BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Hey all,

I pulled the trigger on a 2015 650i Gran Coupe and I'm excited to be apart of the forum. It has 76k miles on it and I bought it for 25k. Fortunately, I sold my X4M lease for a profit of 8800! So, in the end I have 19k left to pay on the car. Now on to the list of fixes need.

-Front Bumper is shot. Scraped up from curbs and paint is coming off in multiple spots. New bumper is ordered and it will be installed on 11/8.

-Paint has some clear coat failure or something on the drivers side strip of paint above the doors. This requires the whole panel to be repainted. Total for both repairs is $2483.37

-Drivers seat is sliding when I take turns. I've lubricated it per a thread on this forum and it's much better but not quite fixed. I'm going to have to see if I can find a better fix that won't cost $$$$.

-Car is going in to the independent shop tomorrow to do an oil change and give a full inspection. I had one done at the dealership but they did a terrible job to the point they refunded the inspection (this will pay for the inspection and oil change) my coin pocket/ashtray in the center console is stuck with coins, so I'm going to see what they can do with it. Finally i don't think spark plugs have been done so I think it is time.

- Day after to the detail shop! They'll be fixing the curb rash on two of the wheels and their leather guy will work on filling and redying the cracks in the seats. They were pretty dirty, so I've already cleaned them but hopefully they can make them look a lot better. Once the bumper and repaint is done I'll have them do a 1 stage paint correction to shine it up. The paint is pretty rough.

-Finally, I'm going to start with an extended warranty company. After some research I'm going to try Toco. Cost is $199 a month with first month waived. They cover almost everything and I can cancel whenever. I'm currently going through a divorce so I'll show the payment as an expense, but I have the ability to cancel whenever once it's finalized. Let's hope everything runs well.

I've put pictures in order of the comments above. Final two are the car and interior (and my daughter). Feel free to make any suggestions!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliartis View Post
Hey all,

I pulled the trigger on a 2015 650i Gran Coupe and I'm excited to be apart of the forum. It has 76k miles on it and I bought it for 25k. Fortunately, I sold my X4M lease for a profit of 8800! So, in the end I have 19k left to pay on the car. Now on to the list of fixes need.

-Front Bumper is shot. Scraped up from curbs and paint is coming off in multiple spots. New bumper is ordered and it will be installed on 11/8.

-Paint has some clear coat failure or something on the drivers side strip of paint above the doors. This requires the whole panel to be repainted. Total for both repairs is $2483.37

-Drivers seat is sliding when I take turns. I've lubricated it per a thread on this forum and it's much better but not quite fixed. I'm going to have to see if I can find a better fix that won't cost $$$$.

-Car is going in to the independent shop tomorrow to do an oil change and give a full inspection. I had one done at the dealership but they did a terrible job to the point they refunded the inspection (this will pay for the inspection and oil change) my coin pocket/ashtray in the center console is stuck with coins, so I'm going to see what they can do with it. Finally i don't think spark plugs have been done so I think it is time.

- Day after to the detail shop! They'll be fixing the curb rash on two of the wheels and their leather guy will work on filling and redying the cracks in the seats. They were pretty dirty, so I've already cleaned them but hopefully they can make them look a lot better. Once the bumper and repaint is done I'll have them do a 1 stage paint correction to shine it up. The paint is pretty rough.

-Finally, I'm going to start with an extended warranty company. After some research I'm going to try Toco. Cost is $199 a month with first month waived. They cover almost everything and I can cancel whenever. I'm currently going through a divorce so I'll show the payment as an expense, but I have the ability to cancel whenever once it's finalized. Let's hope everything runs well.

I've put pictures in order of the comments above. Final two are the car and interior (and my daughter). Feel free to make any suggestions!
Well. I tried to post pictures but the app crashes whenever I do that. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I'm a computer dumb dumb who thinks app is an abbreviation for apple, but I always have success posting pictures by saving them to the pictures folder on my computer, then click on the Attachments paperclip icon at the top of a message here and open them that way. Always works for me w/o a hitch.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I'm a computer dumb dumb who thinks app is an abbreviation for apple, but I always have success posting pictures by saving them to the pictures folder on my computer, then click on the Attachments paperclip icon at the top of a message here and open them that way. Always works for me w/o a hitch.
I got it! I had to do less per post even though I was under the picture limit.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Why would you get new bumper for that minor damage? That's and easy fix and respray.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 07:10 PM   #6
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Why would you get new bumper for that minor damage? That's and easy fix and respray.
The other lower side was cracked as well. Sorry didn't post that pic. It was hard to see.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #7
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 30d & 2013 640i GC

welcome and nice car. I love the color and the interior. Can you post more interior pics?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #8
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esthero View Post
welcome and nice car. I love the color and the interior. Can you post more interior pics?
Update #1

Got her an oil change and a brake flush!

Also they looked at the drivers seat and apparently the owner has the same car and his seat moves too. Thanks to this forum it's largely fixed after spraying the two bottom clips, but not perfect. Sounds like the only fix is essentially a new seat bottom. Not worth the money right now.

They also got the coins out and I can open my ashtray/ coin section. There are still some coins in the center armrest, but you can't hear them and I don't feel like paying to take apart the center arm rest.

Tomorrow we fix the curb rash on two wheels and fill in and dye seats.

I'll post more interior pictures tomorrow and hopefully some good before and afters.

Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #9
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Update #1

Also they looked at the drivers seat and apparently the owner has the same car and his seat moves too. Thanks to this forum it's largely fixed after spraying the two bottom clips, but not perfect. Sounds like the only fix is essentially a new seat bottom. Not worth the money right now.

They also got the coins out and I can open my ashtray/ coin section. There are still some coins in the center armrest, but you can't hear them and I don't feel like paying to take apart the center arm rest.

I'll post more interior pictures tomorrow and hopefully some good before and afters.

Appreciate the help!
Here are some interior pics before taking to get the leather touched up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 06:33 PM   #10
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Update #1

Appreciate the help!
Here are some interior pics before taking to get the leather touched up
Before and Afters
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JBF650115.50
NDAzone13.50
      11-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #11
Coaldog
Rep
Drives: 18 650i Gran Coupe

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 09:29 PM   #12
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaldog View Post
Looks great!
Cost me $400 for the interior. Being that the whole interior was leather they touched up every crease, scratch, etc on seats and doors. Overall very good job. They also refinished two wheels that were pretty bad curb rashed for $125 a wheel
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #13
Dfilpo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640XI Gran coupe

Quote:
Cost me $400 for the interior. Being that the whole interior was leather they touched up every crease, scratch, etc on seats and doors. Overall very good job. They also refinished two wheels that were pretty bad curb rashed for $125 a wheel
Awesome I have the same Opal white interior with Black alcantara .

This interior combination is very hard to come across so congratulations.
Considering the price you paid for the car and the time ( during the pandemic) this is a very reasonable deal.

However I would suggest get a bottle of leather dye from colourlock or leatherdoctors for future accidents.

Good luck ! and enjoy ! I love the pictures
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #14
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Can sometimes be hard to judge from photos, but I'm guessing you are pretty pleased with that result. I don't know how true it is, but I read once that the finish on the Merino leather individual interiors is more easily damaged and worn. I have the regular nappa, but I'm conscious of how I get in and out so as not to rub the driver's seat bolster.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #15
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Can sometimes be hard to judge from photos, but I'm guessing you are pretty pleased with that result. I don't know how true it is, but I read once that the finish on the Merino leather individual interiors is more easily damaged and worn. I have the regular nappa, but I'm conscious of how I get in and out so as not to rub the driver's seat bolster.
Thanks! Yeah I'm happy with the deal. The guy who did it is local so he said we'll keep in touch and they can help with touch ups as it wears. I can see this leather not wearing well, so I'll need to keep an eye on it. They are coming back to do the steering wheel. Monday the bumper gets replaced and the clear coat gets repaired on another panel.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 10:12 AM   #16
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

Never been a fan of light color interiors but that combo is sexy. Congratulatuons on the purchase! Get yourself a wifi obd II adapter and download Bimmercode. This way you can start playing around with some hidden features you may find useful.
My car is a 17 640ixdrive in black sapphire metallic (I like the stealth look) and came with id5. I was able to code the idrive to id6 light for a more refreshed and modern interface.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Nice update…looks like they did a good job on the leather touch up.

My tip (in regard to the leather) is to get a few microfiber towels…and regularly give the leather surfaces (seats, doors, dash, & steering wheel) a damp (not wet) wipe down….just plain water will do. Dust/dirt/grit etc is the REAL enemy of soft leathers like Nappa & Merino. ..it abraded the surface as you enter exit etc. Giving these surfaces a regular damp dusting will go a LONG way in keeping them in good condition. Probably more so that expensive conditioners and cleaners (nothing against them). The conditioners and cleaners should be something in your care “arsenal” for secondary care/upkeep. The damp dusting should be done regularly (like at every wash & vacuuming).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 02:55 PM   #18
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

The bolster on my driver seat was pretty worn at 30K miles. Dealer replaced under Warranty. BUT he replaced the seat which was fine - not the bolster. SA said the bolster isn't worn enough to replace - thought I meant the seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:06 AM   #19
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Man, the white wood trim is something special. I searched for the parts to retrofit on my 650i for a long time but to no avail.
      11-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #20
tliartis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Man, the white wood trim is something special. I searched for the parts to retrofit on my 650i for a long time but to no avail.
Update:

Got the bumper installed and the one spot fixed! Attached picture of new bumper.

Slight problem. Yesterday while getting groceries someone hit the side of my car and scraped from the back door to the bumper. A lot of the scratches won't buff off and where the main scratch is it dented the length of the door to quarter panel. Body shop says a week to do the work and $1900 to fix the dent and do paintwork on the two doors, quarter panel, and bumper. I could go without it but after the time and work out it I'm probably going forward with it. Pictures aren't great of it. They are after I cleaned off everything on it. Worse in person, hard to see on silver. I even parked with no one on either side of me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:20 PM   #21
Billyperks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535XI 2014 650XI

They always find us-no matter how far away you are in a parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #22
Henkan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83, 650 F12, X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyperks View Post
They always find us-no matter how far away you are in a parking lot.
What is the matter with the idiots that park next to you, even if you are furthest away in the parking lot and there are plenty of other spaces? When you get back to the car there's always a moron parked up next to you.
Gone: 2002 BMW 330i Convertible E46
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive 30e G01
Appreciate 0