BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #23
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
I've already seen 20K off sticker brand new without even stepping into the showroom or haggling over price. Anyone who buys that car in California is literally paying 35k more out the door and that depreciates another 15K the minute that goes out the door. 50k loss after the first minute is just plain stupidity in my mind for a mass-produced car that will be worth 50K in four years.
Exactly. To make matters worse, the design suffered and the price increased substantially - adding in those "value" intangibles would make the math even worse.

Second contact from my dealer (came in yesterday) asking me to come down and test drive the M850. I particularly liked the part where the guy told me it would be a "big upgrade" over my 650. Haha. I like my sales advisor there, but it's clear they're having trouble drumming up interest. I'm politely declining the invitation.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #24
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Exactly. To make matters worse, the design suffered and the price increased substantially - adding in those "value" intangibles would make the math even worse.

Second contact from my dealer (came in yesterday) asking me to come down and test drive the M850. I particularly liked the part where the guy told me it would be a "big upgrade" over my 650. Haha. I like my sales advisor there, but it's clear they're having trouble drumming up interest. I'm politely declining the invitation.
You should ask him "besides the extra power, where is the upgrade"? If he says the design, tell him you'll just get the fugly 2GC and save over $100k.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #25
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
You should ask him "besides the extra power, where is the upgrade"? If he says the design, tell him you'll just get the fugly 2GC and save over $100k.
Hahaha... it's true. Reminds me of when the E38 replacement came out, and I tried for years to like it, but I could never get there. It was plain ugly, especially off the back of the E38. Now, many years later, everyone pretty universally acknowledges this, but at the time... man were they pushing it. I don't think history will be kind to the new 8. The coupe may get away with less criticism, but this 8GC... not so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #26
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Hahaha... it's true. Reminds me of when the E38 replacement came out, and I tried for years to like it, but I could never get there. It was plain ugly, especially off the back of the E38. Now, many years later, everyone pretty universally acknowledges this, but at the time... man were they pushing it. I don't think history will be kind to the new 8. The coupe may get away with less criticism, but this 8GC... not so much.
The 8GC is not bad in the grand scheme, but for $100-$150, no way! I'll probably pick one up as a winter beater in 5 years at $30k or less. Or maybe I'll just keep the 6, which will be worth less than $15k by then!

I was thinking of the 2GC as a beater but it's so ugly. Will probably get the 2 coupe in manual as a beater as my son's first car. So many beater choices with BMW now. They are all worth "nothing" after just a few years. I hope BMW keeps making crappier cars that depreciate like rocks. It's a used car and beater buyer's dream!
Appreciate 1