BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-01-2023, 08:53 AM   #1
nepenthe
Rep
Drives: 2015 650 Gran Coupe x-drive

New or Rebuilt Engine Advice Please

Hello All,

I have a 2015 650 x-drive Gran Coupe that has been an absolutely fantastic car since I bought it CPO in 2017. It has been dealer maintained and currently has 167,000 miles that have been trouble-free aside from wear items.

Last week I got a drivetrain malfunction warning. It said driving was still possible, but without maximum output. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer, who diagnosed the issue as cam solenoids one cylinder bank. I ordered them replaced for $1,650 + tax.

After three days in the shop I got the following message from the service advisor this morning:

Gm. The solenoids are replaced and it still won’t pass the test. It still has faults for vanos gears and it keeps failing the timing chain test. This means it at minimum it would need vanos units and timing chains. With this many miles on the car the only repair at this point is to replace the engine itself b/c the chains and vanos units have too much wear to try to replace alone. Also the cost would be extreme. This is obviously too much money to invest into this car at this point.

We still need to put some stuff back together so this morning pick up won’t work. I should have all back together by mid morning and then you could grab it later today Or tomorrow if you are at work until late. I wish I had better news to give you. I will advise when it’s all back together.

An engine replacement has been quoted at approximately $21,000. To those more familiar with the engine than I am, where would you go from here?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 09:41 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I don't think the car is worth enough to invest in either a new or rebuilt engine. Neither option would really increase the value of a car with that many miles very much. It can't realistically be worth more than $12,000 to $15,000 at those miles even with an operating engine. A used engine is the only viable option, but even that would be a chunk of change relative to the car's value. If it were me, I think I'd honestly sell the car as is and move on with my life.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 08:29 AM   #3
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
To those more familiar with the engine than I am, where would you go from here?
An 8-series.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 02:55 PM   #4
nepenthe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I don't think the car is worth enough to invest in either a new or rebuilt engine. Neither option would really increase the value of a car with that many miles very much. It can't realistically be worth more than $12,000 to $15,000 at those miles even with an operating engine. A used engine is the only viable option, but even that would be a chunk of change relative to the car's value. If it were me, I think I'd honestly sell the car as is and move on with my life.
Good advice. Thank you. Where would you go to sell a car with a drivetrain malfunction? eBay? FB Marketplace? Carvana?

Last edited by nepenthe; 12-02-2023 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
Good advice. Thank you. Where would you go to sell a car with a drivetrain malfunction? eBay? FB Marketplace? Carvana?
I doubt Carvana buys cars that need an engine. I'd say FB or Craigslist. It needs to be shipped, so a local buyer might be best like you will get on Craigslist. I'd be candid about it needing an engine and not just say it has a drivetrain malfunction. I would not expect to get a lot for it. You'd get more if it had a functioning used engine, but that would be a hassle. I'd clean it up and photograph it good so it looks salvageable, but I'd probably have a "make offer" price - or maybe "$3,500 or offer." If the car is clean and desirable otherwise, it will sell. If it has great options, like the B&O stereo, it will be easier probably. Somebody will put a used engine in it themselves probably.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 02:54 PM   #6
nepenthe
Rep

I wanted to close the loop on this. I wound up driving the car for another ~2,000 miles while looking for a new one. It would run fine until warm, then throw a code and have reduced power. Ultimately I believe the chain slipped further while on the highway one day. It required a tow and would start, but run extremely rough and was not drivable.

I listed it on e-bay and it sold in just a few days to a mechanic who was going to do the work as a side project. It has been replaced with an M850 convertible.

Thank you again for all the help! It was a great car that offered 170,000 nearly trouble-free miles.
Appreciate 0