BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-10-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
Mspired
CarGeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Drivetrain Malfunction - DME related?

Greeting folks.. I've done a little searching and come across a number of drivetrain malfunction threads and posts, but so many different responses. Figured I'd share mine to see if anyone can relate or has helpful feedback.

Car is 2014 CP M6 - 40k miles. I've had the car for 6 months. 6k miles put on it of normal driving. Occasional hard pulls.

Last weekly, I came through the toll booth and accelerated kinda hard to 70mph, a car cut in my lane and I had to brake pretty hard. Upon pressing the gas again, the drivetrain malfunction warning came on. Car loss power and sounded a little off. I took it to the dealership and they initially said they want to change coil 3 and 4, along with the spark plugs. Change that, then they say it looks like injector 3 needs to be replaced. Change that and the car is still giving the DM error. They then say, one of the dme's needs to be replaced. Said they switched them which then cleared the cylinder 3 issue, but now the issue was in cylinder 6. So they are saying the dme is the issue. Additionally, they say my car is giving their system feedback of a possible tune. I never tuned the car, so if it is, it was tuned by the last owner. But the car does not feel tuned. (sounds crazy to say lol).

So curious if anyone has experience anything similar or might have some feedback to share. I appreciate it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspired View Post
Greeting folks.. I've done a little searching and come across a number of drivetrain malfunction threads and posts, but so many different responses. Figured I'd share mine to see if anyone can relate or has helpful feedback.

Car is 2014 CP M6 - 40k miles. I've had the car for 6 months. 6k miles put on it of normal driving. Occasional hard pulls.

Last weekly, I came through the toll booth and accelerated kinda hard to 70mph, a car cut in my lane and I had to brake pretty hard. Upon pressing the gas again, the drivetrain malfunction warning came on. Car loss power and sounded a little off. I took it to the dealership and they initially said they want to change coil 3 and 4, along with the spark plugs. Change that, then they say it looks like injector 3 needs to be replaced. Change that and the car is still giving the DM error. They then say, one of the dme's needs to be replaced. Said they switched them which then cleared the cylinder 3 issue, but now the issue was in cylinder 6. So they are saying the dme is the issue. Additionally, they say my car is giving their system feedback of a possible tune. I never tuned the car, so if it is, it was tuned by the last owner. But the car does not feel tuned. (sounds crazy to say lol).

So curious if anyone has experience anything similar or might have some feedback to share. I appreciate it. Thanks.
I had a few drivetrain malfunctions early on in my ownership around the same mileage.

When my malfunction was occurring, it was consistently cylinder 8, but I decided to replace all 8 plugs and coil packs as they are scheduled for the 60k maintenance anyways. I figured why not start there if I would have to do them eventually as plugs and coils are relatively cheap compared to injectors. Have never had the issue since.

May be worth doing in your case. I feel like trying to pinpoint which cylinder coil/plug/injector is a short lived solution anyways even if you do get it right. Replacing just one or two of the 8 would only get you by for so long until the next one goes, leaving you to pay labor on the same job over and over until they're all eventually replaced.

I recommend this as I haven't personally seen any instances where the DME was the root cause of drivetrain malfunctions (emphasis on 'I haven't personally seen') and that sounds like a pretty expensive replacement, so I hope you can avoid that.
      02-11-2021, 06:48 AM   #3
Mspired
CarGeek
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Quote:

I had a few drivetrain malfunctions early on in my ownership around the same mileage.

When my malfunction was occurring, it was consistently cylinder 8, but I decided to replace all 8 plugs and coil packs as they are scheduled for the 60k maintenance anyways. I figured why not start there if I would have to do them eventually as plugs and coils are relatively cheap compared to injectors. Have never had the issue since.

May be worth doing in your case. I feel like trying to pinpoint which cylinder coil/plug/injector is a short lived solution anyways even if you do get it right. Replacing just one or two of the 8 would only get you by for so long until the next one goes, leaving you to pay labor on the same job over and over until they're all eventually replaced.

I recommend this as I haven't personally seen any instances where the DME was the root cause of drivetrain malfunctions (emphasis on 'I haven't personally seen') and that sounds like a pretty expensive replacement, so I hope you can avoid that.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually mentioned to the tech that we should probably just change all of the coils and plugs now.

They quoted $2200 for the dme replacement. I have an aftermarket warranty which gave me some sense of hope here. But then I was told their system detected a tune on my car. So the warranty company could potentially deny the claim. That would completely suck as I bought the warranty at the time of the car purchase, and if the car is in fact tuned, it was also tuned during the time of the purchase. So I basically wasted my money on the warranty. And I have no idea how to tell if my car is really tuned.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Did you buy the car from a dealer or was it person to person. I am thinking if a dealer sold the car and the warranty then they are on the hook to make you whole.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
Mspired
CarGeek
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Did you buy the car from a dealer or was it person to person. I am thinking if a dealer sold the car and the warranty then they are on the hook to make you whole.
I bought the car from a dealer, and the warranty as well. My thoughts are that they should take some responsibility here. They essentially sold me a car that was modified (tuned dme), which ultimately led to an issue with the dme. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the GM at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #6
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
I bought the car from a dealer, and the warranty as well. My thoughts are that they should take some responsibility here. They essentially sold me a car that was modified (tuned dme), which ultimately led to an issue with the dme. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the GM at the dealer.
Unless the car was sold CPO by BMW and somehow got through with a tune on it, I hate to say it but I doubt you'll have much success with any recourse from the dealer. Usually, dealer implied warranties after the sale only apply to catastrophic drivetrain failures, but it does vary from state to state. However, maybe I'm wrong and you bought the car from a very generous dealer that is willing to work with you on it.

I would say your best bet is to submit a cancellation for the warranty if now the bulk of it is nullified by the tune. I know with some warranties if you cancel the warranty before the coverage period ends, they can refund a prorated amount based on the coverage term remaining. Again, not sure what the specific terms are around your specific warranty, but it may be worth looking into in order to offset the costs associated with the DME replacement.