a New York M6, I'd definitely stay clear. With the traffic we get here, Im pretty sure oil was forced/burnt from the valve stem seals at some point. The biggest cause of oil consumption and lack of lubrication to especially rod bearings in these cars are too much idling and low rpm driving. This beast needs the open road and its full rpm range.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I would go for the clean stock for the same price. I would be definitely worried about why they replaced the transmission on a car with so few miles.
This all day...
Appreciate 0