BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-16-2024, 12:34 PM   #1
Heron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

2005 645Ci No Start

Hello, im new to the forums.
Yesterday i just picked up a used 2005 645ci. It was involved in an accident. The seller gave me a new battery for the car.

When i tried to start it at the guys house, it would click, no crank, no start. I checked the dtc and found code 2f44 "ews manipulation". As planned, i had it towed home.

Now today, i went to the car and was able to clear that code using inpa and resyncing the ews and cas or dme or whatever it was. Code no longer shows, but still the same thing no crank and no start.

So i started chasing down what i would consider to be an issue with the starter. A lot of searching on forums and yielding little information to what i was trying to find, but just enough.

I found the IVM module and took out pin #15 in connector X60093 that goes to the starter. I put the key into the ignition and turned it to the on position, grabbed a random wire i had and jumped the #15 wire to the positive bolt used to jump start the car. It started right up!

I had a few times were the car also wouldnt start with the jumper. But when it cranks the starter seems to crank okay.

I think my starter is good, i doubt theres any issue with ignition but starting this car normally just doesnt work.

Im thinking my issue is with the IVM module, what do you guys think.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 05:14 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Are you familiar with the BST (battery safety terminal)? It wasn’t mentioned in your post…you can simply google it to get an idea of what it is and what occurs in some accidents. Find it on your positive battery terminal (or somewhere around it) to make sure that the pyrotechnic designed into it did NOT explode and separate the cable running from the engine bay to the battery.

EDIT:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 05:24 PM   #3
Heron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Are you familiar with the BST (battery safety terminal)? If not, simply google it to get an idea of what it is and what occurs in some accidents. Find it on your positive battery terminal (or somewhere around it) to make sure that the pyrotechnic designed into it did NOT explode and separate the cable running from the engine bay to the battery.
Is that on the positive battery wire right by the terminal connector?

If so, i ended up reconnecting the two ends back to together, this didnt fix my issue. Ive checked a handful of fuses relating to the starter mainly with none blown.

Ive been encountering an issue even when i go to jump the #15 wire to the positive jump terminal. The starter will sometimes not turn over even when connecting and then at random will go. I found out that i believe the jumping doesnt work if the battery dips below 11.5v it seems. I ended up hooking up my van and jumped it and the car started right up.

The starter cranks quick didnt sound like it had an issue.

What do you think, does the ivm have a cutoff after a certain voltage is reached where the starter relay connect complete under a certain voltage? Could the starter have a bad ground or connection?
Appreciate 0