BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-08-2024, 08:44 AM   #1
JKinji
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F06

TPMS Help

Hello all,

My first post here, am looking for help with the TPMS system on my F06 2014,

couple of months ago i got a low pressure mesg on the screen in the rear tires, i got them filled up to specs, and again same thing after 2 weeks, but after i did reset the TPMS reading while driving, the warning never came again and i thought after i fixed the air leak at the tires that everything is fine now, but that is not the case, the TPMS is not showing any warnings even when i deflate the tires, or remove them away from the car, when i check on the system it always say TPMS OK.
I did scan the car using Autel scanner but nothing is there about the TPMS, any ideas? or anyone faced such an issue?

Note: tire are new and rims still on original 20''

Thanks in advance guys
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:02 AM   #2
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

You have to drive the car with wheels rotating for a distance (mine reset at about 1/4 mile) before they will update.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:26 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto what Walt said...the data is sent from the TPM sensors when they are rotating. See the info below...especially the paragraphs under WHEEL ELECTRONICS:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:44 AM   #4
JKinji
Registered
Rep

very informative, thank you very much. yes i did reset as instructions, but my issue now there is no response from the system and it does not show you any error, whenever i check the (Car Status) it always show green with no issue. even last week I had to remove the wheels and use a different wheels for couple of day! (Had to polish the rims) the TPMS did not through any errors like missing sensors or low on air.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 08:32 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinji View Post
very informative, thank you very much. yes i did reset as instructions, but my issue now there is no response from the system and it does not show you any error, whenever i check the (Car Status) it always show green with no issue. even last week I had to remove the wheels and use a different wheels for couple of day! (Had to polish the rims) the TPMS did not through any errors like missing sensors or low on air.
If the wheel you put on temporarily had a TPM sensor...then I don't see what the issue is.

The sensors only send data when the vehicle is rotating. If you take a wheel off, and put another on...it will not throw up an "error" unless the replacement wheel's info was below or above the threshold of the previous reset.

Although, anytime you remove a wheel...you should perform a reset to start a new baseline...but if you swap wheels and they all have sensors...if you don't perform a reset...it will use the previous baseline. And if the pressure in the wheels just mounted are within the specs of the old wheels you took off...again, there would be no "error" if the tire pressure is within the specs of the previous baseline.

Example:
  1. original tire has a 32 PSI spec
  2. replacement tire has a 32 PSI spec
...there will be no error message since there is no error...since the system is looking for a tire that has a 32 PSI spec...and the PSI is withing the allowable tolerance.

Since the car is parked and on jacks while replacing wheels...there is no data being sent to the RDC. When the car is started and the wheels begin to rotate...that is when the data is sent to the RDC as to location, temp, and pressure.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 01:28 AM   #6
JKinji
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If the wheel you put on temporarily had a TPM sensor...then I don't see what the issue is.

The sensors only send data when the vehicle is rotating. If you take a wheel off, and put another on...it will not throw up an "error" unless the replacement wheel's info was below or above the threshold of the previous reset.

Although, anytime you remove a wheel...you should perform a reset to start a new baseline...but if you swap wheels and they all have sensors...if you don't perform a reset...it will use the previous baseline. And if the pressure in the wheels just mounted are within the specs of the old wheels you took off...again, there would be no "error" if the tire pressure is within the specs of the previous baseline.

Example:
  1. original tire has a 32 PSI spec
  2. replacement tire has a 32 PSI spec
...there will be no error message since there is no error...since the system is looking for a tire that has a 32 PSI spec...and the PSI is withing the allowable tolerance.

Since the car is parked and on jacks while replacing wheels...there is no data being sent to the RDC. When the car is started and the wheels begin to rotate...that is when the data is sent to the RDC as to location, temp, and pressure.

Thanks for the info here, yes am aware of that, and yes the wheels i put were temporary until my original scratched ones get fixed, the temporary wheels were BMW 17'' original but without sensors, the shop used them usually as a temporary wheels until he gets his customer's wheels fixed instead of keeping the car at their workshop.

Thats why am a bit worried, as there was no sensors for couple of days and the TPMS did not throw any errors, even when the old wheels were on the car with a low pressure (Below specs) and the tires are rotating on the move, there was no error/warning message like the system used to do.

again i appreciate your help and time guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 05:45 AM   #7
Oris4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35i

I had a similar experience but slightly different, my car would not show the tire pressure at all but all TPMs were good. After trying everything and way to much research I eventually stopped into direct tire and they had a TPMs tool which fixed everything. Another note, I have an autel as well, it won’t do it, unless you have the specific autel TPMs tool
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 06:17 AM   #8
JKinji
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oris4 View Post
I had a similar experience but slightly different, my car would not show the tire pressure at all but all TPMs were good. After trying everything and way to much research I eventually stopped into direct tire and they had a TPMs tool which fixed everything. Another note, I have an autel as well, it won’t do it, unless you have the specific autel TPMs tool
I was looking into autel tool, which one you are using? the one seems good is the Maxicom MX808S-TS, am just checking around for a good deal on one
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 01:47 PM   #9
Oris4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35i

I have the mk808. I typically just use bimmerlink but I’m the process of downloading ista, from my research and everything I am told it blows everything out of the water, makes sense since it’s literally dedicated.
Appreciate 0