BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-03-2024, 04:19 PM   #1
LeeMajors
Registered
Rep
Drives: F06 2014 650i X-Drive

Water Damage - new owner

Hello all,

New member, first post, go easy or… not… all good.

Been working on cars, previously Audi S4’s and 3000GT’s, have done engine swaps, tuning, etc so I’m not a novice but def BMW Noob-ish. Bought a 2014 650i with X-Drive as a project, 49k miles.

Starts and drives and most systems work but the previous owner ran it into standing water (flood) and tried to back out but it stalled and stayed about mid-tire high in water for a couple hours until the wrecker pulled it out.

Water on the floorboards but not the seats, above the exhaust underneath but not above the steering wheel shaft to the power steering rack (brackish water, has typical salt marks from water staining so it’s clear to see. I like projects and tinkering so I don’t mind messing with a little on my time off.

Got the BimmerLink and a compatible reader on the way, but in the meantime the ABS/CSD module was running non-stop and killed the battery (original). Replaced battery, waiting for the reader so I can register the battery and get rid of the “discharging while not driving” message.

All fluids flushed and refilled. Trace water in oil and transmission nothing major, just a few swirls.

Error codes and issues:

1. Going to have to rebuild or replace the ABS module - best source used or rebuild source? It got wet and it’s running even after drying out the connectors so clearly it needs addressing.

2. Where EXACTLY is the ABS relay? I bought a relay but can’t find it on the tiny little schematic on the rear fuse panel and tried pulling the three I can see (two at the rear fuse panel and one in the glove compartment) and those aren’t it. Haven’t turned up a better diagram on the Google for where it lives.

3. Body control error - probably have to replace both front and rear level sensors best guess.

4. Power Steering fault - flushed fluid and it feels like it’s “half way” working. Stiff but not non-existent.

5. Right power window won’t move AT ALL. I reset the other three windows with the “Anti-Trap” error and now the error is gone but the right front power window didn’t work at all and still doesn’t.

6. All 4 bulbs (low and high left and right) are showing faults but function except no high beams on right headlight. Going to disconnect everything and let it dry further and re-connect.

Thoughts on any and all of the above and any other connectors at the wheel mid point and lower I should look at?

I know it’s going to take a little work to get through but the car is immaculate and if I can work through these should be fun.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 12:31 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You would probably get more detailed diagnoses info and diagnostic steps if you get ISTA instead of just BimmerLink.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 12:02 PM   #3
LeeMajors
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
You would probably get more detailed diagnoses info and diagnostic steps if you get ISTA instead of just BimmerLink.
Interesting, I hadn’t heard of ISTA. Can you still use the same OBD tool for it?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 06:41 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMajors View Post
Interesting, I hadn’t heard of ISTA. Can you still use the same OBD tool for it?
No. ISTA is what dealers use. You download it to a laptop. Much steeper learning curve, but for a car like yours probably worth it. You can read a lot about it here, or on the BMW forums generally. Nothing beats it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 09:35 PM   #5
LeeMajors
Registered
Rep

Cool thanks, I looked at it. Have to dust off my windows laptop. Haven’t used it in years. If I hit a wall with BimmerLink I’ll definitely get it and hope to get it all straight, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 06:22 PM   #6
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

With a name like Lee Majors you really think we're going to go easy
Appreciate 0